RE: Moving And Reassigning Samples

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
monsterjazzlicks
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

RE: Moving And Reassigning Samples

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi folks,

A program can have a sample assigned to it, or not. Let's just assume that EVERY program on my Electro 6 has one sample assigned to it. Now, I decide that I want to tidy up the positionings/groupings of my samples within the NSM 'sample' page (please see attach.). As you can with programs (on the NSM program page) you can easily reposition samples by drag & dropping them - no problem. My issue is though (and this is exactly what is massively holding me back): when I drag a sample to a new (empty) location in the NSM, it easily transfers. Also, I did not realise, it transfers the new 'location' of the sample to the actual Electro itself. For instance, if in A11 I had the program "Soft Strings" and the (respective) sample in the NSM was in position '99', and then I moved it up one notch to '100', the A11 display (on the Nord) would automatically UPDATE. I tried this many times and every time I repositioned a sample in the NSM it was instantly reflected on the Electro's LED. But this is as far as I have got!

It appears to be that certain aspects of the Nord's 'Sample Synth' and 'Effects Sections' default back to zero, or else are not carried over (even though I have NOT changed preset on the Electro). For example, "Soft Strings" has a slow-attack and a long-release. Now, when I enter the NSM, and perform the repositioning of the sample's location, and do not save or change preset on the Electro, the (say) attack-time resorts to 00ms and the release-time also to 00ms. The reverb room/amount also reverted back to 'Room' and '5.0', also (I have not tried every parameter whilst running this process, but I can instantly tell that enough settings have changed enough to deconstruct the sample enough to render it pretty much non-representative of its original form!

The REASON why I'm asking for advice is because I would like to tidy-up the NSM sample page, as all of my samples are erratically scattered. As I do on the 'program' page, and on my Electro, I want to have all of the (say) Strings between 01 and 31, Brass between 32 and 52, Pads between 53 and 71 etc (you know what I mean). In other words, the NSM 'sample' page has all instrument-groups positioned coherently in order. At the moment (unlike the 'program' page), everything is randomly scattered all over the place!

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul David Seaman
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Re: RE: Moving And Reassigning Samples

. . . forgot attach.!
NSM
NSM
NSM_Samples.png (94.91 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

I'm a bit confused? If I move a program's 'sample' to another location, then the NEW location is automatically linked to the sample (I mean, if I move a program's sample from 100 to 101 in the NSM, then the sample remains attached/linked to the program - the sample's position-number just changes straight away from 100 to 101, on the Nord LCD).

If I move (copy) the program and sample to a new location (using the the LED/LCD panel on the Nord) then it works fine (it copies ALL of the parameters) - so no problem!

If I move (copy) the program and sample to a new location (using the the NSM) then it works fine (it copies ALL of the parameters) - so again, no problem!

Therefore, I honestly can not work out why I was experiencing the cancellation of the EFFECTS panel settings last week? Unless, through serendipity, I'm unwittingly doing something different?

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 30 Jan 2022, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

I also need to look at 'folder-structure', and if moving/renaming folders will effect the Nord keyboard's memory etc. I don't really want to do any more programming until I have cleared this final matter up . . .
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

Unless you really mess things up, the Nord OS and Sound Manager will keep things well linked automatically. No need to overthink it. If you accidentally erase something, NSM tracks what samples etc. were part for f the original Program and will alert you to missing bits.
Last edited by ericL on 31 Jan 2022, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
monsterjazzlicks
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
monsterjazzlicks

ericL wrote:Unless you really mess things up, the Nord OS and Sound Manager will keep things well linked automatically. No need to overthink it. If you accidentally erase something, NSM tracks what samples etc. were part for f the original Program and will alert you to missing bits.
Thanks Eric!,

So I can feel free to move any Nord Sample type folders to different areas across my PC

Where abouts do most people save their Nord materials? In 'My Documents'? I was thinking of creating a master-folder folder called 'My Nord Samples' and then simply placing all of my self-creations in there. Obviously there would be a sub-folder for each individual Nord preset.

Paul
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
ericL wrote:Unless you really mess things up, the Nord OS and Sound Manager will keep things well linked automatically. No need to overthink it. If you accidentally erase something, NSM tracks what samples etc. were part for f the original Program and will alert you to missing bits.
Thanks Eric!,

So I can feel free to move any Nord Sample type folders to different areas across my PC

Where abouts do most people save their Nord materials? In 'My Documents'? I was thinking of creating a master-folder folder called 'My Nord Samples' and then simply placing all of my self-creations in there. Obviously there would be a sub-folder for each individual Nord preset.

Paul
It shouldn't matter how you organize your sounds on your PC - all that matters is what is in your Nord and this is governed by the way you use Nord Sound Manager with it. Moving things around on the desktop will only make things easier for you to find them.

Here's what I've been doing for well over a decade with how I'm organizing my sounds on my laptop. I play in several bands and need to differentiate programs for these bands, plus I have two Nord Stage 3 units and rotate them for rehearsals and gigs, which means I need to synchronize their content every few weeks, depending on how many new things I'm doing with them.

I have folders on my desktop such as "Band A - All Programs - Jan 2022" and "Band B - All Programs - Jan 2022" and so forth. I also will do an occasional backup save in a folder I call something like "Eric Sounds Jan 2022" or similar. Sometimes I take a very specific Bundle of sounds and save it, for example a few weekends ago my band did a river retreat where we learned a bunch of new songs and I was programming lots of new things on the fly. For that one, I saved a Bundle into a folder called something like "Band A - River Retreat 2022" so then I would have just the new things I'd done there for easy access to load into my other NS3.

I hope this makes sense!

Eric
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
monsterjazzlicks
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi Eric,

Wow man, you are really a professional guy with your gear and talent!

I really appreciate ALL of you replies and try to respond at my earliest convenience.

I find the NSM to be very good so far. I watched a whole course (ie. My Keys To Music) which really helped. Marc is a great presenter.

I have not got to grips anywhere near as much with the NSE though. This is because I am trying to build up my own sample library as I go along; meaning I am seeking and auditioning different aspects of sampling (like the 'Brass Sounds' I have been researching since Xmas).

I have not performed a BUNDLE as yet, but I have a BACK-UP (1.30GB).

Cheers.
These users thanked the author monsterjazzlicks for the post:
ericL