All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Recommendation of monitors & PA ?

Postby LAlefty » 30 Jan 2022, 22:22

I use Dynaudio BM6As, with a Dynaudio BM9S II sub, as my studio nearfields for mixing, and for monitoring when playing VIs from a Studiologic SL88 Grand MIDI keyboard which sits in front of them and my computer monitor. My other keyboards are positioned roughly perpendicular to the nearfields, so I switch to my QSCs (and, previously, my Bag Ends) for monitoring when playing them. So far, I'm digging them for this purpose, as well as for occasional gigs. Thanks all for your advice.
Nord Piano 5, Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 4D, Nord Drum 3p, Steinway B, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 64 tine piano, Roland TD17. VIs by Spectrasonics, Audio Modeling, XLN Audio, Modartt, etc. Sample libraries by Spitfire Audio, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, etc.
LAlefty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Sponsor

Postby Skylight » 31 Jan 2022, 01:28

Yes to all the advice - be sure to get two!

I bought a pair of used Rokit 5s for my studio. They're small; they reproduce the piano sounds well. They're loud enough to take along to a small solo gig (which I don't play yet), but I'll still use the QSCs for whole-band gigs.

QSCs seem to be very affected by the shipping issues right now. You might not be able to find a pair for months!
Skylight

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LAlefty » 31 Jan 2022, 21:29

Skylight wrote:QSCs seem to be very affected by the shipping issues right now. You might not be able to find a pair for months!

I think I got the last 2 K8.2s in the US!
Nord Piano 5, Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 4D, Nord Drum 3p, Steinway B, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 64 tine piano, Roland TD17. VIs by Spectrasonics, Audio Modeling, XLN Audio, Modartt, etc. Sample libraries by Spitfire Audio, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, etc.
LAlefty

Postby lvercaut » 14 Feb 2022, 20:55

Nord33 wrote: I personally think that HK audio or LD audio are much better options than Bose.

So true...after using a whole bunch of nearfieldmonitors, you name them (Yamaha HS7,8,MSP5, Mackie HR8, Genelec 8020and M40,Focal Alpha 65 and 80, Focal shape 65 (nice)...Neumann KH120 and KH80)... my cheap small LD Systems Dave 10 Pa speakersystem( 2x 5,25 inch and 1 10 inch sub) gives me the most natural acoustic pianosounds in my non acoustical threaded room for about 555 euros...
I didn't know the brand but they are German Quality!
lvercaut

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby MarkJames » 14 Feb 2022, 23:07

FZiegler wrote:The QSC CP8 doesn't have fans if I remember right (half the power though).

I learned that the K8.2 should be 2 m away from your ears because of the fan noise. But I sent one of my 2 commanded K8.2s back when I got them because the fan noise was noticeably louder than the other. So you might see if this is the case with you when you get the second.

I’m enjoying my CP12s. And correct, passively cooled.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Postby verbalakrobat » 22 Feb 2022, 10:37

lvercaut wrote:
Nord33 wrote: I personally think that HK audio or LD audio are much better options than Bose.

So true...after using a whole bunch of nearfieldmonitors, you name them (Yamaha HS7,8,MSP5, Mackie HR8, Genelec 8020and M40,Focal Alpha 65 and 80, Focal shape 65 (nice)...Neumann KH120 and KH80)... my cheap small LD Systems Dave 10 Pa speakersystem( 2x 5,25 inch and 1 10 inch sub) gives me the most natural acoustic pianosounds in my non acoustical threaded room for about 555 euros...
I didn't know the brand but they are German Quality!

Hi lvercaut,

there are some user comments on Thomann (for LD Systems Dave 10) site that say, that there is an annoyable humming when playing "soft piano chords in the middle range". Further: "when it fades out, a buzzing is added to the output sound".
Have you ever noticed something similar?

How is the noise of this PA heard in general when the volume is on normal level?
verbalakrobat
Donator

Postby Corea » 08 Jan 2023, 22:34

Hey Guys, are QSC 10.2 / 8.2 still recommended? Still top PA‘s or is there better products out there?
Yamaha C3 ~ Nord Piano 5
Corea

Postby Rusty Mike » 09 Jan 2023, 05:32

They still seem to be the gold standard within that price range.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Corea » 09 Jan 2023, 15:43

Rusty Mike wrote:They still seem to be the gold standard within that price range.

And what about a higher price range?
Yamaha C3 ~ Nord Piano 5
Corea

Postby Rusty Mike » 09 Jan 2023, 17:05

Amplification discussed at length here:

https://www.norduserforum.com/accessories-and-amplification-f8/nord-amplification-faq-t16772.html

I can't speak to higher priced options, but others can. Our good friend cphollis, somewhat of a gear junkie, seems to have experimented in that price area. His TL;DR is effectively higher priced options will give you 5% sound improvement for 25% additional cost compare to the QSCs. Or something like that.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification