This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: It's that time again - what are your top 3 acoustic samp

Postby Swampfox » 17 Jun 2022, 17:23

Frantz wrote:Btw , who knows which manufacturer and model is the white grand sampled from ?

I've believe it's sampled from a Steinway Model B, although to my ear it's a bit brighter than the average Model B. Yet, Steinway's can, and typically are, voiced to the liking of the owner.
Swampfox
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby afroskully » 22 Jun 2022, 14:10

I loaded up the bright piano...XL. but I did it after trying to control my NE5 with my daughter's casio privia weighted piano as i'm seeing if i want to buy a controller for gigs. And now I love the bright piano. Can't tell if its the patch itself or playing it on a weighted controller, but yeah... I get now why everyone loves this sample.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby kirsty » 09 Jul 2022, 02:05

The big Bosie Imperial is still my main AP. Its just got to much power in the bass its addictive and still my favourite. Still the 'L' model rather than 'XL' as for some reason it sounds stronger to play. When I load XL it feels softer and loses some of the nuances that make me like it in the first place. Odd I know!

The Royal 3D (Yamaha S6) I use sometimes as its the closest to my ears to the sound of my acoustic C6 grand in the living room.

White Grand has grown on me now I have learnt to EQ it nicely and its shoved out the nose of the Studio Grand 2 which would have been my usual 3rd contender.

:)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507

The author kirsty was thanked by 2 members, including:
GamboldericL
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Guynextdoor » 11 Jul 2022, 15:37

I use a White / Royal 3D split as my go to (white on the bass end). Both are XLs

The author Guynextdoor was thanked by:
Gambold
Guynextdoor

Postby agcohn » 12 Jul 2022, 00:45

Hlaalu wrote:
kirsty wrote:White Grand has grown on me now I have learnt to EQ it nicely and its shoved out the nose of the Studio Grand 2 which would have been my usual 3rd contender.

kirsty which EQ adjustment do you make to the White?

I haven't been able to like it that much so far. It has some sort of woody "clunk" and a metallic tail to it that I haven't learned to like. My favourite remains the Imperial Grand, followed by the Royal 3D, which to me is also the most versatile.

For the White Grand, I personally would suggest trying the Soft EQ setting combined with KBD Touch 2 or 3 and a small amount of Compression and then using the regular EQ settings to boost the treble to your liking.
agcohn

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby kirsty » 13 Jul 2022, 01:04

Hlaalu wrote:
kirsty wrote:White Grand has grown on me now I have learnt to EQ it nicely and its shoved out the nose of the Studio Grand 2 which would have been my usual 3rd contender.

kirsty which EQ adjustment do you make to the White?

I haven't been able to like it that much so far. It has some sort of woody "clunk" and a metallic tail to it that I haven't learned to like. My favourite remains the Imperial Grand, followed by the Royal 3D, which to me is also the most versatile.

I have a couple of White programs saved as I have found it to react quite differently to different PA setups. (I know this can be said for all the sounds but White is quite sensitive to it IMO)

At home i'm using a pair of Bose S1 Pro's and they are very 'boomy' so I have a -6 bass cut, flat mids and a 4.0 boost to treble with a touch of compression. KBD setting 2 mid.
At my cousins we are using a Stagepas 600i to jam away and I find it needs a -4 bass cut +7.5 boost to treble and +2.3 mids to sounds similar.
We played a club through a huge PA, and I didn't like either setting in the sound check so ended up going back to the Bosendorfer which I tend to prefer anyway. Its a steady faithful and always sounds good, stereo or mono and through most PA's
You will have to tweak White to your own PA but i'd try cutting the bass and adding some treble, the sample got more pleasant to my ears when I leaned in this direction.

Interested to hear if anyone else has tweaked White to sound great at a certain EQ setting :)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Postby Rusty Mike » 13 Jul 2022, 01:33

I’ve been messing with the Imperial in my home studio the past few days. I initially dismissed it as I think the top end sounds to “tinkly” compared to the Lady D, which was my go-to at the time. It gets very bright with just a little velocity, and I favor a warmer, darker sound, so it fell off the list pretty quickly. I’m using studio monitors and controlling the E6D from my Roland RD800.

What I’ve found is that the piano is incredibly expressive, and that the upper keys sound tinkly because I’m playing them too hard! You really need to treat this piano with some sensitivity to find its voice. The sample dynamics are seriously deep, and it’s telling me a lot about my playing style.

Doubt it will find it’s way into the Stage, as I wouldn’t be able to control it for live use. But it’s pretty amazing as a way to help tame my ham-fisted playing.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by 2 members, including:
PScooter63afroskully
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Tasten-Bert » 13 Jul 2022, 13:53

PA always makes differences, so I hope that after long periods of trying and optimizing I found quite a good set. My electro is a 61D with 5 octaves only.

My main sound is the White XL with these settings:
Long Release On
String Resonance On
Kbd Touch O, no LED
EQ
Bass + 8.1
Mid Freq 3,4 kHz, + 2.6
Treble + 8.1
no effects
Reverb Stage Soft, 2.0
Gain 10.0

I play almost all songs with it. For „Someone like you“ I shift the octaves by minus 1.

Songs like „Don‘t stop believing“ or „Schickeria“ I also play with the White XL, but set differently:
Long Rel. On
String Res. Off
Kbd Touch 2
EQ
Bass + 4.0
Mid Freq 7.5 kHz, + 7.1
Treble + 11.2

Eff 2 Chorus 1, Deep, 0.7Hz
Delay 1, 2.8
Rev Stage Soft, 5.0
Gain 10.0

There are PAs that sound better without the Chorus or setting the piano to Mono, I notice that during soundcheck.

And I have a Bosie XL onboard because I like the two lower octaves.
Long Rel. On
String Res. On
Kbd Touch 0
EQ
Bass + 6.7
Mid Freq 3,4 kHz, + 2.6
Treble + 8.1

Rev Stage Soft, 2.4
Gain 10.0

Cheers and have fun
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
verbalakrobat
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Gambold » 14 Jul 2022, 15:21

RESULTS:

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this extremely informal "poll" of acoustic sample preferences. I know we do these all the time on this forum, but offerings, tastes, and participants change so frequently that it's always useful to see the current zeitgeist! Plus - some of us don't strictly "trust our own ears" and it can be very helpful to hear the opinions of others on the merits or demerits of certain samples.

The method was not very scientific - I assigned points based on how a user ordered their preferences. 3 points for the first piano, 2 for the second, and 1 for the third. If there was less than three pianos listed in a post, the first got 3 points, the second (if present) 2 points. A few posters were a little vaguer in their rankings but I went with what seemed to be the piano(s) they preferred, based on their comments.

White - 29 points
Royal - 15 points
Imperial - 10 points
Bright and Silver - 7 points each
Bambino - 5 points
Amber - 4 points
Italian - 2 points

Thoughts:

--White is the king by far. It's the newest sample, three years younger than the next one. Is it newness or quality that make it king - or both?
--Royal holds second place - after holding first for a long time. Yamaha samples dominate the digital keyboard world and this one is Nord's best
--Imperial was the big surprise. This piano has made a comeback! It's one of the "classic" Nord samples that appeared in 2011.
--Bright and Silver are now running neck-and-neck for dominance in the "I need a sample that cuts through the band mix" category.
--The Bambino edged out the Amber for favorite upright - likely because of its very distinctive sound.
--Ah, the Italian - once upon a time it was considered one of the best. This one fell out of favor quickly.
--No Grand Lady D! This one was on everyone's fave list for a long time - age has finally taken its toll.
--The elephant in the room - no love for the Velvet. A newer sample that wasn't a hit even when it was first released.

Thanks again everyone!!
--Gambold
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth

The author Gambold was thanked by 5 members, including:
PScooter63kirstyAllanHafroskullyverbalakrobat
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby SteveNordP3 » 15 Jul 2022, 01:19

Gambold wrote:RESULTS:

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this extremely informal "poll" of acoustic sample preferences. I know we do these all the time on this forum, but offerings, tastes, and participants change so frequently that it's always useful to see the current zeitgeist! Plus - some of us don't strictly "trust our own ears" and it can be very helpful to hear the opinions of others on the merits or demerits of certain samples.

The method was not very scientific - I assigned points based on how a user ordered their preferences. 3 points for the first piano, 2 for the second, and 1 for the third. If there was less than three pianos listed in a post, the first got 3 points, the second (if present) 2 points. A few posters were a little vaguer in their rankings but I went with what seemed to be the piano(s) they preferred, based on their comments.

White - 29 points
Royal - 15 points
Imperial - 10 points
Bright and Silver - 7 points each
Bambino - 5 points
Amber - 4 points
Italian - 2 points

Thoughts:

--White is the king by far. It's the newest sample, three years younger than the next one. Is it newness or quality that make it king - or both?
--Royal holds second place - after holding first for a long time. Yamaha samples dominate the digital keyboard world and this one is Nord's best
--Imperial was the big surprise. This piano has made a comeback! It's one of the "classic" Nord samples that appeared in 2011.
--Bright and Silver are now running neck-and-neck for dominance in the "I need a sample that cuts through the band mix" category.
--The Bambino edged out the Amber for favorite upright - likely because of its very distinctive sound.
--Ah, the Italian - once upon a time it was considered one of the best. This one fell out of favor quickly.
--No Grand Lady D! This one was on everyone's fave list for a long time - age has finally taken its toll.
--The elephant in the room - no love for the Velvet. A newer sample that wasn't a hit even when it was first released.

Thanks again everyone!!
--Gambold

Interesting summary.

White is my top choice in almost all situations.

Lady D is my #2, I use it a ton more than Imperial and the Studio C7, those both of those share my #3 spot.

Amber is still my favorite upright. And yes - Silver cuts through like a knife…

Where Amber and White are relatively new, I suppose it’s possible newer sounds are more shiny pennies in our ears, but I suspect it’s because Nord gets better at their sampling process over time - perhaps some of both.

I would LOVE a new Lady D XL and Yamaha C7 XL that have the feel and depth of the White (Steinway B). But honestly, they’re all pretty damn good.

Except for Royal.

How that rates on anyone’s list is a mystery to me. I realize everything is subjective and a matter of personal taste. I WANT to love it. But I hate it! I’ve never found a setting (other than headphones) that makes sense to me or feels remotely useable! Even in phones, it’s never grabbed me like the others.

I’ll also add that over the years, I thought I was getting a good mono sound from my Nord with my Bose L1 system (when traveling with just one of the two I use for a stereo setup). But I’m finding the Ravenscroft 275 on my iPhone provides a superior mono performance over any of my Nords in that unique situation. Otherwise, White, Lady D, Imperial and Studio are an absolute delight through a pair of Bose L1s in stereo!

The author SteveNordP3 was thanked by:
Gambold
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum