Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

NW2 midi multitimbrality and program changes

Postby Rcmusic » 11 Apr 2022, 18:28

Hello

Should get a NW2 next week.

I want to use it as a multi instrument with its 4 parts on different midi channel. ON my NL4, it's easy, each part has his midi channel and i send program change on each channel since you put a whole program (patch) on each channel.
NW2 works differently as a program is a a combination of up to 4 layers, you can not save individual layer like being a patch on itself. I need to know where should i sent my program change? on the the global channel or on the first layer? If its on the global channel, i need 5 channels (one global for PC, and 4 for each layer).
The big downside of this system is that you need to know in advance what sound to use on each layer since you are not able to "scroll" patch on each layer, layer not being a patch (hope i 'm clear enough), i know you can copy layer but it's not ideal in this case . I wonder why Nord did not go the performance route for program combination, so we could call any program to put in a performance layer and call them by PC.

I wonder if nord could allow in a firmware update that we save layers and that we could call them in a program using a PC message.
Last edited by Rcmusic on 11 Apr 2022, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Rcmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

NW2 midi multitimbrality and program changes

Sponsor

Re: NW2 midi multitimbrality and program changes

Postby DJKeys » 11 Apr 2022, 19:26

Hi,

Please read pages 29 and 30 of the manual which clearly describes using individual layers to send and receive midi. It also describes the complete functionality of program change messages.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Rcmusic » 11 Apr 2022, 19:47

DJKeys wrote:Hi,

Please read pages 29 and 30 of the manual which clearly describes using individual layers to send and receive midi. It also describes the complete functionality of program change messages.

-dj

Hi

Thanx, already did this some days ago. When global is OFF, it does not say, at least i can not see it, if the PC message will reach the program using ,maybe, the midi channel of the first layer.
Rcmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby DJKeys » 11 Apr 2022, 22:00

I read it again myself and came to the conclusion that PC messages can only be sent or received on the global channel. This would be a limitation a multi-layer midi setup for sure, as individual midi channel per layer only works when Global is disabled.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ChrisCopeman » 12 Apr 2022, 21:08

It doesn't seem like a limitation to me. I'd just make several copies of a program and then change one layer at a time and save each patch. Then sending a sequence of program changes will appear to be only changing one layer.
ChrisCopeman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2

Return to Nord Wave Forum