General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 - Wah effect on piano engine, not possible?

Postby Gone_Insane » 14 Jan 2022, 16:33

Hello, I'm new to the community and to the Nord world. I want to ask about a frustrating limitation that I came across while making a program for a distinct sound.

It is a very "dirty" clavinet sound. Only the piano engine is on in panel A, tried using Leslie AND drive in Amp Sim section. Tweaked and tuned and I was happy with the result. But I wanted to add a slow filter sweep acting as an "auto-wah".

In my mind, this was simple. LFO on filter and I'm done. But both the LFO and filter are only available on synth engine. I was dumbfounded. I had a mini epiphany when I realised the filters in the Amp Sim section. So you can apply a filter. But, it cannot be modified by LFO, only by the 3 moprhs.

I'm almost sure this is correct, but i figured I would ask anyway. Is there anyway to turn on the synth engine and use the LFO to interact with the piano engine? :thanx:
Gone_Insane

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Nord Stage 3 - Wah effect on piano engine, not possible?

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 - Wah effect on piano engine, not possible?

Postby analogika » 14 Jan 2022, 16:55

There is no way to route LFOs or other control signals between the engines. The routing is fixed.

Sorry.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ajstan » 14 Jan 2022, 17:01

Welcome! There's an Auto-Wah as well as morph-controllable Wah options in the effects section that you can apply to any of the 3 engines, including piano. Maybe that can get you the effect you are trying to achieve.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
Gone_Insane
ajstan

Postby Gone_Insane » 14 Jan 2022, 17:45

Thanks ajstan

The auto-wah works on velocity upon key press, but if you sustain a held note it no longer "moves"

The morph is the only way. I would have to morph the filter with control pedal and manually (foot-ually :D) rock the pedal slowly back and forth.
Gone_Insane

Postby ericL » 14 Jan 2022, 18:05

I love playing dirty clav with the control pedal controlling wah - reminds me of playing a real clavinet with a Cry Baby. Very intuitive and funky.

One other thought that could help you is to find a good synth clav in the synth engine and then use the LFO there, perhaps doubled with a clav sound from the piano section. Since NS3 has the two panels, you could double up a couple of things across each panel with different types of effects and it gets really fun then.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
Gone_Insane
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 14 Jan 2022, 20:48

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! Auto-wah and morphing the Wah Effect have been mentioned. You also have the option to morph the Auto-wah in a way where it affects the range, so for long songs with the wah effect, you can let the Auto-wah do most of the work and use the control pedal to spice it up a little when needed. Here's a link to "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder with the effect --> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/classic-rock-and-other-programs-set-1-t15722.html. Good luck to you!
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Gone_Insane
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Gone_Insane » 15 Jan 2022, 00:10

Thanks for more suggestions. Looking for a good clav sample is on my to do list as a workaround. The geek in me is disappointed I wouldn't have the nicely mapped clav in the piano engine, but in a live setting it would hardly matter. I've been having too much fun tinkering with other stuff in the meantime.

And thanks WannitBBB. I had actually scoured this forum for programs before my NS3 even arrived and had downloaded a bunch of yours! Awesome stuff, thanks. When I loaded a bunch in I got a ton of errors because I didn't have underlying samples or pianos loaded. I have to go through one by one to try and fix that. Also on the to do list.

Overall I guess it's a bit of a shame for such a keyboard to have what seems like a simple limitation, but a few workarounds and some minor compromise and I can get what I was looking for.

Appreciate the discussion!
Gone_Insane

Postby cphollis » 15 Jan 2022, 03:53

ericL wrote:One other thought that could help you is to find a good synth clav in the synth engine and then use the LFO there, perhaps doubled with a clav sound from the piano section. Since NS3 has the two panels, you could double up a couple of things across each panel with different types of effects and it gets really fun then.

I had the same thought. I use the Synth Clav synth preset to get a very sharp, clav-like sound that has the envelopes I want (all LFOs, etc. available), and then blend it with the more realistic clav samples from the piano section through auto-wah, etc. It may get you closer to what you're looking for.

The other thing I've meant to try is resampling the Nord piano section clav section using Sample Editor and loading them up as synth section samples, where of course you have much more control at your disposal. I find the core clav sound pretty useful as a building block.

EricL is quite right about it being fun. I use the above approach to create monstrous clav sounds for a few songs that need them. Add a bit of B3 attack from the organ section, and it pops.
Last edited by cphollis on 15 Jan 2022, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Nord Stage Forum