Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: High Trigger and MIDI

Postby LGuapo » 05 May 2022, 18:46

anotherscott wrote: It would be feasible, but perhaps not so desirable, since a less savvy user may find themselves in a situation where their piano is missing velocity sensitivity, and not understanding why.

This seems less problematic than a user missing entire note messages and not understanding why. But hey, maybe I’m biased, since I was that user!
LGuapo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby Elias » 06 May 2022, 17:33

I understand the problem, and see that it can be significant in this very specific use case.

Feel free to add this to the Wish List. Whether or not Nord will do anything about it is unlikely.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LGuapo » 06 May 2022, 18:16

Elias wrote:I understand the problem, and see that it can be significant in this very specific use case.

Feel free to add this to the Wish List. Whether or not Nord will do anything about it is unlikely.

Done.

I've been doing some reading, and it seems this used to work on older models (e.g. NE3 and NE4). I think Electro 5 was the first model where this problem appeared. Probably the same model where multi-timbre appeared. If someone can confirm this, I would appreciate it.
LGuapo

Postby FZiegler » 06 May 2022, 18:55

That's exactly what anotherscott wrote in his first response to your thread.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby LGuapo » 06 May 2022, 19:12

I interpreted anotherscott's post to mean that he/she/they suspected but was not sure. I was hoping for a concrete confirmation from people who own these models and have specifically used high trigger with MIDI out.
LGuapo

Postby Elias » 06 May 2022, 22:36

LGuapo wrote:...I was hoping for a concrete confirmation from people who own these models and have specifically used high trigger with MIDI out.

- No hostility intended -
How is this relevant to you? Are you thinking about buying an alder Electro purely for this reason?
Last edited by Elias on 06 May 2022, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby LGuapo » 10 May 2022, 01:12

Elias wrote:- No hostility intended -
How is this relevant to you? Are you thinking about buying an alder Electro purely for this reason?

Possibly. Other options are buying a Hammond xk-1c or modding the NE6D.
LGuapo

Postby vcfvca » 21 Jun 2022, 19:06

LGuapo wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just bought an Electro 6D and am very surprised and disappointed to discover that high trigger does not send MIDI! So when recording an organ part in a sequencer, notes are missing in the recorded MIDI. Is there some option I'm missing or some work-around? This seems like a BIG issue for using this keyboard in a studio.

I posted about this issue last year:
nord-electro-forum-f9/high-trigger-not-transmitted-over-midi-ne5-6-t19666.html#p131643

I never found a work around. As you say very disappointing and you have to go back to the Electro 4 to transmit high trigger (fixed velocity mode). The problem for Nord is that it's a multi timbral issue and as the E4 was mono timbral it was easy to implement. Adding this feature on the Electro 5/6 starts to move the OS closer to the Stage. The Electro 6 is a step back in other ways too. But being able to play 3 parts at once, seamless switching etc. are better for some people than high trigger over midi or the better Midi implementation of the E5.

I think Nord will release a Stage Electro next and call it the SE1. So the Electro 6 could be the last iteration. The Stage Electro will basically be half an NS3 - 3 slots instead of 6.

*** You heard it here first ***
vcfvca

Postby anotherscott » 21 Jun 2022, 20:42

If you are recording MIDI for your organ part, yeah, you have to use low trigger to be sure you won't have dropped notes. If your playing technique really takes advantage of the high trigger, then another option is to record audio into your DAW instead of MIDI. Then you'll get just what you're playing with high trigger, but you have to play the right notes with the right sound because you can't edit the MIDI later. ;-)
anotherscott

Postby vcfvca » 22 Jun 2022, 14:51

anotherscott wrote:If you are recording MIDI for your organ part, yeah, you have to use low trigger to be sure you won't have dropped notes. If your playing technique really takes advantage of the high trigger, then another option is to record audio into your DAW instead of MIDI. Then you'll get just what you're playing with high trigger, but you have to play the right notes with the right sound because you can't edit the MIDI later. ;-)

That true - the only way to capture the nuances like slaps and palm smears is to record the audio. But having the MIDI as well does give you the option of replacing the sound with a plugin like B-3X. It's not a big issue for me and old school recording should capture the feel.
vcfvca

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum