Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

Maximum Voices Problem G1

Postby derMann » 13 Mar 2022, 06:02

I hope someone here can shed some light on a problem I’m having.
My G1 is limiting me to two-note chords. I set the maximum requested voices to any number > 2 but it only ever allocate a maximum of 2 voices. I’m stumped.

I had a G1 many years ago, and I don’t recall having this problem. I just picked this one up a few months ago and only today decided to create some polyphonic patches… to no avail. As far as I can tell, the G1 should be able to play a three note chord.

Test patch:
Keyboard module [gate] > ADSR (gate)
Master Osc 1 [slv] > Slave Osc 2 (mst)
Slave Osc 2 [audio out] > ADSR (audio in)
ADSR [audio out] > 2 outputs Mix Bus (L&R)

Requested voices = 4
Consumed voices = 2
Master Osc KBT = on
ADSR = 0,0,100, 25
Play three note or greater chord = only two notes sound at a time.
derMann

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Maximum Voices Problem G1

Sponsor

Re: Maximum Voices Problem G1 (Solved)

Postby derMann » 13 Mar 2022, 18:06

For anyone that might come along in the future here is the reason why I thought I had a problem and how to maximize polyphonic voices in a single patch (you can extrapolate from this how to manage voices between slots).

It all comes down to how voices are allocated (covered in the NM G1 manual on page 211).
In short:
1) Take note of the Load PVA (the percentage of total DSP resources being consumed).
2) Compare voices available against Load PVA percentage AND take note of requested voices in all patches loaded to slots.

As an experiment to clarify what is happening, rather than me clarifying the somewhat cumbersome explanation in the manual:
1) Load an empty patch (no modules) to each of four slots
— Load PVA should show zero (0).
2) Create a very simple patch (Keyboard Gate > ADSR > Tri Slave Osc > Mix Bus) [you know the routing, of course].
3) Increase requested voices to your hearts content (an expanded G1 will obviously be double).
4) Play a massive polyphonic chord. No problem.
Now to look at voice allocation.
5) Save this test patch
6) Open a copy of this test patch to another slot
— the test patch is now open in two slots.
7) Note that the voices available in both patches has been cut, theoretically, in half. The same division will be observed if you open this patch in each of the four slots. It doesn’t matter if a patch in a slot it being played—it only matters that voices have been requested (i.e. reserved) for when that patch will be played.

Now that it should be clear how voices are allocated—all that is left is to be mindful of the Load PVA that each respective module consumes.
Moral of the story: If you want to make massive polyphonic patches—make sure there are no patches/modules loaded to other slots and that not voices are requested in those empty slots. Then choose modules wisely.
derMann

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Modular Forum