Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

External Midi controls for Upper/Lower Drawbars on Electros

Postby tommyhensonmusic » 17 Jun 2022, 19:19

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this...

In the Electro 4 (&2 & 3) product manuals there are separate Midi controller numbers for the organ drawbars for lower manual(70-78) and upper manual (16-24) (p.22 on the E4 here): https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... 4UPxDlFBg0

In the Electro 5 & 6 product manuals there are only Midi controller numbers for universal drawbar settings (#16-24) (p.21 for the E5 here): https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... 5VEpoTUJEs

Did Clavia remove these additional midi connection points? Crazy! Are they "hidden" on the 5 & 6? Is there another way to independently control only lower (or upper) drawbars with an external controller on the Electro 5 or 6? Looking to add like a MAudio controller with faders and it'd be perfect to control the drawbar settings for each manual independently.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
:keyboard: :keyboard:
tommyhensonmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

External Midi controls for Upper/Lower Drawbars on Electros

Sponsor

Re: External Midi controls for Upper/Lower Drawbars on Elect

Postby FZiegler » 17 Jun 2022, 22:56

I have no idea how this is implemented as I never had a hand on an Electro 5. But the way I read the manual part about receiving MIDI on part upper, it tells to set the MIDI channel for Upper Split to channel of the sending controller (MAudio) and send the drawbars on that channel. I have no idea if it's possible to send drawbar settings on part lower, too - if so, it would be on the corresponding (different) channel.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Rusty Mike » 18 Jun 2022, 03:08

I’m not in front of my E6 right now, but I’m pretty sure the controller numbers are the same, but operate on separate channels when you active the “EXTERNAL KBD TO LOW” setting. That way the drawbars on the Electro operate the upper drawbars and the drawbars on your external controller operate the lower manual.

The Electro manual explains this quite well.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby vcfvca » 18 Jun 2022, 14:43

Yes I'm afraid the E6 uses same controller numbers for both sets of drawbars CCs 12-20. Don't know what Nord were thinking. They could have at least used separate MIDI channels for Upper & Lower drawbars. I use a Crumar D9 drawbar controller to control the lower manual in Dual Organ mode and set it to Edit Lower Manual. The Nord drawbars control the Upper Manual. It's not ideal as you have to remember to press Edit Lower Manual!
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to Nord Electro Forum