General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

How to easily blend two synths?

Postby squarna » 24 Jan 2022, 19:59

Hello everyone.
I'm really considering selling my Mellotron M4000D Mini and getting a Stage 3.
The Mellotron has a simple blend knob that I use a lot. With one knob I can blend e.g. flute and choir.
Is there a way to achieve this with the Stage 3? I guess I can layer two sample-synth panels, but how to easily adjust volumes and blend the two sounds?

Thank you :)
squarna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

How to easily blend two synths?

Sponsor

Re: How to easily blend two synths?

Postby WannitBBBad » 24 Jan 2022, 20:43

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. Blending is extremely easy between all 6 available sources - 2 piano, 2 organ, and 2 synth/sample. From preset values, the levels can be changed manually or dynamically by directing ("morphing") the level to a control pedal, Modulation Wheel, or AfterTouch (for short duration changes). For example, with a control pedal you could turn the synth on Panel A up while turning the synth and organ on Panel B down AND be modifying some other parameters of the sounds that can also be morphed. Nord has an extensive Mellotron library, but if you have some favorite sounds on your Mellotron you can't find on the Nord site, take the time to sample them, they can be used by the Stage 3. If you download the Nord Sample Editor 4, you can see how easy it is to create samples now that you'd be able to use. "My Keys To Music" has a whole set of videos on YouTube on sampling for free if you want to check it out. Good luck to you!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 24 Jan 2022, 21:10, edited 6 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
squarna
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby squarna » 24 Jan 2022, 21:27

Thanks WannitBBBad! That sounds awesome!
I've been watching some "My Keys To Music" but couldn't find a guide on the exact thing (with the modwheel turning up panel A while turning down panel B), but I'm happy that it's possible.
I'm gonna check out the Sample Editor and snatch some Mellotron sounds before selling it :)
Thanks again.
STAGE 3 COMPACT
squarna

Postby taxman » 24 Jan 2022, 22:16

It's quite simple. Hold the morph button (wheel) and turn the volume of panel A up. Then do the same thing on panel B turning the volume down. When you move the wheel you blend from panel A to panel B.
Last edited by taxman on 24 Jan 2022, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.

The author taxman was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikasquarna
taxman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby neomad » 24 Jan 2022, 22:21

One of the most (if not the most) simple to use synth out there... you can't be wrong !
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Return to Nord Stage Forum