General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Used 88HA vs. new Compact

Postby webby99 » 23 Jan 2022, 23:15

Dear Nord-Community,

I am new to the Nord-World and will soon upgrade my rig to a Nord Stage 3, which I am already very excited about. :thumbup: I am now thinking about which version would fit most of my needs. It will either be the 88HA or the 73 Compact. Both options would include me buying a midi controller to fulfill the missing kind of keys (i.e. one with semi-weighted waterfall keys for the synths/organ parts if the 88HA makes it or some fully weighted 88 keys to play the piano stuff if I'd go for the Compact). I currently have a good offer for a second-hand Stage 3 88HA on the table, which I could get for around the same price as for a new Compact. I am hoping that someone would like to share his/her experience and help me decide...

a) which of the above mentioned options makes more sense in the long run (i.e. which of the two is preferable to use as a master-keyboard)

b) which midi-controller would be a good fit for each of the two options

Perhaps someone has recently gone through a similar decision process - I'd love to hear your experiences to help me make the right call (which is quite hard tbh, cause both options have their pros and cons) :)

Many thanks and cheers,
Tim
Last edited by webby99 on 24 Jan 2022, 00:28, edited 3 times in total.
webby99

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Used 88HA vs. new Compact

Sponsor

Re: Used 88HA vs. new Compact

Postby anotherscott » 24 Jan 2022, 03:29

I'd prefer to put a weighted controller under a NS3-Compact. Advantages over the reverse would be:

* easier to carry. You can get a lightweight controller, and then neither of your keyboards has to be heavier than about 25 lbs.

* drawbars for the organ.

* most people like to put the piano action on bottom. If the Nord was on bottom, the keys for the board above would have to be farther away from the keys of the bottom board, because of how deep the Nord's control panel is, and a lot of people like to try to keep the keys of the two boards as close as they can. You can get numerous shallow weighted keyboards to put under the Compact.

* high trigger for the organ, from the action that is better to play organ from (not impossible to do the other way, but harder to find).

As for what weighted action controller to get for the pianos, you can either get a soundless controller, or something with sounds in it, which also gives you "backup" in case you run into any issue with the Nord. For some suggestions, see nord-stage-forum-f3/best-lightweight-hammer-action-board-to-go-with-my-ns3c-t19673.html
Last edited by anotherscott on 24 Jan 2022, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby cphollis » 24 Jan 2022, 04:09

Welcome to Nord-land! I would agree with @anotherscott (and many others here) that the best way to go in a 2 board scenario is NS3C on top, weighted controller on bottom. Having the control surface on top (knobs etc.) is what you want. I personally like the NS3C action for both organ and synth work. The NS3 88 is a big, heavy beast with a piano action that may not be to your liking if you are picky about such things.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby M1tsos » 24 Jan 2022, 06:52

webby99 wrote:Dear Nord-Community,

I am new to the Nord-World and will soon upgrade my rig to a Nord Stage 3, which I am already very excited about. :thumbup: I am now thinking about which version would fit most of my needs. It will either be the 88HA or the 73 Compact. Both options would include me buying a midi controller to fulfill the missing kind of keys (i.e. one with semi-weighted waterfall keys for the synths/organ parts if the 88HA makes it or some fully weighted 88 keys to play the piano stuff if I'd go for the Compact). I currently have a good offer for a second-hand Stage 3 88HA on the table, which I could get for around the same price as for a new Compact. I am hoping that someone would like to share his/her experience and help me decide...

a) which of the above mentioned options makes more sense in the long run (i.e. which of the two is preferable to use as a master-keyboard)

b) which midi-controller would be a good fit for each of the two options

Perhaps someone has recently gone through a similar decision process - I'd love to hear your experiences to help me make the right call (which is quite hard tbh, cause both options have their pros and cons) :)

Many thanks and cheers,
Tim

The 88ha is still easy to play keybed and not getting tired of it during the hours..

I wouldnt go to the compact because it is a lot lightweight.. i believe the ha88 is the best flexible for all keybed
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby FZiegler » 24 Jan 2022, 08:56

I would go with anotherscott and cphollis, if we are talking mainly about a 2 keyboard live rig. Great arguments. Ergonomics, too. Easier to get a weighted MIDI controller. ...

You just have to accept to fiddle around with pedals (where to connect) and MIDI limitations. I first connected all pedals to the NS3C but have changed step by step. I now have 2 exp. pedals connected (one for each keyboard) and the sustain on the controller board. Put the Nord Triple Pedal apart. Is an interesting point to think about.

I'd suggest not to decide on that issue because of a few hundred CHF. Decide about your priorities first.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby webby99 » 26 Jan 2022, 22:36

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I finally went with a new NS3 Compact and could not be happier about it. I will get a suitable midi with weighted keys at a later stage.

Cheers,
Tim
webby99

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Stage Forum