General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Grandmas Upright : Adjustable Velocity Curve??

Postby Somnambule » 29 Dec 2021, 06:37

I own a Nord Stage 2 and just discovered the Grandmas Upright nsmp sample, which sounds pretty good for such a small sample. I like its warm quality. I realize that nsmp samples have no velocity, i.e. each note uses only 1 fixed sample. By turning on the "AMP ENV Velocity" option on the NS2, I can make the sample responsive to velocity when I play on the keyboard, but I find that it's very lacking in dynamics: my playing still sounds way too compressed, even with the option turned on. Is there any way to tweak the velocity curve for the Grandmas Upright sample? Or do I only have the option of switching the "AMP ENV Velocity" on/off? Is there any way I can give more expression to that fixed-velocity sample?

Thank you very much!
Attachments
eM_Grandmas_Upright_Velocity.mp3
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 29 Dec 2021, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambule

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Grandmas Upright : Adjustable Velocity Curve??

Sponsor

Re: Grandmas Upright : Adjustable Velocity Curve??

Postby WannitBBBad » 29 Dec 2021, 07:56

Somnambule wrote:I own a Nord Stage 2 and just discovered the Grandmas Upright nsmp sample, which sounds pretty good for such a small sample. I like its warm quality. I realize that nsmp samples have no velocity, i.e. each note uses only 1 fixed sample. By turning on the "AMP ENV Velocity" option on the NS2, I can make the sample responsive to velocity when I play on the keyboard, but I find that it's very lacking in dynamics: my playing still sounds way too compressed, even with the option turned on. Is there any way to tweak the velocity curve for the Grandmas Upright sample? Or do I only have the option of switching the "AMP ENV Velocity" on/off? Is there any way I can give more expression to that fixed-velocity sample?

Thank you very much!

One option is to also use the Mod Env velocity on the filter so lower velocity hits are filtered more, being both lower in level and not as bright. The EQ can also be set so that the harder hits are enhanced, adding to the dynamics. You can also slightly morph the synth level to the control pedal to bring it in or out of the mix as needed.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 30 Dec 2021, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Mr_-G-
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Kaffimusic » 29 Dec 2021, 10:30

Hello there, since I just owned a NS3 I do not know precisely... But I guess it´s most likely pretty much the same. The piano section on the Stage series is just a sample player with very little options to change things. I guess what you have done is already the max what is possible. No editing of envelopes or velocity curves. Maybe you are more successful when you´d be able to load that into the synth section, since you can do more there - but Nord has blocked that with their technology to not being able to read their own very special format as normal samples. The best idea I have about that is: Resample the piano with max velocity, and then put it together as a new keymap that can be loaded into the synth section. Now you can bend it to your will. Might go along with a loss of quality, depending on your experience how to deal with such things. Sampling, looping, choosing keyranges...
I also might add, I do not know if we talk about stereo samples here and if the NS2 is able to read them.
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 29 Dec 2021, 10:32, edited 2 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby maxpiano » 29 Dec 2021, 10:34

Kaffimusic wrote:Hello there, since I just owned a NS3 I do not know precisely... But I guess it´s most likely pretty much the same. The piano section on the Stage series is just a sample player with very little options to change things. I guess what you have done is already the max what is possible. No editing of envelopes or velocity curves. Maybe you are more successful when you´d be able to load that into the synth section, since you can do more there - but Nord has blocked that with their technology to not being able to read their own very special format as normal samples. The best idea I have about that is: Resample the piano with max velocity, and then put it together as a new keymap that can be loaded into the synth section. Now you can bend it to your will. Might go along with a loss of quality, depending on your experience how to deal with such things. Sampling, looping, choosing keyranges...
I also might add, I do not know if we talk about stereo samples here and if the NS2 is able to read them.

That sample the OP is talking about is already a nsmp (Synth sample), nothing to do with Piano section, so all he can do is what WannitBBBad suggested (modulate also the filter env with velocity, besides Amp).

Otherwise I think there are some Uprights of the Nord piano library that if properly EQed would be even better, like the Mellow Upright (if the OP is after a warm/mellow sound, but it's up to him to try and see what he likes most)
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Dec 2021, 12:45, edited 6 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Kaffimusic » 29 Dec 2021, 11:43

Ah, uhm, well, I followed the wrong track. Sorry.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby Somnambule » 30 Dec 2021, 16:03

Thank you very much for all your answers! I will toy with all the possibilities, and might end up tweaking the EQ on the Mellow Upright as an alternative solution.
Somnambule

Postby alex78 » 30 Dec 2021, 16:20

Why not try layering another piano from the piano section and play around with the levels?
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby ericL » 30 Dec 2021, 18:12

That does sound nice for a nsmp file, though I'd still go for one of the many uprights that are available in the Nord Piano Library. So many options! I've been using a layer on my NS3 with the XL Bambino on one panel and the Large Rain upright on the other panel. I use slight different EQ and delays on each panel. It is a very pleasing combination with a lot of dynamic expression.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum