Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Re: Send one midi channel per pad

Postby wartaler » 09 Jun 2021, 22:09

Hi G3cdG3cd,

Great to hear that you managed to route the MIDI notes to different MIDI channels!
Personally I prefer to have a drum pattern in a single track in my DAW, but that's just personal and there might be other (hardware) sequencers that may not work with that concept, and require output per MIDI channel.

One remark though, if you send the same MIDI notes 60-67 back to the 3p's individual MIDI channels, the pitch will not be the same as you programmed them, if you want the same pitch when you send the notes back via the Individual MIDI channels, you want to transform all notes to note #60.

Curious to know; did you try if the solution mentioned above by MMS-NORD also works on the 3p?
I bet you did, otherwise you wouldn't have needed the MIDI box, but you didn't mention it..

I think most confusion in other threads is about how to control the Nord Drums via MIDI (Individual vs Global), but yeah it would be nice if they'd make sending MIDI from the 3p to other gear on the Individual MIDI channels an option..

Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Postby G3cdG3cd » 09 Jun 2021, 22:56

I THOUGHT you were right, and expected to have overlooked something. so if I wanted to route pad 6 to channel 15, it would be:
change "MIDI channel 16, Note On Note Value 69" to "MIDI channel 15, Note On, Note Value 60"

BUT I tried it … on my sequencer, the pitch is actually exactly the same during playback from the recording AND when hitting the drum pad, I don't need to shift Note Value 69 to 60. When I recorded into a single global channel before, the sound DID shift though depending what pad I hit (and then played everything back with the sound allocated to pad 1), so I can understand what you mean.

Changing the pitch to the lower 15 notes was not applicable for me as especially the high hats and stuff are often in a range of a pitch of 80-110.

Another things I was worried about was a MIDI loop, btw, so I expected that changing the channel 16 note to channel 10, then leading it into my sequencer that goes back into the Nord MIGHT create an infinite loop or at least a slight echo. But even with Lo On, PC Sr and CC Sr, there is no loop or echo, bless the Clavia Gods!
Last edited by G3cdG3cd on 09 Jun 2021, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.
G3cdG3cd

Postby wartaler » 09 Jun 2021, 23:48

Hi G3cdG3cd,

When using the Global MIDI channel to trigger drum sounds, the MIDI note is only used to address the correct drum channel, the Tone pitch parameter determines the pitch. When using the individual MIDI channels, both the MIDI note that you send to the 3p, and the Tone pitch parameter determine the pitch of the drum sound. You can use this feature to play melodies on a single drum channel. Only if you send MIDI note 60, you will hear the original programmed pitch of the Tone pitch parameter. If you set the Tone pitch parameter to 60, the pitch will correspond to the MIDI note that the 3p receives (a C triggers a C, etc).

However, -and I think this explains your observations- if your 3p receives back the notes via the loop* that includes your MIDI transformation then I'd expect it to behave as you descibe it: you'll hear the same pitch while playing live or recording as when playing back the recording. But if you then disconnect all MIDI, I'd expect the pitch of some of the drum channels to be lower.

*Normally I'd say this requires to have Local Off on the 3p, but the incoming note apparently overrides (cuts off) the original note that was triggered internally quickly enough to not hear it.

Btw, I actually never tested the method of MMS-Nord, so I decided to do so now, I was surprised to find out that it doesn't seem to work on my ND2 (OS3.0) either, notes are still only sent on the Global MIDI channel, whatever other MIDI settings and configurations I try..

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 20 Jun 2021, 10:31, edited 7 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby HeavyNettles » 20 Jan 2022, 17:42

hummelman wrote:Want to set up my Digitakt with my Nord Drum 3 - with one dedicated midi channel per track on the Digitakt AND The Nord Drum. Works fine in one direction, which is the digitakt sending midi to the nord drum. But not the other! The Nord drum does not seem to send any midi per channel, even though I have assigned each pad to one channel. Any ideas?'

MY SETTINGS
1. The Nord Drum Midi settings, Globlal: 0ff
2. The Nord Drum Midi settings, per pad.
Pad 1: Channel 9,
Pad 2: Channel 10 ....and so on...

Hey! Did you ever figure out how to connect your Digitakt to your Nord Drum 3? I’m trying to connect via global and individual midi and am having an impossible time.
HeavyNettles

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Previous

Return to Nord Drum Forum