Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Electro 6 amplification

Postby David53 » 04 Feb 2022, 13:18

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I’ll live with my old Roland for a bit and watch out for a set of powered speakers.
David53

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby Gambold » 27 Feb 2022, 16:22

If you're new to powered speakers, you don't need to spring for a set - start with one. Indeed, I'd suggest spending as much $$ as you can on that one, since the more you spend, the better it will be and you'll be able to use it for a lot of different things - monitor, principal amp, add a vocal mike, etc. QSC is pretty much the best unless you get really esoteric and start spending thousands.

A lot of vendors make powered speakers and a lot of those are not suitable for high-end sound production for your Nord. Don't be seduced by so-called sweet deals where you can can get a pair of big Mackies or some such with poles for $500 - they will be great for pumping out music from your iPhone at parties, but will be disappointing when serving your keyboard in a band environment .
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 01 Mar 2022, 02:05

Gambold wrote:A lot of vendors make powered speakers and a lot of those are not suitable for high-end sound production for your Nord. Don't be seduced by so-called sweet deals where you can can get a pair of big Mackies or some such with poles for $500 - they will be great for pumping out music from your iPhone at parties, but will be disappointing when serving your keyboard in a band environment .

Take note from Gambold: Defo avoid Mackies! Take it from me, really - I learnt the hard (ie. expensive) way. :shock:
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 01 Mar 2022, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Postby David53 » 24 Mar 2022, 17:17

Thanks again for all the advice. I decided to go with a pair of Yamaha DBR 10’s. My Roland KC was starting to make noises and I just did not like my NE6 through it. The Yamaha’s are not the best but fit my budget and my aging back. The sound of the NE in stereo is incredible, especially the acoustic and electric pianos. The Leslie sim also sounds so much more alive! These speakers will do me just fine!
David53

Postby Daschvi » 26 May 2022, 18:32

Hey David,
I'm using the Space Station v3 from Aspen Pittman Technologies.
It's a stereo system in just one box, and I really love the sound of it. If I need more bottom end (for bass sounds), I simply connect a Mark Bass Amp to it via the sub out of the unit.
You can also use it as small PA with a mixer, that's nice for hotel lobbies and other small venues.
Hope that helps,
cheers!
Daschvi

Postby Rusty Mike » 26 May 2022, 22:25

David53 wrote:Thanks again for all the advice. I decided to go with a pair of Yamaha DBR 10’s. My Roland KC was starting to make noises and I just did not like my NE6 through it. The Yamaha’s are not the best but fit my budget and my aging back. The sound of the NE in stereo is incredible, especially the acoustic and electric pianos. The Leslie sim also sounds so much more alive! These speakers will do me just fine!

The DBRs may not be the most popular speakers among keyboard players, but they are certainly more than up to the task! I looked at them when they first hit the market, and was very impressed. They have a very nice, rounded sound.

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you get many years of good use from them.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby David53 » 05 Jun 2022, 11:52

Rusty Mike, I recently sat in with another band. They ran me through their PA which consisted of QSC 12’s. I was really not all that impressed. I sounded good but not up to all the hype. IMHO! By the way, where in Jersey are you. I lived in East Brunswick, then moved to Hightstown for 30 years. Now retired in New Hampshire.
David53

Postby Rusty Mike » 05 Jun 2022, 19:45

David53 wrote:Rusty Mike, I recently sat in with another band. They ran me through their PA which consisted of QSC 12’s. I was really not all that impressed. I sounded good but not up to all the hype. IMHO! By the way, where in Jersey are you. I lived in East Brunswick, then moved to Hightstown for 30 years. Now retired in New Hampshire.

I never played through the 12’s, so I don’t have a point of reference. On the very rare occasion where I play through a band PA, I always have my own monitor to control what I hear for myself. This may sound arrogant, but when we run through FOH I don’t really care what it sounds like out there.

To keep it in context, I only play in jazz big band or small jazz combos. This is not nearly as complicated as what you rock fellows have to deal with.

Been in NJ my whole life. I grew up in Perth Amboy, and lived in Elizabeth, Roselle Park, New Providence and now reside in Basking Ridge. Most of my band mates are based either in Hudson or Morris counties. I’m familiar with East Brunswick and Hightstown, but haven’t been to those spots in quite a few years. I used to work at Lou Rose Music Center in Edison in the late 70’s / early 80’s. Still good friends with the former owner (they closed their doors a few years back).

We’ve been through Portsmouth a few times on our way to Maine. NH seems like a nice state.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum