All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

IEM 64 audio

Postby Latebloomer » 05 May 2022, 10:52

Another in ear thread ;)

Does anybody here have some experience with 64 audio?
I´m in the process of getting a new pair of good customs. JH16 was the idea but, unfortunately, this time JH is unable to get them to fit my ears. Have had several refits now without proper results. So I have to go for something else and UE 18 was my initial thought since I know a lot of musician who are really happy with them. But then I did get a good offer on 64 in ears. The at6 model was suggested but I am open to any of the higher end models if they are much better.
But I don't know anybody who uses 64. So if anybody has some experience, good or bad, pleas share.
Latebloomer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

IEM 64 audio

Sponsor

Re: IEM 64 audio

Postby cgrafx » 05 May 2022, 18:15

I have a set of A6's that I am happy with.

Getting the ear mold correct might take more than one attempt. I ended up getting a 2nd ear mold done at the 64 audio booth at NAMM because the one I got by my audiologist wasn't a good fit.

It also takes some getting used to, sort of like a new pair of shoes.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
Latebloomer
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Latebloomer » 05 May 2022, 19:56

cgrafx wrote:I have a set of A6's that I am happy with.

Getting the ear mold correct might take more than one attempt. I ended up getting a 2nd ear mold done at the 64 audio booth at NAMM because the one I got by my audiologist wasn't a good fit.

It also takes some getting used to, sort of like a new pair of shoes.

Glad to hear you are happy with them. I do know about the getting used to part. I have had JH´s before that were great. But I had to get new ones and this time they just could not get them to fit right after two molds and several refits. That's why I am looking into other brands. 64 looks pretty good.
Last edited by Latebloomer on 05 May 2022, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Latebloomer

Postby M1tsos » 05 May 2022, 20:44

I am the man you are looking for :) first of all i am proffesional bouzouki player for almost 20 years now and another 10 as a singer ..after a lot of research and many demo hearing ( and i paid both jh and 64 to send me demos ) i bought 64audio a18s i have them for over 1 year now and i must tell you that its the best thing i ever heard in my life.. i own a sound and rental company and i own top brands speakers ( nexo and l acoustics ) i love very much my nexo ps15s monitor but compared to my 64audio a18s the nexo ps15 is complete garbage.. its so much huge difference and detailed in ears..

As for the ear impression at first i wasnt able to find a good audiologist who can make my ear impression correct.. after searching around 1 month to find a good one that i can trust .. i wasnt sure how much open i must have my mouth while he gets the silicones in my ear.. because i am a singer also and my head and jaw is big so my ears moving a bit more than average people when i full open my mouth while i sing high very high notes.. so i first had 3 fingers in my mouth for 5 minutes untill the silicone freeze.. we send the impressions to 64audio at america ( i live in greece ) they created my in ears and they did it in the time they said less than 4 weeks.. when the in ears came they started feeling awesome in my ears.. the colleagues in my work started thinking i am crazy when i was hearing some awesome productions with awesome sound and mix like peter gabriel’s sledgehammer or chris jones no sactuary here or boz scags thanks to you etc.. i couldnt believe my self on what i hear.. and deep from my heart i wish everypeople in the world could hear this detailed sound result from 64audio a18s to make their ears truly happy…

So after i gone to my first gig during the gig i sing a lot which means my mouth moves a lot so my ears also i know it could be funny for someone who read this. But its truth everyones ears moving when you move your mouth.. so because we sing for around 4 to 6 hours non stop at our gigs in greece.. after the first hour my ear canal became just a bit bigger and specialy my left one and when i had big coronas at the end of some songs when i had some big AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh for 5 or 10 seconds then my in ear started losing seal from the south side of my ear..

Next day i called 64audio to tell them my experience.. they told me to send it back and they will fix it..

Because i was worried very much (3000 usd price in ears lol) if they can do it 100% perfect i send them 4 different videos and show them exacly how this happening and in which place. they answer back that my videos are 100% perfect detailed and they will fix the problem easy and fast..

And that’s exactly happend. When my in ears came back it was 100% perfectttttttt

The only 2 things you must check correct before you buy is the sensitivity and impedance and compare with the devices you are going to use..The a18s is the ones with the lower sensitivity.. 106db/mw ….

To some headphone amps the 64audio are a bit no much sensitive which means they might need a headphone amplifier.. for example my midas m32 must play 100% full volume to hear good and strong and clean. Everything under from 80% of the master headphone volume is not enough ( at least for me ) thats why i use them with rupert neve designs rnhp headphone amplifier which makes it sounding a lot a lot better..

The other thing you must check is the cable.. their stock cable is a bit crappy sounding .. it does the job but they have a premium silver cable also which makes the in ear sound more high end and low end and more detailed than the stock cable.. unfortunately because i bought them with ipx connectors they dont make this cable with ipx connector so i am with the cheap stock cable.. but i tested the silver vs the stock when i had the demo before i decide which one to choose.. my demo in ears that week i was testing was 64audio a18s and a18t jh roxanne and layla
Westone um pro 50 and um pro 30 shure 846 , soundz nova and ultimate ue 9 pro…

And the last pro or con ( depending from which side you look on it ) is that you never get enough volume with it.. they are so much clear and detailed that you always want more volume and no makes your ears tired..

My winner from my demo comparisons was 64audio a18s and second the a18t which i hear it a bit with much treble at the higher range over 8000hz

And the next awesome sounding was jh layla and roxanne..

All my demos was universals so i had to spend a lot of time with them untill i get the same fitment size with others so then i could start my comparison without wronging any product at my personal rating…

Anyway thats all about my experience with the 64audio in ears.. i hope will help you. Anything else you wana ask don’t hesitate :)
Last edited by M1tsos on 05 May 2022, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.

The author M1tsos was thanked by:
Latebloomer
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby Latebloomer » 06 May 2022, 09:22

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you like them so much. a18t is a bit on the pricey side as well as Layla and Roxanne so hopefully I will be satisfied with a6t. If they sound much better I am willing to step up to the a12t. Plan was to go with JH16 which sounds very good and is about the same price range. a12t is 2k dollars so it´s nothing more than fair to expect them to sound good enough I think.

Getting the sealing right when singing is for shure the tricky part. I am not a vocalist but sing a good bit of harmonies, and the trouble with this last set of in ears is that they pop out when I sing. As for the sensitivity there´s not much I can do as I just get handed belt packs from FOH or tour production companies to plug my in ears in to. Usually some kind of Shure wireless pack. I expect a 2k set of in ears from an industry standard brand to function flawlessly in this situation without need for any aditional headphone amp or anything. But thanks for the warning, I will check with my local reseller before ordering.
Latebloomer

Postby M1tsos » 06 May 2022, 11:10

Yes if you plug in wireless pack you wont have any problem at all..

I would try the a12t in your case because its 12 drivers and 4 way crossover its like layla which has also 12 drivers and 4way crossover
M1tsos

Postby Latebloomer » 08 May 2022, 12:31

M1tsos wrote:Yes if you plug in wireless pack you wont have any problem at all..

I would try the a12t in your case because its 12 drivers and 4 way crossover its like layla which has also 12 drivers and 4way crossover

So if comparing to JH; a12t is like Layla and a6t would be more like JH16 maybe?
Latebloomer

Postby M1tsos » 08 May 2022, 19:09

If compare to jh.. the 64 sounds better they have less sensitivity which means need higher amp to move the drivers.. the best thing with 64audio is the apex modules check and read about it and you will understand why that is the best thing…

Also just for info jerry harvey lawsuit 64audio back before some years and 64audio couldnt produce new in ears for some years untill the court ends. And 64audio won the court and took a huge amount from compensation… you can google about it
M1tsos

Return to Accessories and Amplification