General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

2X MIDI,connection

Postby Mildur » 22 Jan 2022, 22:54

Help needed for MIDI- connection. Please, can anybody help. My project is to control 2 Nord Stage 2 EX keyboards with my iPad and SongBookApp, and wireless with Yamaha MD-BT01 Midi Adapter. So far i have succeeeded to control one keyboard. But with two it doesnt work. I have tried to find help i the Owners Manual and relevant internetsites- but nowhere I find help that adresses my problem. Can anybody help? Or give me som ideas to work with.
Mildur

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

2X MIDI,connection

Sponsor

Re: 2X MIDI,connection

Postby FZiegler » 23 Jan 2022, 03:04

Hi,

I'm not so much experienced with MIDI controlling, but I'm missing a detailed description of your problems, too. You only enumerate components you want to use, but you don't explain the structure of what is meant to be controlled. Usually, controlling two distinct instruments would mean that you need to be able to send commands on two different channels at the same time. Is the app able to do this? Or what else would you want to achieve? Send notes? Just control programs and a setlist? Is the iPad able to establish two connections? Daisy chaining might be complicated with only a soft thru on the Nords. Maybe a MIDI splitter would help. But be careful: Those little boxes often need 5V whereas newer MIDI sockets only deliver 3.3 V.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tasten-Bert » 23 Jan 2022, 10:41

Hi Mildur,

it might be that your issue depends on a bluetooth limitation to address one device only. If it’s not absolutely necessary for you to have it done wireless, you may have a look at how I do it by cable. I link my iPad via the camera connection kit with a MIDI cable, this one …
https://www.esi-audio.de/produkte/midimate2/
of which I plug the MIDI 5-pins in each MIDI input of my two keyboards. Setting different MIDI channels, and all works properly. I can run program changes from Set List Maker or similar things.

Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 23 Jan 2022, 11:19

Tasten-Bert wrote:Hi Mildur,

it might be that your issue depends on a bluetooth limitation to address one device only. If it’s not absolutely necessary for you to have it done wireless, you may have a look at how I do it by cable. I link my iPad via the camera connection kit with a MIDI cable, this one …
https://www.esi-audio.de/produkte/midimate2/
of which I plug the MIDI 5-pins in each MIDI input of my two keyboards. Setting different MIDI channels, and all works properly. I can run program changes from Set List Maker or similar things.

Cheers from Germany

I was thinking the same, I use sometimes a MD BT-01 but only one, I am not sure you can connect 2 of them at the same time on the iPad and anyway I'd suggest @Mildur to go for a cabled solution, with NS2EX you don't even need to use a MIDI DIN interface, just a USB Adapter (camera connection kit) + a USB hub + 2 USB cables (one per NS2) is all you need.
Last edited by maxpiano on 23 Jan 2022, 21:21, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby catosim » 23 Jan 2022, 21:05

I did som research on the Yamaha MD-BT01. and as far as I can see - it doesn't support multiple devices.
The CME Widi is able to connect several devices, according to this article: https://www.cme-pro.com/cme-widi-versus-yamaha-md-bt01/
Maybe worth checking out.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum