April is about to end, and no new product release.

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
MarkJames
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: April is about to end, and no new product release.

Post by MarkJames »

Rusty Mike wrote:
Spider wrote:It's true that Clavia doesn't communicate much, but it's also true that not many companies do that, as Analogika says. Most of all, companies do their communication after products are released, not before! No company wants to disclose its future plans to competitors. The only one that does is behringer, and only because it's a precise and very aggressive strategy: they know nobody can compete with their prices, so they announce their producs years in advance (when they're just a draft on a designer's table and there's not even a prototype) to discourage the competition to produce anything similar.

Also, companies normally don't communicate on public forums. They may have their own forums, or more often their own social media pages where they have complete control.
Or some employees may participate on public forums on personal basis. But for example, I don't think any Clavia member was ever involved in this forum, and even Pablo always took great care to stress that he was not a Clavia employee, had no more insight than us on future releases, and only represented the North American distributor and customer service. And even in that role, it was not his paid duty to participate on forums and he only did it as an extra-curricular activity out of his passion and commitment.

Any idea that companies SHOULD participate in person to forum and social discussions is just misguided: companies know how impossible to control are those places, and how any discussion may, and will, rapidly spin out of control and damage the brand. This forum is an oasis of peace and well-behaved members, but the reality is that the internet is mostly a toxic place. For a real-world example, just look at any "new product release" thread on Gearspace: in a few pages it invariably degenerates in personal insults, brand bashing, trolling etc.
Well said, Spider.

A lot of Internet forums are very toxic. I personally believe companies are smart to stay out of the chaos. There are a few exceptions. Mike Martin from Casio is a fairly active participant in the Keyboard Corner, but really sticks to answering specific questions and stays away from errant criticisms. Compared to Gearspace, KC is a relatively civil forum, but they do have their own unique issues which have personally driven me away as a member. As Spider said, any announcement or product introduction turns into a circus on Gearspace. The current threads on Oberheim, the Roland Juno X and any Behringer topic are fraught with trolling, insults and little credible content. They are simultaneously amusing and embarrassing.

A sincere shout out to this forum, which has (for the most part) maintained a level of civility and respect among the membership. Pretty much why it's the only forum that I will participate in.

With regard to Clavia, yes, they have not announced anything lately. To give them a little slack here, we live in odd times. Manufacturing and supply chains are a mess, and Clavia is a small company without the volume or buying power of Roland or Yamaha. And we have no idea how Covid has affected their staff or ability to get things done. Given that Clavia is a privately owned company, they don't owe any explanations.

In reality, it is only our expectations, however rooted, that cause our disappointment. This has nothing to do with Clavia.

I'm looking forward to the next round of product introductions as much as the next person. I'm in a position to upgrade my Stage 2EX. I'm extremely interested in seeing if Clavia starts using the new Fatar TP110 action in their HP instruments, as it has been getting some pretty positive reviews. The Stage is actually more than I need (not really a synth player anymore - piano and organ are just fine), so I'd like to see what the next generation Electro brings.

That said, IMHO, Clavia does need to prioritize the Sample Library 4 so Piano 5 owners don't feel so stranded. It would also be nice to see some trickle down on that as well. To me, that should precede any new product announcement.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy playing my Stage 2EX and Electro 6.
I can totally see why there may be delays in releasing new products. We do live in strange times. I also fully realize that Clavia is tiny compared to Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc.

My concern is that a new product like the Wave 2, which has a few documented issues, hasn’t received an OS update in 18 months. Or to your point, an update to the sample library for the NP5.

Are these showstoppers? Of course not. And I hope that Clavia is alive and well, and working on various things. Both the Stage 3 and Grand have received OS updates in the past 6 months so that’s encouraging.

It has to be a tough balance for the Nord line right now. They need to create, ship and sell new products to keep afloat, but loyalty also depends on supporting existing (and current) keyboards.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

I wonder if Clavia is looking for a buyer. The founder is getting pretty old and I don't get the sense that this is a family-run business that is getting handed off to new generations of Nordelius. Seems to me they would be a great acquisition because they have a solid product line with a very high level of credibility and reputation. You see Nords all over the place online and on the telly.

There would be the inevitable concerns that quality control might falter if they were absorbed by a corporation, but on the other hand, the development resources, marketing, and supply-chain power of a big company can really help. Fender saved Gretsch guitars which are now more popular than ever and better-built than they have been for ages - plus some of their models are priced for the lower-tier market, something Nord could really use. I'd love a small, "Reface-like" Nord that I could cart around on airplanes or in my lap in front of the television, something that would be priced under 1K. There is likely no way Clavia has the resources to develop, build and sell something like that now.
Last edited by Gambold on 04 May 2022, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Gambold for the post:
Elias
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
MarkJames

Post by MarkJames »

Gambold wrote:I wonder if Clavia is looking for a buyer. The founder is getting pretty old and I don't get the sense that this is a family-run business that is getting handed off to new generations of Nordelius. Seems to me they would be a great acquisition because they have a solid product line with a very high level of credibility and reputation. You see Nords all over the place online and on the telly.

There would be the inevitable concerns that quality control might falter if they were absorbed by a corporation, but on the other hand, the development resources, marketing, and supply-chain power of a big company can really help. Fender saved Gretsch guitars which are now more popular than ever and better-built than they have been for ages - plus some of their models are priced for the lower-tier market, something Nord could really use. I'd love a small, "Reface-like" Nord that I could cart around on airplanes or in my lap in front of the television, something that would be priced under 1K. There is likely no way Clavia has the resources to develop, build and sell something like that now.
I’ve wondered the same. I compare Nord to a company like DSI/Sequential, who was bought by Focusrite. It has the potential to breathe new life into things.
Last edited by MarkJames on 04 May 2022, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
M1tsos
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Post by M1tsos »

Spider wrote:It's true that Clavia doesn't communicate much, but it's also true that not many companies do that, as Analogika says. Most of all, companies do their communication after products are released, not before! No company wants to disclose its future plans to competitors. The only one that does is behringer, and only because it's a precise and very aggressive strategy: they know nobody can compete with their prices, so they announce their producs years in advance (when they're just a draft on a designer's table and there's not even a prototype) to discourage the competition to produce anything similar.

Also, companies normally don't communicate on public forums. They may have their own forums, or more often their own social media pages where they have complete control.
Or some employees may participate on public forums on personal basis. But for example, I don't think any Clavia member was ever involved in this forum, and even Pablo always took great care to stress that he was not a Clavia employee, had no more insight than us on future releases, and only represented the North American distributor and customer service. And even in that role, it was not his paid duty to participate on forums and he only did it as an extra-curricular activity out of his passion and commitment.

Any idea that companies SHOULD participate in person to forum and social discussions is just misguided: companies know how impossible to control are those places, and how any discussion may, and will, rapidly spin out of control and damage the brand. This forum is an oasis of peace and well-behaved members, but the reality is that the internet is mostly a toxic place. For a real-world example, just look at any "new product release" thread on Gearspace: in a few pages it invariably degenerates in personal insults, brand bashing, trolling etc.

I agree that this forum is awesome and very well behaving people here..

I also have notice that people who own nord instruments average not amateur and not trolling etc… they are serious people who care a lot for their music result and their performances.. compared to korg there is a big amount of people who buy korg pa4x and korg pa3x and the whole pa line buyers.. many of them over of the 80% of the pax buyers are amateurs which think that they really play music by pressing start on the arranger and holding a chord with the left hand….

Clavias and nordelius target group is serious musicians not anyone who is a wannabe musician.. like korg.

Korg wants everyone as a customer… korg target group is everyone , the serius musicians will buy kronos 2 or nautilious and the amateurs will buy korg pa600 etc..
Last edited by M1tsos on 04 May 2022, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

Off the top of my head on various forums there is company input from these keyboard manufacturers: Sequential, Yamaha, Arturia, Casio, GSI and yes, Behringer. Some are more active than others and I am quite sure I have forgotten some. Numerous effect pedal manufacturers also frequent forums, as did Aspen Pittman (creator of the Space Station amp) before his passing.
Companies are not obligated to participate in discussions with their users on forums or any other means, but I do believe that the number of buyers who expect this is only growing, at least partially because more companies are doing just that.
Gambold

Post by Gambold »

>Companies are not obligated to participate in discussions with their users on forums or any other means,<

Correct. The issue raised here is not one of obligation, it's one of expectation. Clavia has been rightly defended on this thread (and others) for not having an obligation to digitally interact with its customers. There is not much of a defense, however, for not doing so out of good business practice and to acknowledge evolving expectations of the market. It's a tight industry and profit margins can vanish overnight. Now is not the time for hide-bound traditions.

Also - and I've beaten this drum before - the departure of Pablo Mastodon was not addressed by Clavia. While he was "unofficial," he was nonetheless a conduit into what was likely going on with Clavia and certainly his voice was listened to by the company. They featured him on their website where he was promoted as a front-line resource for support and information. His successor, if there really is one, has never appeared here nor is he mentioned on their website.
Last edited by Gambold on 12 May 2022, 00:34, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by Rusty Mike »

Pablo was employed by American Music and Sound, the American distributor of Clavia, Kurzweil and other manufacturer’s products. Whatever his departure conditions from AM&S were, Clavia had limited accountability in the matter. It’s also not their responsibility to determine how AM&S backfills the position, or even whether they choose to. I’m also pretty sure Pablo’s participation in this forum was of his own independent doing, and most likely not directed by AM&S.

I agree that Pablo was an invaluable resource; I had several direct conversations with him myself and he could get things done. He personally bought and maintained an arsenal of Nord products so he could provide quality first-hand support.

But be aware the he wrote himself several times on this forum that he had no insight into Clavia’s pipeline, plans or future products. If you want to point out the hole left here with Pablo’s departure, I suggest you contact AM&S directly. They have their own website:

https://americanmusicandsound.com/
These users thanked the author Rusty Mike for the post:
ericL
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Gambold

Post by Gambold »

I fully understand the official line about Pablo and where his bread was buttered.

However, unofficially he was not "just" an employee of AMS. Clavia promoted him on their Facebook page, their website, and YouTube as their national tech support resource and promoter. Not as an AMS help line.

As you can see from the attached screengrab on Facebook, they say "meet OUR US tech support." They don't say "meet our AMS rep."

The web page quotes Nord's then national sales manager as saying:

"We love our Pablo and feel privileged to have him as a part of our team”

https://web.archive.org/web/20150526071 ... ch-support

At NAMM he is introduced as "Pablo from Nord" and he doesn't correct that titling, nor does he plug or mention AMS at all. And he talks at length about what goes on at the company. And his NAMM tag says Nord, not AMS:

Sure looks and sounds like a Nord rep to me :)

It was a case, I think, of Clavia having their cake and eating it too. They should have put him their payroll and that would have been that. But in any event, they didn't replace him, or at least they aren't promoting anyone as US tech support, nor is that person or any other "affiliated" with Nord on this site providing any support, wisdom, or prognostication. It's a falling off, and it's not serving the company well. Or its customers.
Attachments
Not working for Nord.jpg
Not working for Nord.jpg (105 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by Rusty Mike »

I really don’t like these kinds of conversations, so I’m going to bow out. You obviously have your perspective.

In leaving, I will reiterate something, which you actually backed up a few posts ago. It’s our expectations we set that lead to our disappointments. I’m not about to tell anyone what to do, but I’m content with where I set my bar.

When Clavia has news, I will make my decisions accordingly. Until then, I will happily make music with what I have.
These users thanked the author Rusty Mike for the post (total 5):
ajstan, verbalakrobat, analogika, ryanhardo, Schorsch
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Post by DJKeys »

Quoting Mark James:

"My concern is that a new product like the Wave 2, which has a few documented issues, hasn’t received an OS update in 18 months. Or to your point, an update to the sample library for the NP5."

Exactly. Updates and software development should continue even if there are no new releases.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre