This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord Stage 3 or Nord Piano 5 together with Prophet Rev2?

Postby Kaffimusic » 04 Apr 2022, 14:43

Sure, today´s Prophet line synth are capable to receive midi-stuff... But the thread-starter did not sound so much like wanting to dive into midi-programming, and musicians with guitar and pure piano-background usually are not so keen of doing that either. So a "hands-on" instrument like the stage in combination with an all purpose instrument seems a better choice to me. But well, that´s me.
I am just a bit surprised that the synth section is in the "not want to use that"-category. Yeah, the stuff Nord gives you with it is quite poor - but that does not mean the engine basically sounds poor, it´s just the crap programs Nord gives the buyers.
And: Combining the internal synth with the piano is a breeze and can ALWAYS be called up again and is reproduced exactly the way it was programmed. A mix between different instruments always needs more hardware (cables, mixer) and awareness about what´s happening (correctly balanced instruments, everything set up right?). Then you choose a program on your main keyboard and the additional changes it´s program with it. But... you have to ask yourself if you really want that all the time? Sometimes it is better to have two independent instruments.
Before you abandon the value of the NS-internal synth section completely, maybe have a look at the stuff I have programmed on the NS synth.

The synth sounds you hear can ALL be mixed with an internal piano, since they only use the synth section, even without optional samples. It´s all pure synth.
But... before you listen to that, I want to let you know that I am no fanboy of the NordStage. I do like the NS for it´s nice sound and hands on simplicity, but not for the price you have to pay and what you get. And also not for the deepness of the synth, in fact it is kept pretty simple, but this is also the reason why it is fast to program and it has a solid sound. The "synth-standards" can be done with close quality to the REV2, exept there is no on board sequencer. And believe me, NO ONE in the audience will recognize any difference. And... I guess as a beginner you will be more likely able to program synth sounds on the Nord before you understand what´s going on in the REV2. It´s way more complex.

Maybe, as others alredy wrote: Try to become familiar with a Nord Stage, and not only for the piano, for everything it is, and then - on the basis of that knowledge - get a REV2 or anything else. You will know better what you need after some time with an instrument. Then you understand what it can´t do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLkHdxfkF04
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 04 Apr 2022, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Sponsor

Postby ericL » 04 Apr 2022, 16:17

I'll post again that I think the NS3 can do all the things that the OP is seeking to do. Having a separate synth is really not necessary in this case. If somehow the deep capabilities of the NS3 are exceeded, then a synth could be added later. Keep it simple!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by 2 members, including:
WannitBBBadElias
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Elias » 05 Apr 2022, 21:26

ericL wrote:I'll post again that I think the NS3 can do all the things that the OP is seeking to do. Having a separate synth is really not necessary in this case. If somehow the deep capabilities of the NS3 are exceeded, then a synth could be added later. Keep it simple!

Well spoken (written?) Eric. The Stage 3 synth is excellent. And especially for someone not very experienced with synthesizers, it can already get overwhelming without even thinking about the add-on prophet. If padded pianos are what the OP plans to do, I'll agree. Get the Stage 3 and find yourself satisfied with it 5 years from now.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.

The author Elias was thanked by:
ericL
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Nico38 » 11 Apr 2022, 16:52

Why buy a Prophete 5 when you can make a Nord Stage 3 sound like that? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIke5hzKUWk&t=529s

The author Nico38 was thanked by:
DJKeys
Nico38

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby MarkJames » 12 Apr 2022, 23:45

Nico38 wrote:Why buy a Prophete 5 when you can make a Nord Stage 3 sound like that? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIke5hzKUWk&t=529s

Sounds great but there still is something unique about a Prophet.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2