This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Stage 3 88 vs Piano 5

Postby Snyper19 » 28 May 2022, 00:13

I wouldn’t mind playing those 80s 90s songs but we’ll see if I pull the plug.
Snyper19

Sponsor

Postby Winds » 02 Jun 2022, 12:55

I think most have said pretty much the same thing but if just based on those 2 choices you quoted, and you're more of a piano player, P5 is the way. (At least you'd save effectively about $2000 (?), the action on P5 is better than the NS3, and you wouldn't need to spend an extra 2k on features you probably won't use since you're more piano oriented.. just my 2 cents)
Last edited by Winds on 02 Jun 2022, 12:59, edited 3 times in total.

The author Winds was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
Winds

Location: that somewhat lesser known country on Borneo Island near to Singapore
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Miguel2202 » 05 Jun 2022, 18:24

So even though im very new to this world i might have a very interesting point here.

So i startad to play in march this year, with a casio ct-s1, and quickly realized it was crazy fun and i needed 88 keys for the classical, so i bought myself a piano 5 which was and still is an amazing instrument however
As a new player i find it really fun to imitate "cool" songs and it's a great way to have fun while learning,and the nord piano 5 is so capable when it comes to creating cool sounds that i realized how much more i could do and now i want a stage 3.

Now the stage 3 is old and the new format that the NP5 have is around the corner, but it doesnt make the stage 3 bad in any way, from what iv'e found, the stage 3 is an amazing tool.
I've been waiting the whole weekend for Nord to say anything about anything at the NAMM show but i've havent found anything so far. So i guess they wont release a stage 4 tomorrow atleast.

Even though the uncertainty i've decided to buy a stage 3 on thusday, the qustion is, do i keep my piano 5 or do i sell it, i know i can utilize the piano 5 via the stage so im uncertain at this point.
The thing is before i bought the NP5 a was choosing between the NS3 and the NP5, I choose the NP5 thinking it would be enough and i wanted the new format, an now i know i made the wrong choice.

It's kind of a bummer but im stoked to get my hands on a stage :D

*Edit* I might add, i thought i was mostly in to classical music and regular piano, until i got my hands on the PN5 and saw the possibilities
Last edited by Miguel2202 on 05 Jun 2022, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

The author Miguel2202 was thanked by:
Snyper19
Miguel2202

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby Snyper19 » 05 Jun 2022, 20:02

Miguel2202 wrote:So even though im very new to this world i might have a very interesting point here.

So i startad to play in march this year, with a casio ct-s1, and quickly realized it was crazy fun and i needed 88 keys for the classical, so i bought myself a piano 5 which was and still is an amazing instrument however
As a new player i find it really fun to imitate "cool" songs and it's a great way to have fun while learning,and the nord piano 5 is so capable when it comes to creating cool sounds that i realized how much more i could do and now i want a stage 3.

Now the stage 3 is old and the new format that the NP5 have is around the corner, but it doesnt make the stage 3 bad in any way, from what iv'e found, the stage 3 is an amazing tool.
I've been waiting the whole weekend for Nord to say anything about anything at the NAMM show but i've havent found anything so far. So i guess they wont release a stage 4 tomorrow atleast.

Even though the uncertainty i've decided to buy a stage 3 on thusday, the qustion is, do i keep my piano 5 or do i sell it, i know i can utilize the piano 5 via the stage so im uncertain at this point.
The thing is before i bought the NP5 a was choosing between the NS3 and the NP5, I choose the NP5 thinking it would be enough and i wanted the new format, an now i know i made the wrong choice.

It's kind of a bummer but im stoked to get my hands on a stage :D

*Edit* I might add, i thought i was mostly in to classical music and regular piano, until i got my hands on the PN5 and saw the possibilities

Thanks for that Tocayo! I guess I’m in the same boat as you and by reading your post I think I will go for NS3 or maybe wIt a while … we’ll see
Snyper19

Postby WannitBBBad » 05 Jun 2022, 20:07

Miguel2202 wrote:...Even though the uncertainty i've decided to buy a stage 3 on thusday, the qustion is, do i keep my piano 5 or do i sell it, i know i can utilize the piano 5 via the stage so im uncertain at this point...

Hello, the answer is "it depends" :) The Stage 3 Compact is a perfect companion to the Piano 5 if you plan on playing out or want to broaden your playing to more organ and synth with a semi-weighted keyboard action. With the Stage 3 you can also make organ/synth samples to play on your Piano 5 for an even better experience with the two. However, if you go that route, downsizing will be a hard decision as getting rid of the Piano 5 will leave you with a semi-weighted Stage 3. I still play out from time to time and get along just fine with my Stage 3 and no other keyboard, so if it was me, I would get a Stage 3 88 and would probably sell the Piano 5 while it's still a new keyboard. The good news is that Nords retain their value quite well, so if you can afford keep both, you have time to figure out if the Stage 3 88 alone will meet your musical needs. Good luck to you.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
ericL
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Miguel2202 » 05 Jun 2022, 21:14

WannitBBBad wrote:
Miguel2202 wrote:...Even though the uncertainty i've decided to buy a stage 3 on thusday, the qustion is, do i keep my piano 5 or do i sell it, i know i can utilize the piano 5 via the stage so im uncertain at this point...

...I would get a Stage 3 88 and would probably sell the Piano 5 while it's still a new keyboard. The good news is that Nords retain their value quite well, so if you can afford keep both, you have time to figure out if the Stage 3 88 alone will meet your musical needs. Good luck to you.

Thanks, I'm buying the stage before I sell the piano even if I'm keeping it or not, but as you say regarding the key amount, I could buy a smaller one, but I'm not quite sure how it will work out in the end, the Compact as you say give me another option while the 88 key give me "security".

As of now im thinking 88 keys, but we will see. :keyboard:
Miguel2202

Postby FZiegler » 05 Jun 2022, 22:51

The issue is probably not so much the number of keys, but the type of keybed. The Stage 3 Compact has an organ optimised, waterfall style keybed, while the Stage 3-HA88 is more into piano style with its weighted keybed.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby M1tsos » 05 Jun 2022, 23:34

Stage 3 isnt optimised for piano… you will start hear the piano sound without expressio. Without feel… the action is not so good like it is at the piano 5..

If you are targeting for piano playing keep the piano 5 or try nord grand..

Stage 3 is better as a synth-organ.. the pianos sound like they dont have many velocity steps .. i dont know if i used the correct english word for what i want to say… i hope you understand me..
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby schroed3r » 14 Sep 2022, 20:28

I had the same choice to make. Ultimately, I chose the Piano 5. I am primarily a pianist and I don't plan on playing out any time soon. I would have loved to grab the stage 3 but I decided that I really don't need an organ and extra synth sounds. The other issue was the extra $1700 I would have to pay to get the stage 3. I sometimes sit and wish that I had bought the stage 3 but that's an awful lot of extra money.
schroed3r

Postby rhafael » 22 Sep 2022, 15:02

MarkJames wrote:If you only want to play piano sounds, or piano layered with samples, the Piano 5 is great.

But if you want synth sounds, organ (with drawbar settings), and modulation options (pitch stick and mod wheel) then I’d go with the Stage.

Its rumored that the new format will come to the Electro 6, Stage 3 and Wave 2 but nothing has been announced.

Exactly. Due to being the latest brand and my need is to use more ppiano and eps and fms and pads, I preferred the Nord Piano 5, and it has served me well, also because it has twice the sample synth memory, which helps a lot. Thanks.
rhafael

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum