General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: deodato superstrut, how close can you get the sound

Postby analogika » 12 May 2022, 16:19

mr funky wrote:cheers guys, i should of said, its not for live but for a track im recording.
yea the panning is extreme, as you can hear when you turn a left or right chan off
you can hear it disappear completely coming in and out, there is also some sort of chorus or flanging going on also
and of course a stereo wide thing which is a later process thing, prob at mastering stageits just extreme as its just the piano there.

No flanging, no chorus, no artificial stereo enhancing. Just compressor and probably some EQ in the mix. What you're hearing is just what a good early Rhodes sounds like.

"Stereo enhancement" didn't really exist in 1973, either. There's just the stock stereo tremolo going to two speakers (probably just a Suitcase Rhodes), recorded into two mics, panned hard left and right.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby mr funky » 23 May 2022, 02:40

[quote="
"Stereo enhancement" didn't really exist in 1973, either. There's just the stock stereo tremolo going to two speakers (probably just a Suitcase Rhodes), recorded into two mics, panned hard left and right.[/quote]
"Stereo enhancement" didn't really exist in 1973, either,"

thats a great point, and one i cant believe i missed on, which takes out allot of guess work from the equation.
so,,, from what we have from everyone's input, what is our best guesstimation with whats infront of us on the stage 2 ?
i will try and upload a patch of where i am up to on this going on all i have learned from this thread.
cheers for all your inputs its been very helpful and a good insite into the restraints of tech back in the day,
which as it turns out, is not so much all that, after all !
i think deodato pushed the boundaries of what can be achieved out of a stock Rhodes, he always felt it had so much more to give,
it was all so much deeper than "just that sound"
so... a factory patch i think is well deserved here.
comon nord. what you got on this ?.. lets have it :-)
mr funky

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum