Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: RE: Basic MIDI Question

Postby anotherscott » 24 Jan 2022, 23:53

ETA = "edited to add"

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 24 Jan 2022, 23:56

cphollis wrote:I seem to remember the XV 5050 responding to midi for program and performance changes, and it looks like the NE6 can be configured to send them. If there's a XV 5050 program that makes no sound, you might be good. I can't remember if the XV 5050 responded to volume messages.

Hi cphollis,

Yes, the XV5050 responds to program-change (so does the Roland 'JV' series - you may be familiar with). I have never used 'performance-mode' (maybe I should try it one day!).

I did look into 'mapping' my old (sold) Nord Stage Classic to transmit/receive MIDI with my old (sold) JV1080 - and once I got through the LSB/MSB nonsense (Neolithic on here helped me) I worked fine (for the basic requirements I needed).

The XV5050 responds to my Yamaha 'FC7' controller (volume) pedal fine, which is connected to the Nord (controller-pedal IN). I disabled it reception on the Nord itself, but it passes it thru to the XV5050 - no problem.

Creating a 'blank' preset on the XV5050 is another possible (very good) suggestion. :thumbup:

Paul
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 24 Jan 2022, 23:56

anotherscott wrote:ETA = "edited to add"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 24 Jan 2022, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 25 Jan 2022, 00:01

anotherscott wrote:You can get a stereo volume pedal to put on the outputs of the Roland... e.g. Boss FV-30L and FV-500L.

Another way to get silence from the Nord itself is to create an organ program with the drawbars at 000 000 000. Or, I assume, a program with the Level at 0 for whatever section is active.

Hi again anotherscott,

Many thanks for the stereo volume pedal info. I was honestly not even aware of these. I thought only/mainly guitarists (albeit in mono!) use such a pedal.

OFF in the Piano Section seems to be the next value after -84dB. And ditto for the Synth Section (for some reason I was expecting it to be different? :shock: )

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 25 Jan 2022, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Mr_-G- » 25 Jan 2022, 00:02

While cheap, that MIDI kill switch is just a switch on one the wires. Not the ideal to deal with MIDI. An undesired and guaranteed feature will be hanging notes and controllers remaining at weird settings unless every time you care to switch MIDI off when nothing else is going on from the controller side. IMHO it is better to control the audio path. And yes there are plenty of stereo volume pedals.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 25 Jan 2022, 00:39

Mr_-G- wrote:While cheap, that MIDI kill switch is just a switch on one the wires. Not the ideal to deal with MIDI. An undesired and guaranteed feature will be hanging notes and controllers remaining at weird settings unless every time you care to switch MIDI off when nothing else is going on from the controller side. IMHO it is better to control the audio path. And yes there are plenty of stereo volume pedals.

Cheers Mr_-G,

I see your point completely. On the surface level, the MIDI-kill does look like the ultimate solution. I know, from first-hand experience in my youth (when dabbling in live-MIDI) that one has to develop a good MIDI-technique (ie. not holding down your sustain-pedal whilst loading from a disk-drive, holding down notes whilst changing MIDI-channels etc).

And so I am able to fully appreciate your viewpoint on manipulating the audio-path instead. Nothing can go wrong, really - unless your cables are duff!

The responses are quite a surprise because I was expecting advice leaning towards investing in a MIDI-thru box, or similar.

Thanks.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 25 Jan 2022, 00:40

Mr_-G- wrote:While cheap, that MIDI kill switch is just a switch on one the wires.

I actually thought the price was quite expensive! :shock:
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 25 Jan 2022, 00:54

anotherscott wrote:Another way to get silence from the Nord itself is to create an organ program with the drawbars at 000 000 000. Or, I assume, a program with the Level at 0 for whatever section is active.

Hi again anotherscott,

. . . or how'z about simply makin' one of my LIVE BANK locations blank? ;)

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Mr_-G- » 26 Jan 2022, 17:50

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Mr_-G- wrote:While cheap, that MIDI kill switch is just a switch on one the wires.

I actually thought the price was quite expensive! :shock:

For what it is, yes ;) but cheaper than a stereo volume pedal!

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 26 Jan 2022, 21:29

Mr_-G- wrote:For what it is, yes ;) but cheaper than a stereo volume pedal!

Yes, I do see what you mean, thanks.

My worry would be if the 'kill' switch caused any issues such as hanging-on notes. I mean, is it's functionality akin to somebody simply yanking-out the MIDI-cable from of of the ports on a synth/module? - which is, of course, a methodology we are all aware is to be avoided at all times! :shock:
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 26 Jan 2022, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
monsterjazzlicks

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum