Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Filter/ Frequency changes for synth/pad in Nord Grand

Postby nenordgrandlover » 16 Jan 2021, 00:13

Hi everyone,

I know obviously Nord Grand/ Nord Piano is not Nord Stage. I love everything about my nord grand, and since I don't just play piano,
I would play synth/ pad from the synth sample lib, but i found it lacks the freq/ filter knob like the one you have on nord stage,
just to play around with the intensity of the synth/ pad I am playing.

I am wondering if there is a way to do the same effect in Nord Grand/ Nord Piano, perhaps using expressive pedal or other options?
Thank you very much!
nenordgrandlover

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Filter/ Frequency changes for synth/pad in Nord Grand

Sponsor

Re: Filter/ Frequency changes for synth/pad in Nord Grand

Postby FZiegler » 16 Jan 2021, 01:10

The sample synth of the Grand is - as far as I understood - a sample player with basic sound shaping facilities. That's it. You'll find that in the manual (p. 13 and MIDI feature list p. 25). No morphing, too.

It's exactly as you said: The Grand isn't a Stage. Not the same knobs, not the same engines, not the same keys.
Last edited by FZiegler on 16 Jan 2021, 01:11, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 16 Jan 2021, 14:37

That beautiful NG flat top is just crying out for a 2nd keyboard to perform synth duties. I'd go that route rather than trying to shoe-horn a half-proverbialed solution with pedals etc.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Fritz Frigursson » 16 Jan 2021, 15:39

CountFosco wrote:That beautiful NG flat top is just crying out for a 2nd keyboard to perform synth duties. I'd go that route rather than trying to shoe-horn a half-proverbialed solution with pedals etc.

The space is only around 15cm, I don't think you can fit anything full sized there... maybe a Yamaha Reface CS?
Fritz Frigursson

Postby nenordgrandlover » 16 Jan 2021, 16:31

Thank you all for the responses.

Ultimately, I know Nord Grand is no Nord Stage, and they are made for completely different purposes. But I am new to the whole Nord system (been using Roland RDs for the longest time), and mostly play piano.
But now I am branching out into using more synth world, and I want to learn more about the effects. I saw a video of someone demo-ing nord stage while playing a shimmering pad,
and it amazed me how the 'intensity' or 'complexity' of the sound can change just from the turn of the knobs, what a great thing to utilize for the sake of dynamic and arrangements in a song.

Thank you for proposing the use of a 2nd keyboard. That is an option, but with what I spent on the Grand (with monitors etc.), I would be very cautious to spend more money for another keyboard at the moment.
I was hoping if there is a more economical alternatives. but again, thank you! I love this forum - I learned so much already!
nenordgrandlover

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby maxpiano » 16 Jan 2021, 16:43

nenordgrandlover wrote:Thank you for proposing the use of a 2nd keyboard. That is an option, but with what I spent on the Grand (with monitors etc.), I would be very cautious to spend more money for another keyboard at the moment.
I was hoping if there is a more economical alternatives. but again, thank you! I love this forum - I learned so much already!

The second keyboard CountFosco mentioned could just be a synth-action MIDI master keyb, which you can buy for 100 bucks or less ;-)
(just ensure it has MIDI DIN output and not just USB and the slimmer the better, so it will fit best on top of the NG)
Last edited by maxpiano on 16 Jan 2021, 16:51, edited 6 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 16 Jan 2021, 19:23

maxpiano wrote:The second keyboard CountFosco mentioned could just be a synth-action MIDI master keyb, which you can buy for 100 bucks or less ;-)

... to connect to a software synth engine (from an iPad or a PC), not the Grand.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby baekgaard » 16 Jan 2021, 22:52

The Grand is, as noted already, not having a full fledged synth. But you can use a pedal to vary eg the volume of your background pad, and you can route the pad through a pan/tremolo as well as chorus, to make it vary more sonically, and you can use the EQ to shape the sound a bit. You can also let s control pedal change the pan/tremolo depth.

So there are small things you can do to shape the sound a bit - but of course nowhere close to what a synth can do :-)

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby DirectContact » 17 Jan 2021, 20:37

nenordgrandlover wrote:Thank you all for the responses.

Ultimately, I know Nord Grand is no Nord Stage, and they are made for completely different purposes. But I am new to the whole Nord system (been using Roland RDs for the longest time), and mostly play piano.
But now I am branching out into using more synth world, and I want to learn more about the effects. I saw a video of someone demo-ing nord stage while playing a shimmering pad,
and it amazed me how the 'intensity' or 'complexity' of the sound can change just from the turn of the knobs, what a great thing to utilize for the sake of dynamic and arrangements in a song.

Thank you for proposing the use of a 2nd keyboard. That is an option, but with what I spent on the Grand (with monitors etc.), I would be very cautious to spend more money for another keyboard at the moment.

Some options here are:

1. Buy a dedicated hardware synth. Seeing as you mentioned maxing your budget out at the moment (trust me I fully understand this ha) that may not be an option.

2. Use the NG as a MIDI controller and use a software synth. Personally I’d recommend something like u-He Diva. That way you have the great keyboard of the NG and you can simply map any knob as the cutoff filter. Imo, Diva sounds as good as most hardware synths. I have used the NP4 to control my Korg Minilogue XD a few times through Ableton with really nice results. Albeit the XD is only a 4 voice poly synth.
DirectContact

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby GEran21 » 23 Jun 2022, 02:22

DirectContact wrote:
nenordgrandlover wrote:Thank you all for the responses.

Some options here are:

1. Buy a dedicated hardware synth. Seeing as you mentioned maxing your budget out at the moment (trust me I fully understand this ha) that may not be an option.

2. Use the NG as a MIDI controller and use a software synth. Personally I’d recommend something like u-He Diva. That way you have the great keyboard of the NG and you can simply map any knob as the cutoff filter. Imo, Diva sounds as good as most hardware synths. I have used the NP4 to control my Korg Minilogue XD a few times through Ableton with really nice results. Albeit the XD is only a 4 voice poly synth.

Of course Korg Minilogue XD is only a 4 voice poly synth but sometimes you dont need more voices to create beautiful sounds.

Korg Minilogue XD + Digitech Studio S100
More information - https://progressiveaxleradio.com/korg-minilogue-xd

YOUTUBE>> https://youtu.be/zi0PCnSa_9E <<
INSTAGRAM>> http://instagr.am/p/CfBeJbLg-I9 <<
Last edited by GEran21 on 23 Jun 2022, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Synthesizers, Effect Processors, VSTi & VST >> https://progressiveaxleradio.com <<
GEran21

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum