General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Case recommendations?

Postby docbop » 13 Jun 2022, 21:59

As a former roadie if you will be flying your gear as baggage make sure it has handle and maybe wheels to not only make it easy for you to grab and go, but for baggage handlers to pickup or move. Baggage handlers are treated like crap by the airlines constant hurry, hurry, hurry. So a lot of damage comes when things aren't easy for baggage handlers to pickup and move. Sadly sometimes when gear is hard to move it become a target of baggage handler frustration. So make sure your gear has handles and maybe wheel is big.
docbop

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby muzicman0 » 13 Jun 2022, 22:51

docbop wrote:As a former roadie if you will be flying your gear as baggage make sure it has handle and maybe wheels to not only make it easy for you to grab and go, but for baggage handlers to pickup or move. Baggage handlers are treated like crap by the airlines constant hurry, hurry, hurry. So a lot of damage comes when things aren't easy for baggage handlers to pickup and move. Sadly sometimes when gear is hard to move it become a target of baggage handler frustration. So make sure your gear has handles and maybe wheel is big.

All great points. In my case (see what I did there???), I can't imagine flying this anywhere, It will be used at church and home, so mild travel in the back of my truck. With that said, my Roland A88 has been (cosmetically) damaged from other people while being stored at the church, so I wanted a better case for the Nord.
muzicman0

Postby muzicman0 » 14 Jun 2022, 20:15

Here are some pictures of the Gator TSA case. I used the 1 inch foam pads in the bottom actually (far left and right), and the eggcrate in the top. I didn't use the 2" foam blocks at all. Because I'm a bit obsessive, I bought some neoprene to put in the bottom between the 1" pads (so in the bottom, from left to right, 1" block foam, 3-4" of 'void', 29 inches of 1" thick neoprene, 3-4 inches of 'void', then the last 1 inch foam block). Seems very secure. I think the neoprene gives it just a bit more shock absorption, and it cost less than $20, so well worth it.

[EDIT]I changed my internal layout. Having the 1" blocks on the bottom actually made the knobs hit the top of the case. So I changed it so that I have a piece of 1/2" neoprene along the bottom for the Nord to sit on, and that's it. I left the egg-crate at the top and place another small 1/2" piece of neoprene under it just to keep it snug in the case (cut the neoprene to roughly the same size as the egg-crate foam). I could probably come up with a way to attach the neoprene to the egg-crate foam, but don't really feel the need to. Still really like this case!

Last edited by muzicman0 on 06 Nov 2022, 19:42, edited 2 times in total.
muzicman0

Postby Winds » 15 Jun 2022, 02:56

muzicman0 wrote:Here are some pictures of the Gator TSA case. I used the 1 inch foam pads in the bottom actually (far left and right), and the eggcrate in the top. I didn't use the 2" foam blocks at all. Because I'm a bit obsessive, I bought some neoprene to put in the bottom between the 1" pads (so in the bottom, from left to right, 1" block foam, 3-4" of 'void', 29 inches of 1" thick neoprene, 3-4 inches of 'void', then the last 1 inch foam block). Seems very secure. I think the neoprene gives it just a bit more shock absorption, and it cost less than $20, so well worth it.

Isn't it tiring to lug around without wheels?
Last edited by Winds on 15 Jun 2022, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
Winds

Location: that somewhat lesser known country on Borneo Island near to Singapore

Postby Kaffimusic » 15 Jun 2022, 09:17

The Gator cases of this kind have wheels. At least mine has. You can carry it like a weapons-case, but also roll it. It has an additional grip on the end opposite to the wheels. You can see it on the left side in the picture. It is held down by springs when not used. The Gator cases are thoughtfully made and good quality.
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 15 Jun 2022, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby muzicman0 » 15 Jun 2022, 20:45

Winds wrote:Isn't it tiring to lug around without wheels?

Kaffimusic wrote:The Gator cases of this kind have wheels. At least mine has. You can carry it like a weapons-case, but also roll it. It has an additional grip on the end opposite to the wheels. You can see it on the left side in the picture. It is held down by springs when not used. The Gator cases are thoughtfully made and good quality.

Correct, it has wheels. It is still a beast though. Although, it's fairly easy to get into the back of my truck, and it just fits in the bed of my Ranger.
muzicman0

Postby neomad » 16 Jun 2022, 09:24

I bought the Thomann custom case for NS3 Compact, and it protects the keyboard perfectly. However, adds a significant weight. Hence, I recently bought a Nord gig bag, and is way lighter while protecting the keyboard with quite thick layers.
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Postby mistral_73 » 23 Jun 2022, 23:26

Note:
If you have a cat, you can't go wrong with the nord soft case.

Regards
Attachments
nord.jpg
nord.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 1846 times

The author mistral_73 was thanked by:
PScooter63
mistral_73

Postby M1tsos » 26 Jun 2022, 12:57

mistral_73 wrote:Note:
If you have a cat, you can't go wrong with the nord soft case.

Regards

Omg i wouldnt let my cat go near there… i dont like it because they leave to much hair…
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum