This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Anyone know what to make of this?

Postby bachsteady » 05 Jun 2022, 07:19

So I came across this site looking for a decent price on a Nord (if that even exists anymore). Can anyone tell me what this means, it looks like bulk sellers, who are selling (if I read it correctly Nord keyboards at an extremely low price...too low actually. Any insights into what it all means? link below:

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/nord-stage-3.html

Thanks

Bachsteady
bachsteady

Anyone know what to make of this?

Sponsor

Re: Anyone know what to make of this?

Postby wtibbit » 05 Jun 2022, 07:29

If it's too good to be true, it ain't true...

If it's far too good to be true, it's truly a scam.
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby Winds » 06 Jun 2022, 00:59

Wow someone needs to fork over some money and see what actual item actually comes when they buy it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll add a story that could be related to this if it were a scam (probably is anyway!) I heard one story where someone bought and was assumed to be a new playstation but it was a cheaper price(I forgot which model), but what actually came was a picture. When the user complained the seller merely stated that there's no problem here as the user had already agreed to buy a NEW picture of the playstation :lol: :lol: :lol:
Winds

Location: that somewhat lesser known country on Borneo Island near to Singapore
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby NordBanger » 06 Jun 2022, 04:25

Common scam technique. See it with motorcycle gear all the time.
NordBanger

Nord Stage 3 88
QSC CP-12 x 2
iMac 24
Logic Pro and EZ Drummer
ADAM Audio T5V Powered Studio Monitors
Sony MDR-7506 Closed-Back Headphones
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Open-back Headphones
Yamaha MG10XU Mixer
Guitars and Amps
NordBanger

Postby Gambold » 06 Jun 2022, 04:28

Isn't Alibaba the "Chinese Amazon?" I know their stock (BABA) is one of those meme stocks that get discussed constantly on the trading boards. If it is a Chinese distributor, it's probably reasonable to assume that if these offers are valid (as in, you would receive a product upon sending your money), they are likely counterfeit Nords. I don't think it's prejudicial to note that Chinese companies are infamous for making counterfeits of all sorts of desired products. I have some female friends who love their counterfeit Vuitton purses...

https://daxueconsulting.com/counterfeit ... -in-china/

>In 2015, Alibaba was subject to intense state scrutiny. The State Administration of Industry and Commerce unveiled that only 37% of the luxury goods examined on the Taobao platform were genuine. <

>In 2017, Alibaba was again under consumer and government pressure when Taobao was found to have over 240,000 vendors selling fake goods, up from 180,000 vendors the previous year. <

The pictures are almost certainly of real Nords. What you will actually get in the mail is anyone's guess. Probably a flimsy, plastic synthesizer painted red with a rough approximation of the Nord controls, most of which won't do anything. It's almost worth sending $500 to see. Almost.
Last edited by Gambold on 06 Jun 2022, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby StrangeAeons » 06 Jun 2022, 10:21

A product is worth counterfeiting only if it's successful and appeals to the mass. Nord keyboards lack the latter. Alibaba isn't quite the Chinese Amazon: that would be AliExpress, Alibaba is a platform for professional sellers, hence the need to negotiate and the large minimum order quantities. That said, both AliExpress and Alibaba offer great consumer protection policies (which are obviously weaker for professional sellers) and whilst counterfeit goods are far from uncommon, they're not what defines those marketplaces. And considering how some of those alleged Nord boards ship from Germany, there must be something else going on.

My bet is it's a batch of a mix of stolen, older, repaired of simply broken Nord Stage. No seller would be so stupid to counterfeit stuff they might never be able to sell or that's patently non-conform (what jurists define as "aliud pro alio"). Another possibility is the one Gambold pointed out: different keyboards (just not "fake Nords" in my opinion). Since you aren't paying with PayPal their strategy might be something along the lines of "If the buyer complains, we'll settle it with a partial refund since he did get something according to Chinese consumer laws". This too is a weak argument though, because any chattel shipped from EU comes with our two-year legal warranty.

I too am extremely curious, but I guess none of us here's rich enough to waste money just to find out what kind of scam it actually is!
Last edited by StrangeAeons on 06 Jun 2022, 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

Postby analogika » 06 Jun 2022, 10:53

One thing that tells you this is a scam is that wholesale prices from manufacturers selling off-license “night shift” products from the same production lines only work when a product is actually manufactured in China, which Nord keyboards famously are not.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 06 Jun 2022, 10:55

Anyone can sign up for Alibaba for a simple membership fee. They stick around for a year, scam a couple hundred naïve dolts, and get booted from the platform, only to continue with their twelve other accounts as they sign up three new ones…

https://fba.help/blog/alibaba/7-common- ... on-alibaba
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby tsss27 » 07 Jun 2022, 05:16

Someone really should order it and see what, if anything, arrives. lol...quite sure it won't be a working Nord.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby MarkJames » 07 Jun 2022, 12:00

Winds wrote:Wow someone needs to fork over some money and see what actual item actually comes when they buy it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll add a story that could be related to this if it were a scam (probably is anyway!) I heard one story where someone bought and was assumed to be a new playstation but it was a cheaper price(I forgot which model), but what actually came was a picture. When the user complained the seller merely stated that there's no problem here as the user had already agreed to buy a NEW picture of the playstation :lol: :lol: :lol:

The PlayStation “picture” sales are often designed to fool the bots that troll eBay and other sites. Scalpers buy many consoles and then sell at a ridiculous price.

I saw one listing that said “human buyers - this is a photo, do not buy if you want a real PS5”.

So if anyone was fooled shame on them.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames