All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Using the Radial KeyLargo

Postby FZiegler » 27 Apr 2022, 12:35

I thought that it would be interesting to have the compressor behind the Vent2: To be able to use the Vent drive that sounded good to me, and not flatten the differences of that effect, only adjust the massive volume range for different organ sounds at the end. But of course, this all is theoretical and not checked practically.

I don't think this is an issue as long as I use the internal rotary drive (not morphable) and FX drive (morphable). Which will make life much easier.
Last edited by FZiegler on 27 Apr 2022, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby FZiegler » 27 Apr 2022, 14:38

I'm not done with some aspects of my routing, just new to the idea not to have one audio-out from the Stage 3 for everything. In considering things like that, my imagination sometimes makes them more complicated than they really might be. But adding a second signal chain for the organ sounds definitely adds some complexity: Using a NeoVent already involves an extra spring reverb before. So, I'd wish to have all the rest after the rotary unit in one as some mixing consoles would provide (room reverb for some occasions, compressor, maybe even EQ - all things you don't need yourself if you have a tech guy you trust in or if you shape the sound only inside the Nord). That's not what the Key Largo offers as it's focussed on routing audio and MIDI.

There are many more Key Largo users. I'd be interested in how they use it: Schorsch e.g. uses it together with the NeoVent and IIRC with reverb pre + post NeoVent.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Deadkeys » 22 Jun 2022, 02:36

Hey Guys... late to the conversation but I own a keylargo and use for submixing and monitoring as well as DI...Fits perfect on my Electro5D.
I was told about a year ago that the usb was not compatible with apple products or IPads and only with laptops to use softsynth.
Did something change? I have Ipad 2nd and 3rd generation. IS this an Ipad pro only thing or whas there an update. Would love to use all the
cool sound apps on my Ipad.
Deadkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Schorsch » 22 Jun 2022, 10:53

Hi Deadkeys,

nothing changed unfortuantely - the USB interface of the Key Largo is not class compliant. It would at least require a firmware update to make it compatible, if possible at all depending on the type of USB interface used.

You will find information about compatibility and others in the FAQ section for the Key LArgo on Radial's website: https://www.radialeng.com/product/key-largo/faq

There it's also mentioned that it's not iOS compatible:

Does the Key Largo support iOS devices?
The Key-Largo is not supported by iOS devices. The USB connection on the Key-Largo was designed to be connected to laptop or a computer with a USB port. We do have other products, however, that will work with iOS devices such as the BT-Pro and the SB-5.
Last edited by Schorsch on 22 Jun 2022, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby DavidSydney » 22 Jun 2022, 13:37

Hi all,
I just checked the Radial FAQ page, which currently says "On a Mac, the Key-Largo is plug and play. With a PC, drivers are required…".
But as Schorsch said, it says it doesn't work with iOS. However hunting around the web, there are people who say it works, provided you have a way to supply power to the iPad (via a powered hub or with Apple's USB + power dongle). I'd certainly give it a try Deadkeys!
Cheers,
David
DavidSydney

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Deadkeys » 23 Jun 2022, 04:48

Yep...Thanks...that why I asked... theres a guy in the thread above using an Ipad pro and triggering sounds from the Key Largo he says...
Deadkeys

Postby catosim » 23 Jun 2022, 18:19

Deadkeys wrote:....theres a guy in the thread above using an Ipad pro and triggering sounds from the Key Largo he says...

Thats correct, I use an iPad Pro, and the softsynths are triggering via the KeyLargo.
I have installed a a small background tool called MIDI wrench in order to make the iPad communicate with my Nord when using ForScore.
Maybe it's a lucky side-effect that the iPad Pro also communicates via the KeyLargo.
Anyway, I just connected the iPad to the Keylargo via USB, and to the Yamaha GT2 via DIN MIDI. and then I was set to go :)
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification