All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: (IE) Monitoring in a big band without sound guy

Postby Rusty Mike » 17 Apr 2022, 04:07

Thank you for the kind words.

For what it’s worth, my bass player uses sound reducing ear plugs. He has hearing issues, and is trying to limit further damage.

Your stage setup for performance is typical for a big band. We’ve gone to a “box” setup for rehearsals, where each section sits in a line facing into the center. Saxes and trumpets face each other, and the trombones face the rhythm section. It gives us all a better opportunity to hear and interact with each other. It’s also a great opportunity to remind the musicians to listen to each other and respect the soloists.

It’s very rare that we use mics and a PA for the horns - it’s really just piano, guitar and bass with our normal amps and we try not to play loud. Most venues we play do not require additional amplification. We occasionally play outdoor festivals, but sound is provided. I would think with that many horns, you do not need a PA system.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby M1tsos » 17 Apr 2022, 07:43

Ehm… since i play trumpet also every week in the army band with 15 people i have some experience about dynamics…

Here we are reading our scores notes and we follow it .. no one trying to be louder than others or make a volume race… maybe because its army band and the band leader is very eh.. i dont know the word.. the kind of guy that will kick you out of the band if not follow exacly what says in the scores which means if you get kicked you lose your job.. we are 1 tuba 2 horns 1 trombone 2 clarinets 3 trumpets 2 snares 1 kick 1 cymbals 2 saxs and we also have modified the room with … i dont know the right word again.. this foam sound reducers and bass traps etc

Anyway the in ear monitors solution will solve your hearing your self problem..
Last edited by M1tsos on 17 Apr 2022, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby FZiegler » 23 May 2022, 11:48

So I got my custom molded IEs which sound nice at a halfway reasonable price (750 EUR total cost) - IE molds directly taken at the producer's: Fischer Amps FA4 (slightly boosted bass, sounding nicer than the flat FA3) - hadn't known before that you can get them with custom molds. It was clearly visible that I needed the custom molds because of a 'special' shape of my ear canals.

The mixing is still an issue: I returned a simple own-brand product from my dealer for the clearly audible hissing/noise. Someone had said that hissing wasn't an issue any more even for cheap live gear, but that doesn't seem to be true.

I'll try with a Behringer Flow 8 next. I couldn't find a small analog mixer with comp and pan. And I didn't want a digital mixer without any hardware fader.

My scenario is still to have 2 channels from my keyboards plus 1-2 channels from the rest of the band (either a monitor mix from FoH=our band leader or raw mike signals) - which I want to set into a stereo panorama and compress the other band members a bit (good idea?).

Any other tips?
Last edited by FZiegler on 23 May 2022, 11:56, edited 3 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby M1tsos » 24 May 2022, 08:49

FZiegler wrote:So I got my custom molded IEs which sound nice at a halfway reasonable price (750 EUR total cost) - IE molds directly taken at the producer's: Fischer Amps FA4 (slightly boosted bass, sounding nicer than the flat FA3) - hadn't known before that you can get them with custom molds. It was clearly visible that I needed the custom molds because of a 'special' shape of my ear canals.

The mixing is still an issue: I returned a simple own-brand product from my dealer for the clearly audible hissing/noise. Someone had said that hissing wasn't an issue any more even for cheap live gear, but that doesn't seem to be true.

I'll try with a Behringer Flow 8 next. I couldn't find a small analog mixer with comp and pan. And I didn't want a digital mixer without any hardware fader.

My scenario is still to have 2 channels from my keyboards plus 1-2 channels from the rest of the band (either a monitor mix from FoH=our band leader or raw mike signals) - which I want to set into a stereo panorama and compress the other band members a bit (good idea?).

Any other tips?

Hmm… usually when we have singers on stage with in ear body pack we send it this way..

The in ear bodypacks for examble shure psm. Has 2 inputs left right and 2 knobs on the bodypack. 1 knob is volume and 2nd knob is left right…

So we send everything in mono at the 2 inputs…. Input left we use the whole band in a mix that suits for the singer and input right his/her voice.. so he can mix it alone from the left right knob.. when turning it left the band goes louder and voice lower volume and turning right the voice goes louder and the band lower..

You can do that cheap by buying the behringer p1.. but i dont recommend it because the sound is low quality and not very clean… but it will be almost the same with any kind of mixer… all the cheap mixers from 200 to 600 euros specially the analog ones have cheap headphone amp..
Last edited by M1tsos on 24 May 2022, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

The author M1tsos was thanked by:
FZiegler
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby Elias » 16 Apr 2024, 14:22

TLDR: I see people recommending a FOH + me -type of solution, simply summing together and adjusting levels on a small mixer. Does that not introduce weird frequency reaponses (= bad sound) when the FOH is delayed compared to the split signal from my keys? Or is the effect just ultimately not that bad?

Long version:

I'm looking to overhaul my approach to monitoring on stage, and I think IEM (in-ear monitors) are the correct solution for me, as they are for many. I didn't want to create a new thread because this seems like the correct subject.

I've played in the same band for seven years. We've always handled the tech ourselves. We've played through the same digital mixer, with everything routed to the mixer, and everyone getting a personal auxiliary output channel, (be it mono or stereo, in-ears, or a monitor wedge). We've always had full control over the mix balance. So, straightforward. But now I'm going to move to a new city, and most likely going to join new groups, which means I won't be using the same tech. I can't rely on the same system at all.

The solution that first came to mind, or that so far has felt the most reasonable, is this:
1. Get a copy of the main mix
2. Split my stereo keys, and my vocal mic signal
3. Mix them on a small mixer like Yamaha MG06
4. IEMs

The reason I like this solution is that I know every band is going to have a stereo main mix. I just need to get a copy of that somehow (prob. wont be a problem). And my two keys channels and my one vocal channel, those are all under my control, as I can just split them from the signal I send to front of house.

Simple. But:
If I send my keys and my vocals to front of house, and then route it back to my personal mixer, most likely, especially if the front of house has any digital parts in the signal chain, that signal will be delayed. And so, that inevitably will lead to some phase cancellation issues. Especially if the signals happen to be the same amplitude, I'll literally not hear certain frequency bands. How is this not a huge problem?

PS any other solutions and ideas are appreciated as well
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby cgrafx » Yesterday, 09:20

Using a front of house mix is almost always going to be compromised solution.

The FOH may or may not have every instrument in it as it will be a mix that includes a balance of on-stage amps/live drums and other non-amplified instruments (horns). In the most extreme case it might only have vocals in it and nothing else.

You would be better off getting a monitor feed from the sound system / FOH / Monitor mixing board with the things you actually want to hear in your mix and running that to your IEM system. Alternatively you could do a "more me" setup where you use a keyboard/Voc mixer which drives the FOH and also drives your In-ear mix and you can directly control how loud you are in the mix (Only add the additional channels you need into your mix from the Monitor/FOH mix - don't double add your keyboards/vocals)

Don't worry about the latency from the FOH console it won't matter. Phase issues would only occur if you double send the feed which you don't have to do in either scenario. In the first your personal mix would be coming entirely from the Monitor/FOH console. In the 2nd scenario you would only receive mixer channels other than your voc and keys as those would come directly from your mixer.
Last edited by cgrafx on 17 Apr 2024, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Elias » Today, 09:33

cgrafx wrote:Using a fron... ...in it and nothing else.

Yes. It is a compromised solution, but I'm looking for the most universal setup possible here. I know this would not get me even close to ideal results. But if the main mix does not have any guitar or bass in it, neither will a monitor mix (the bass is not run through the console). But as long as the FOH engineer is doing their job, all instruments and voices should be (A) loud enoigh without FOH reinforcement OR (B) fed to the FOH and thus the main mix, to make them louder. And me being on stage, I can naturally (more or less) hear everything that falls under "A", and the ones that fall under "B" are in the main mix.
(and the "more me" you mentioned later is more precisely what I meant. I never meant I would only be listening to the main mix as is... more on that below)

cgrafx wrote:You would be better off getting a monitor feed from the sound system / FOH / Monitor mixing board with the things you actually want to hear in your mix and running that to your IEM system.

Yes. Absolutely. And I will do this whenever possible. And whatever setup I choose, it will be able to do this as well. But sometimes a monitor feed might not be an option. I might not get my own mix, but still want to be able to hear myself and others on stage.

cgrafx wrote:Alternatively you could do a "more me" setup where you use a keyboard/Voc mixer which drives the FOH and also drives your In-ear mix and you can directly control how loud you are in the mix (Only add the additional channels you need into your mix from the Monitor/FOH mix - don't double add your keyboards/vocals)

Sure. A good option. But still requires a dedicated mix channel for my. One that has everything but my keys and vocals. So it does not solve the problem of not getting a personal AUX mix. Although this has one benefit as opposed to completely relying on an AUX feed: Here if I only get a mono AUX feed I can still hear my keyboard stereo.

cgrafx wrote:Don't worry about the latency from the FOH console it won't matter. Phase issues would only occur if you double send the feed which you don't have to do in either scenario. In the first your personal mix would be coming entirely from the Monitor/FOH console. In the 2nd scenario you would only receive mixer channels other than your voc and keys as those would come directly from your mixer.

All of this is true, but my main issue (maybe wasn't very clear in my first post) is when neither of these is available. When I can't get a personal AUX feed from the console. Granted, I might be overly concerned about an unlikely scenario here, but I want to be equipped for any scenario. If I can.
Elias

Postby cphollis » Today, 13:45

I use two small mixers when playing with bands other than my own.

Mixer One sends keys to FOH and Mixer Two. Mixer Two combines FOH and keys to drive my IEMs. One knob will give you "more me" without affecting performance volumes.

It's clunky, but it works. Strange that no one has made a dedicated product for this role.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Tracii
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Elias » 6 minutes ago

cphollis wrote:I use two small mixers when playing with bands other than my own.

Mixer One sends keys to FOH and Mixer Two. Mixer Two combines FOH and keys to drive my IEMs. One knob will give you "more me" without affecting performance volumes.

It's clunky, but it works. Strange that no one has made a dedicated product for this role.

All right, so you have something very close to what I'm looking at.

What exactly do you mean by the FOH signal? Is it a copy of the main mix or is it a custom mix?
If it is the main mix, are you getting problems with double feeding keys into your monitors? (one copy inside the main mix, and another directly from your splitting mixer)
Elias

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification