Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Grand Keybed

Postby GrandChamp » 23 Jan 2022, 12:03

I recently got the Nord Grand, every key on the keybed feels the same weight when pressed, is that the way the Nord grand suppose to feel or is it suppose to get lighter from top to bottom?
GrandChamp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Nord Grand Keybed

Sponsor

Re: Nord Grand Keybed

Postby ziozeus » 24 Jan 2022, 19:57

Unfortunally it is not graded as you say
ziozeus

Postby FZiegler » 24 Jan 2022, 22:57

Nord seem to prefer E-Piano like actions over acoustic grands' actions. So no graded weight on the keys for any Nord - be it Piano 5 or Grand or Stage 3 HA88.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jazzrock » 27 Jan 2022, 17:30

When I tried the Piano 5, I had the impression that the keys of the higher notes felt lighter than those of the lower notes.
Jazzrock

Postby Janatuinen » 27 Jan 2022, 22:55

Nord states in their website that ”The Nord Grand features a premium weighted keybed with…” Why are there comments above that the keybed is not weighted? Have I understood something wrong with the terminology?
Janatuinen

Postby Tasten-Bert » 27 Jan 2022, 23:15

Hi Janatuinen,

there is a difference between weighted and graded weighted. Graded means that the keys of the lower octaves move „heavier“ than those of the high octaves. This is meant to mimic the behaviour of a real piano.

Cheers
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby StefVR » 06 Feb 2022, 02:46

I have an Yamaha C6X Grand Piano, Nord Brand, Nord Piano 5 and honestly this graded and even keybed discussuion is overrated in my opinion. They all dont feel like a real piano ( also not the yanaha avantgrand or kawai mmp11 etc). if you can play a real one you get around on others. All Nord are very good especially with triple action.
Last edited by StefVR on 06 Feb 2022, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
StefVR

Postby kirsty » 07 Feb 2022, 11:29

StefVR wrote:I have an Yamaha C6X Grand Piano, Nord Brand, Nord Piano 5 and honestly this graded and even keybed discussion is overrated in my opinion. They all don't feel like a real piano ( also not the yanaha avantgrand or kawai mmp11 etc). if you can play a real one you get around on others. All Nord are very good especially with triple action.

I have to agree with this

I have an acoustic grand and I find the Nord keybed of the new NP5 that I just bought slightly heavier than the real thing, but it doesn't make it unplayable by any stretch.
My acoustic grand feels more like the HP action in weight strangely enough - I know this action has had a lot of bad comments on here, but personally its always worked well for me (apart from the annoying clicking which develops as the keybed gets more used)

Graded action I was spoiled with in the CP4 I had once, but cannot say I noticed it all that much, that it had to be present on any board going forward.

Also, for all the raving about the Kawai action in the Nord Grand - I tried it for the first time in the music store with high anticipation and came away underwhelmed. I didn't like it at all. So all these actions for me are all still very subjective per ones own preference ;)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby joaofrancisco » 07 Feb 2022, 16:55

The Nord Piano 5 actually feels graded (maybe just in my head), but the lower octaves take a bit more effort to play than the higher ones...
joaofrancisco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby catosim » 07 Feb 2022, 18:34

kirsty wrote:Also, for all the raving about the Kawai action in the Nord Grand - I tried it for the first time in the music store with high anticipation and came away underwhelmed. I didn't like it at all. So all these actions for me are all still very subjective per ones own preference ;)

Totally agreed. Also tried the NG in a store, and was quite disappointed with the touch.
For a long time I wanted The Nord Stage to have heavier key-touch, and spent a lot of energy and wondering about different combinations in order to get a heavier touch AND the keep the great combinations of the engines in The Nord Stage. At a point I realised that there's no problem at all playing expressive and dynamic even though the keyed is on the lighter end of the scale. It's just the same as with all the acoustic pianos and grands, one has to accommodate to each instrument.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum