General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage Classic (Rev B) LED/sound issues

Postby Hendawg » 16 May 2022, 22:26

Hello everyone,

My beloved Nord Stage is starting to show signs of its age... For a while now, it will light up random lights from the Synth and Effects panels, rendering them unresponsive and unable to switch on or off. This issue is intermittent, and can be fixed by a knock to the body. This suggests it is hardware at fault, most likely a ribbon cable. I'm very keen to fix it myself... does anyone possess a service manual or have had issues like this before?
Hendawg

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Nord Stage Classic (Rev B) LED/sound issues

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage Classic (Rev B) LED/sound issues

Postby maxpiano » 17 May 2022, 07:30

Hi and welcome to NUF, the service manual is not publicly vailable, but you don't need to check if the issue is due to a misplaced or defective ribbon cable (which can be a cause and happened to some people already in the past).

Just open your NS and inspect it for that type of problem (unplug and replug the ribbon cables that connect the motherboard to the panel, on both sides).

If this doesn't solve then it could be a different HW issue like defective cables needing replacement or some HW component failure and the latter would require a specialized service intervention (you can ask UK Nord distributor for the one nearest to your area).
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 May 2022, 07:33, edited 3 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Hendawg
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby hernjov1 » 18 May 2022, 12:55

I would definitely back up all your patches with sound manager just in case before you start rooting around inside of your board.... Other than a ribbon problem you may also have a cold solder joint inside of it too... Obviously wherever you're knocking on your board should be the location of your problem....Good luck!
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Roland AX-7 keyboard guitar. Past keyboards and modules. Roland A-70 Controller, Kurzweil K25OORS Sampler, Roland D-50, Korg NSR5 module, Juno 60, Roland 106, Korg Poly 6, Yamaha DX-7, Hammond B-3 with 122 Leslie...

The author hernjov1 was thanked by:
Hendawg
hernjov1

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Bjosko » 18 May 2022, 23:38

I had this exact periodic problem with my old Classic 88.
Enough that I bought another keyboard as backup.
It was the ribbon cable, I tried to reseat it a couple times to no effort , but what really worked, was a tiny dash of good contact cleaner.
No issues after that, and it worked perfect for a couple years more until I upgraded to a newer model and sold it.
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
Hendawg
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Hendawg » 23 May 2022, 12:37

Thanks all - really helpful. Will open it up this week and investigate!
Hendawg

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Return to Nord Stage Forum