Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Steely Dan "Peg" Program and Samples

Postby WannitBBBad » 25 Jan 2022, 01:16

Hi everyone, I hope all of you are doing well. Watching a great video on the making of the album "Aja", I came across a section where some (not all) of Michael McDonald's vocals were isolated for "Peg". Starting with those vocals, I blended in some backing vocals from the free demo of the chorus at Karaoke Version (https://www.karaoke-version.com) to complete the ending phrases. The samples provided in NSMP format:

"Steely Dan - Peg W.nsmp" has the backing vocals on the low E1, F1, and F#1 keys and a modified sax to emulate the Lyricon. The vocals are down in the mix in case you want to use them to supplement your band's vocals.
"SD Peg Lyricon.nsmp" has just the Lyricon without the backing vocals if you would prefer to use that and save some sample space. For both samples, the notes for the Lyricon are set up with an octave shift down at Bb1 so that the higher intro notes on the Clavinet have the correct accompanying Lyricon notes (listen for it on the intro).
"Clavinet S.nsmp" is a very small (198K) Clavinet sample made just for this song (you can try other Clavinet samples as well); it's manually turned off during the verses and chorus.

The program has a Rhodes with Phase Shifter and Clavinet with Flanger (effect amount morphed to the Mod Wheel) that are panned slightly left-right and can be backed off with the Control Pedal to get a good balance with the Lyricon/vocals. To make the attached MP3, I went to Karaoke Version and made a backing track for $2.99 U.S. with the bass, drums, and guitar; I'm really impressed with the quality of what's available at the site. For those of you who transpose your keyboard down a half step, I've attached pitch-corrected samples that will split correctly with the keyboard transposed -1. I hope some of you get some use out of these. Take care.

Steely Dan Peg W.ns3f
(592 Bytes) Downloaded 233 times
Steely Dan - Peg W.nsmp
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
SD Peg Lyricon W.nsmp
(896.75 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Clavinet S.nsmp
(197.26 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

UPDATED Feb. 1, 2022 - Pitch-Corrected to transpose correctly with keyboard down a semitone:
Steely Dan - Peg W -1.nsmp
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
SD Peg Lyricon -1 W.nsmp
(882.99 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

Attachments
Steely Dan - Peg W DEMO.mp3
(3.04 MiB) Downloaded 1097 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 02 Feb 2022, 08:03, edited 11 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 8 members, including:
gsbe_comKeyBardasustainedAvidOneMr_-G-BerretjecookieericL
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Steely Dan "Peg" Program and Samples

Sponsor

Re: Steely Dan "Peg" Program and Samples

Postby ericL » 25 Jan 2022, 02:03

Great samples! I love it! Thanks so much!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 26 Jan 2022, 17:56

Superb! and the video of making of Aja is a "must see".

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby SteveM » 15 Jul 2022, 04:13

I can't get the Steely Dan Peg program to sound correct. I can't find the vocals in the mix and the splits aren't volume balanced. I know how to adjust the volume of both panels and save, but it just doesn't sound right. Also the Clavinet S(1) sample, I can't use the ReLink to use it, I think because it isn't saved as a Clav or Piano or other recognized category. I tried to rename the category but it wouldn't accept it. Can you help? I appreciate the great programs and samples. I know they take a lot of work.
SteveM

Postby WannitBBBad » 15 Jul 2022, 05:01

SteveM wrote:I can't get the Steely Dan Peg program to sound correct. I can't find the vocals in the mix and the splits aren't volume balanced. I know how to adjust the volume of both panels and save, but it just doesn't sound right. Also the Clavinet S(1) sample, I can't use the ReLink to use it, I think because it isn't saved as a Clav or Piano or other recognized category. I tried to rename the category but it wouldn't accept it. Can you help? I appreciate the great programs and samples. I know they take a lot of work.

Sorry you're having trouble with setting this up. Using Nord Sound Manager, you would load "Steely Dan - Peg W.nsmp" and "Clavinet S.nsmp" first, and then load the program "Steely Dan Peg W.ns3f". In that order the program would find the two samples needed for the program and have the backing vocals on the low E1, F1, and F#1 keys. I play the chords to the song with my right hand while I play the intro clavinet/Lyricon with my left. The clavinet sample is only used for the intro and just before the guitar solo, and manually turned off during the verses and chorus. I use a control pedal for some of the levels; if you don't have one you would need to disable the morphs for that. With the samples already loaded, try reloading the program and see if everything sets up as described. Let me know how it turns out - good luck!
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)