Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Re: Nord stage 3 layering samples

Postby FZiegler » 13 Aug 2021, 13:24

There are people arriving on the forum who complain about the Nord Stage or Electro saying: What - only 1 or 2 synth engines, only 2 or 4 KB zones, only 2 or 4 MIDI channels etc.!

If you want to fire preconstructed sounds, a Kronos probably will have much more capabilities to get close to the original. The arp section of the Stage is not very powerful, for example. No sequencer. Little capability for EDM (only 1 LFO). That's what you might need in a cover band - as far as I've understood.

If you say: I want to make my own sounding and want to be able to hook up a new sound in a few seconds or change my settings softly or dramatically while playing, a Nord is great.

I'm the keyboarder in a big band playing jazz, latin and pop standards - mostly with a different sounding than the original (special arrangements, no covers). So the capabilities of a Stage are far more than I need for that as nobody is asking me to sound exactly like XY.

What I intended to say is: A Stage 3 cannot be the best instrument on the market for everything - as some people seem to think. But I have experienced that it has pushed my creativity. Of course, it's primarily made for live use - with a distinct idea behind what live playing could mean.

Tristanmac wrote:I assumed as it was super easy to build a patch, piano/organ/pads, easily turn on/off or blend, and sounded great that it would be ideal for the meat and potatoes of any keys player?

I fully agree on that. Even if I don't know what you exactly mean by a meat and potato sound (I'm not a native English speaker). To me, it's acoustic piano (great uprights!), Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, electric organs and a little synth playing. A Nord Stage will even provide some vegetable and sauce. And indeed: for the rest (whatever that is), you still have the Nord Sample Editor and the Extern section.
Last edited by FZiegler on 13 Aug 2021, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby FZiegler » 13 Aug 2021, 13:42

By the way, you may have already seen this thread which could be of some interest for you: There is more than one way to see a Nord Stage.

nord-stage-forum-f3/stage-3-rivals-t21318.html#p144968
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby ericL » 13 Aug 2021, 15:05

I haven't found the synth and sampling capabilities on the NS3 to be a hindrance at all and I'm able to cover pretty much anything with it, and room to spare. One of my bands plays a ton of '80s new wave and things with lots of different sounds - all of this can be covered perfectly by the NS3. Plus what a great sounding piano and organ engine. Give it a moment to learn how to harness its power and as others have said, read the manual and watch online tutorials about it.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by 2 members, including:
DJKeysFZiegler
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tristanmac » 20 Aug 2021, 14:14

ericL wrote:I haven't found the synth and sampling capabilities on the NS3 to be a hindrance at all and I'm able to cover pretty much anything with it, and room to spare. One of my bands plays a ton of '80s new wave and things with lots of different sounds - all of this can be covered perfectly by the NS3. Plus what a great sounding piano and organ engine. Give it a moment to learn how to harness its power and as others have said, read the manual and watch online tutorials about it.

Thanks guys!

Ive had a interesting week, I actually had second thoughts about the Nord Stage 3, so I kept it but bought a Roland Fantom 8 to try out to compare.
It probably took me about 2-3 minutes to realise the Nord was way way better!

The piano/organ sounds are simple better, quicker to edit live on the fly, add some drive to the EP, or quickly flick fx on, or ADSR.
The Fantom simply didn't excite me so its going back after 10 minutes of demoing...

The Nord is also going back but Im getting the 88 key version, as Im simply running out of keys on this 76... But I think this is the one for me!
The Roland also was full of 20 years of Roland XP/XV/JV Shite (that's a real word here in Scotland - and 'not' a swear word)... Honestly it costs $4000
and we still get XP-50 organs and EPs!

BTW - just for those who own Korg Kronos, Ive been through 3 of those too, and that took me slightly more time than the Roland to dislike it...

So I might just have to live with the simple Sample Section, and anyway if I get a tour or job where I 'need' more horse power in the sample engine, I will
just bring in the Mac and MainStage via EXT I assume...
Last edited by Tristanmac on 20 Aug 2021, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

The author Tristanmac was thanked by 2 members, including:
BerretjeSchorsch
Tristanmac

Postby Schorsch » 20 Aug 2021, 14:51

Thanks for sharing this!
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby MarkJames » 20 Aug 2021, 18:12

Tristanmac wrote:
ericL wrote:I haven't found the synth and sampling capabilities on the NS3 to be a hindrance at all and I'm able to cover pretty much anything with it, and room to spare. One of my bands plays a ton of '80s new wave and things with lots of different sounds - all of this can be covered perfectly by the NS3. Plus what a great sounding piano and organ engine. Give it a moment to learn how to harness its power and as others have said, read the manual and watch online tutorials about it.

Thanks guys!

Ive had a interesting week, I actually had second thoughts about the Nord Stage 3, so I kept it but bought a Roland Fantom 8 to try out to compare.
It probably took me about 2-3 minutes to realise the Nord was way way better!

The piano/organ sounds are simple better, quicker to edit live on the fly, add some drive to the EP, or quickly flick fx on, or ADSR.
The Fantom simply didn't excite me so its going back after 10 minutes of demoing...

The Nord is also going back but Im getting the 88 key version, as Im simply running out of keys on this 76... But I think this is the one for me!
The Roland also was full of 20 years of Roland XP/XV/JV Shite (that's a real word here in Scotland - and 'not' a swear word)... Honestly it costs $4000
and we still get XP-50 organs and EPs!

BTW - just for those who own Korg Kronos, Ive been through 3 of those too, and that took me slightly more time than the Roland to dislike it...

So I might just have to live with the simple Sample Section, and anyway if I get a tour or job where I 'need' more horse power in the sample engine, I will
just bring in the Mac and MainStage via EXT I assume...

What I've chosen to do (so far) with my new Nord stack is to use it for what it's good for - live performance.

If I need something esoteric I have a ton of VSTs that I've invested in over the years - Native Instruments Komplete, Arturia Pigments & V Collection, Omnisphere 2, Keyscape. Really it's total overkill but I've got it. So - I built a 3U rack PC (i7-8700 w/32GB of RAM and 2TB SSD) that will also run Gig Performer. So in some cases potentially I'll be running a VST played from a Nord instead of the onboard sounds.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby neomad » 17 Jan 2022, 18:09

latoyaart wrote:
Schorsch wrote:Thanks for sharing this!

You are absolutely right. The Nord Stage 3 is an excellent combination of stage piano, organ simulator, synth and sampler - as well as a capable MIDI master keyboard for rack gear. Best of all, it weighs in at under 42 lbs. So this is considerably less that most competitors" 88 note keyboards.

:clap:

And sounds amazingly good, whilst was built like a tank ;-) :keyboard:
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Previous

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)