All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: I just tested 29 DI Boxes and...

Postby M1tsos » 15 May 2022, 15:08

I can hear difference in cables.. especially the vovox high end ones.. we even made it with closed eyes and everytime i knew which cable was
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Sponsor

Postby Mr_-G- » 15 May 2022, 17:11

I believe you when you say you hear differences, but to me that is not sufficient as we are all subject to the "placebo effect".
A scientific approach should reveal differences when they exist, without being subjective (i.e. you hear, but I don't type of argument) and (more importantly!) would also help understanding if those effects are above perceptual thresholds. Wouldn't that be informative and desirable?
The video linked above shows a scientific (i.e. non-subjective) approach to find answers to these questions. It also shows towards the end how parties interested in selling 'magic cables' are much against this kind of evidence.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Elias » 15 May 2022, 18:29

DI boxes and cables are really a tool as far as I understand. This means that contrary to a guitar amp, it's much less about how good it sounds, and much more about what it does to the signal. Of course they affect the sound (because they affect the signal), and while that is relevant, it's not what DI boxes are about. This is why a scientific analysis would be more useful universally. Especially to combat unjustified marketing (like @Mr_-G- wrote)
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby Kevinology » 16 May 2022, 06:12

M1tsos wrote:What do you mean by customised at the j48 radial??

It is customized by modifier in Korea. He changed the transformer and some parts!
Kevinology

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby Kevinology » 16 May 2022, 06:20

Guys, take it easy. I won't write down my personal opinion. As I mentioned in the last post, I think It's about taste, not good and bad.
But if you want to persist in your opinion, I want you to do a phase inversion test at DAW and ananlyze the EQ graph. There is an exact difference between each DI.
I just posted this because I wish all of you to find your best DI :)
have a good day, everyone!
Last edited by Kevinology on 16 May 2022, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kevinology

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby Elias » 16 May 2022, 07:22

Elias wrote:a scientific analysis would be more useful universally

To contradict/clarify this earlier statement:
We are ultimately here to make music, right? So whatever helps with that, go for it. Data like these audio files is an awesome resource regardless.

The author Elias was thanked by:
Kevinology
Elias

Postby DavidSydney » 23 May 2022, 03:38

Hi all,
Nice work with all the testing Kevin, but I really think you should review your rather hysterical and absolutely incorrect statement about connecting to an audio interface without a DI.
I've just checked the specs on your interface to confirm there is absolutely no 'impedance mismatch' between the Nord's output and your interface's input.

I'm not sure where this idea has come from. Perhaps from a misinterpretation of the importance of impedance matching in radio frequency and digital connections. These are very different signals from audio and the same rules don't apply.

What you're asserting is just plain wrong. And listening to your 'WODI' recording against one of the DIs, I can't hear anything 'wrong' with the file.

By all means choose a DI that you like the sound and facilities of. But for playing into an interface, or any sort of solo playing, you just don't need one. And really, if one is needed or wanted by audio techs at a show (for their own reasons), they'll usually provide it.

Don't take my word for it. Please go and check some independent technical references discussing audio impedances. Somewhere like Sound on Sound is a good place.

Sorry to sound a negative note, because you've clearly done a lot of work, but there's a misunderstanding that I think should be corrected.

Hope this is helpful.

David

The author DavidSydney was thanked by 2 members, including:
BerretjeElias
DavidSydney

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Elias » 23 May 2022, 11:58

DavidSydney wrote:Nice work with all the testing Kevin...
...Sorry to sound a negative note...

Sounds about right to me as well.

A DI box will also make the signal balanced, which is relevant when distances are long and the outputs on Nords are unbalanced. So probably not relevant in a studio setting. However, the unbal-bal-unbal conversion might change the sound (like anything in a signal chain can).

EDIT: Also thank you for being respectful David.
Last edited by Elias on 23 May 2022, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.

The author Elias was thanked by 2 members, including:
DavidSydneyBerretje
Elias

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification