All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Yamha MD-BT01, connect only one plug?

Postby catosim » 23 Jan 2022, 13:58

Hi
I've tried to find answers elsewhere but with no luck. So I hope someone in the forum can help me.
I'm considering to buy a wireless midi-connection, Yamaha MD-BT01, in order to connect my iPad to The Nord Stage.
My issue is that I hope the MD-BT01 will work by connecting only the IN-plug, not both plugs.
The reason for this is that I already use the MIDI-OUT in a daisy chain with my Stage as a master keyboard.
My plan is to use ForScore (iPad-app) to send program changes to the Stage (corresponding with the programs for the score currently in use).
In theory when the Stage receives a program change command, the patch in the Stage will also send the right commands to rest of the gear.
BUT before I order the MD-BT01, I'm hoping someone can confirm if I can get it to work by connecting only the MIDI-IN
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Yamha MD-BT01, connect only one plug?

Sponsor

Re: Yamha MD-BT01, connect only one plug?

Postby maxpiano » 23 Jan 2022, 18:01

Unfortunately the MDBT is powered by the OUT MIDI MIDI DIN (where the MIDI current loop power source is available) so you could avoid connecting it to the IN, but not to the OUT. As an alternative you can get a UD BT01 and use the Nord Stage USB Port instead.
Last edited by maxpiano on 23 Jan 2022, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby catosim » 23 Jan 2022, 18:22

maxpiano wrote:Unfortunately the MDBT is powered by the OUT MIDI MIDI DIN (where the MIDI current loop power source is available) so you could avoid connecting it to the IN, but not to the OUT. As an alternative you can get a UD BT01 and use the Nord Stage USB Port instead.

Just my kind of luck :facepalm: but thank you very much maxpiano, you saved me from a useless purchase :thumbup:
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Postby cphollis » 23 Jan 2022, 19:18

Depending on how far you want to go with wireless MIDI, you may also want to look at CME which does more of a mesh/fabric thing vs. point-to-point. As I wanted to plug more stuff in, things got more complex ....
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby catosim » 23 Jan 2022, 20:33

cphollis wrote:Depending on how far you want to go with wireless MIDI, you may also want to look at CME which does more of a mesh/fabric thing vs. point-to-point. As I wanted to plug more stuff in, things got more complex ....

Yeah, seems to bring me the same issue, as the powered unit in the CME WiFi is the MIDI-OUT dongle.
I reckon maybe this is the standard, so I will have to re-organize my MIDI-setup to be able to use the Bluetooth/Wireless MIDI function.
The Yamaha UD-WL01 is per se an alternative (as maxpiano suggested), but It's not as good looking as the MB-BT01 :D
Anyway, I found a solution with an USB C --> USB B cable, which lets me connect my iPad Pro directly to The Nord Stage.
In the end the "problem" is solved, just not in the way I was hoping to do. Nevertheless I'm know sending program changes from ForScore to my Nord Stage, and mission is completed :thumbup:
:thanks:
catosim

Postby PScooter63 » 26 Jan 2022, 07:39

So, to digress for a minute, since you mentioned ForScore - I’m a long-time user and fan of that app since my first iPad nearly ten years ago. If you keep the app up-to-date, like I do, and you use its MIDI features as I do… be aware that they are shifting to a subscription model for certain features, and the MIDI functionality seems to be one of them. Unfortunately I stumbled upon this during a dress rehearsal this past holiday season, and it wasn’t obvious until the whole affair was done.

This is NOT a complaint. I paid like $6.00US initially, and it’s such a treasure to me, I’d taken to donating to them over time anyway. With this annual subscription, I look at it as never having to remember to donate anymore.
Last edited by PScooter63 on 27 Jan 2022, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby catosim » 26 Jan 2022, 08:26

PScooter63 wrote:... since you mentioned ForScore - I’m a long-time user and fan of that app since my first iPad nearly ten years ago..… be aware that they are shifting to a subscription model for certain features, and the MIDI functionality seems to be one of them....

Yes, seems that subscription is the most wanted payment-model in lots of scenarios. Will just have to wait and see.
My set-up isn't depending on the program change from ForScore, just wanted to test it out since I'm using the app :)
catosim

Return to Accessories and Amplification