General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Rotor Pedal control

Postby bluetrain » 10 May 2022, 05:21

I am new to the Nord Stage 3 - only a month now. I'm having a little trouble with using the pedal to control the rotors on the nord when plugged into the rotor pedal jack. It used to work and I could just toggle the rotor action with the pedal but now it has stopped working. I think I might have tweaked something but I don't know what. I have looked every place I think is relevant in the owners handbook and youtube but I"m not successful in finding how to trouble shoot.

I know this is an old post, but I have experienced the same thing:
It used to work and now it doesn't. It was only about 2 years old when it stopped working. I made no changes to System Settings or the pedals I was using between the time it worked and the time it stopped working. I have gone into System Settings and attempted using all combinations of Rotor Pedal: Type and Func.

I have also tried 4 different pedals. It originally worked with my Boss FS-6 A/B footswitch. After it stopped working, I tried 2 different sustain pedals, including a Nord sustain pedal that came with the unit. I also tried the Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal, knowing that would be a waste of time. All 4 pedals work as expected in their respective jacks (FC-7 in Control Pedal jack, sustain in Sustain, FS-6 in Program Up/Down).

The only System Settings changes I can seem to make that have any effect on rotor functionality are as follows:
Func: Rotor Hold (which doesn't make sense because it SHOULD BE Rotor Toggle)
Type (scenario 1): Open (makes rotor turn on)
Type (scenario 2): Closed (makes rotor turn off)

This System Setting change is of course a waste of time, but just a troubleshooting step that yielded a CHANGE in behavior (though not the desired change). This CHANGE in behavior was without touching the pedal, too. Just changed the system setting alone.

Lastly, I also sent an email to Nord Support (FWIW) and got what seems to be a familiar "NO REPLY" among users.
Last edited by bluetrain on 10 May 2022, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
bluetrain

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Elias » 10 May 2022, 08:47

@bluetrain
What kind of problematic behaviour are you getting? Further information could help find the issue.

And BTW: technical support is often handled through retailers and distributors. Not directly via Nord.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby bluetrain » 10 May 2022, 17:13

What kind of problematic behaviour are you getting? Further information could help find the issue.

There is not much more info to offer. It used to work then suddenly and spontaneously stopped working. Nothing changed with external equipment (pedals). The only things that could have changed internally between working and non-working states were:
1. I upgraded to v2.62 OS.
2. I downloaded a couple of sounds/programs from norduserforum.

But to troubleshoot those two steps:
i. I reverted to the previous OS. No change.
ii. I restored to a backup of my programs that I had made before downloading any sounds from norduserforum. No change.

So it cannot have been either steps 1 or 2 that caused the problem because I presumably reverted all those changes to original state.

Combined with the report from another user that the same behavior had spontaneously happened to them, as well, leads me to believe that this is a widespread (and disappointing) issue with NS3's.

BTW, the buttons on the console still control the rotor on/off like they should. The pedal used to control that behavior and now it doesn't. Must be something internal (hardware or software).
Last edited by bluetrain on 10 May 2022, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
bluetrain

Postby Elias » 10 May 2022, 19:46

bluetrain wrote:[There is not much more info to offer...

What I meant to ask:
Let's say you connected a momentary switch pedal (like FS-6 pedal A in momentary mode) to the Rotor Pedal socket, and change the rotor pedal mode to "toggle". What happens when you tap the pedal?
- 1. nothing
- 2. rotary speed toggle, but it is unreliable
- 3. speed toggles back and forth many times
- 4. speed toggles between slow and fast
- 5. something else
Last edited by Elias on 10 May 2022, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby bluetrain » 11 May 2022, 03:29

Let's say you connected a momentary switch pedal (like FS-6 pedal A in momentary mode) to the Rotor Pedal socket, and change the rotor pedal mode to "toggle". What happens when you tap the pedal?

- 1. nothing

I've even tried switching polarity on the FS-6 (which of course wouldn't make sense since it worked before in the correct polarity, but I tried it anyway). And like I said, not even the simple sustain pedal worked in the Rotor Pedal jack.
bluetrain

Postby Ottomatic » 24 Nov 2022, 03:05

bluetrain wrote:
I am new to the Nord Stage 3 - only a month now. I'm having a little trouble with using the pedal to control the rotors on the nord when plugged into the rotor pedal jack. It used to work and I could just toggle the rotor action with the pedal but now it has stopped working. I think I might have tweaked something but I don't know what. I have looked every place I think is relevant in the owners handbook and youtube but I"m not successful in finding how to trouble shoot.

I know this is an old post, but I have experienced the same thing:
It used to work and now it doesn't. It was only about 2 years old when it stopped working. I made no changes to System Settings or the pedals I was using between the time it worked and the time it stopped working. I have gone into System Settings and attempted using all combinations of Rotor Pedal: Type and Func.

I have also tried 4 different pedals. It originally worked with my Boss FS-6 A/B footswitch. After it stopped working, I tried 2 different sustain pedals, including a Nord sustain pedal that came with the unit. I also tried the Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal, knowing that would be a waste of time. All 4 pedals work as expected in their respective jacks (FC-7 in Control Pedal jack, sustain in Sustain, FS-6 in Program Up/Down).

The only System Settings changes I can seem to make that have any effect on rotor functionality are as follows:
Func: Rotor Hold (which doesn't make sense because it SHOULD BE Rotor Toggle)
Type (scenario 1): Open (makes rotor turn on)
Type (scenario 2): Closed (makes rotor turn off)

This System Setting change is of course a waste of time, but just a troubleshooting step that yielded a CHANGE in behavior (though not the desired change). This CHANGE in behavior was without touching the pedal, too. Just changed the system setting alone.

Lastly, I also sent an email to Nord Support (FWIW) and got what seems to be a familiar "NO REPLY" among users.

The same exact thing happened to my Stage HA76. The rotary pedal was working fine for 2 years and one day it stopped working. It is not the pedal. I've tried multiple pedals and none of them work with the rotary jack. They all work with other jacks and functions. I've tried cleaning out the jack. Nothing. The sustain pedal is not a satisfactory solution because I use the rotary with EP sounds that I also need the sustain for. It seems like Nord really has no service presence in the US, so it is very frustrating, particularly in light of the cost of this unit.

Please let me know if you found a solution to your situation. If so, I need the same solution. Thanks.
Ottomatic

Postby cgrafx » 24 Nov 2022, 03:16

The solution is to get your keyboard repaired
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum