Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Keyboard for RV travel practice?

Postby Skylight » 28 Dec 2021, 00:10

My NS3C is too big and heavy to take along while travelling in a small RV/caravan (vacations, not gigs). I want to be able to practice (intermediate piano player + keys in a surf rock band). I can't be the only one asking this - does anyone know of a thread on this? Better still - what recommendations do you have? It doesn't have to be perfect as I'm not a professional, but it's nice when it sounds good.
Last edited by Skylight on 28 Dec 2021, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
Skylight

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Keyboard for RV travel practice?

Sponsor

Re: Keyboard for RV travel practice?

Postby anotherscott » 29 Dec 2021, 15:43

Lots of possibilities. Answers will vary based on things like the minimum number of keys you think you need, whether you're okay with mini-keys, if you want the board to have its own speakers (otherwise you'll also need an amp, or will have to use headphones), what your budget is, whether you want a wide variety of sounds or if just a handful will do (and if the latter, what sounds are most important to you), whether it has to be self-contained or if you'd be okay connecting to something like an iPhone/iPad/laptop... there are so many possible ways to go that it's tough to narrow down suggestions without answers to at least some of those questions.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Skylight
anotherscott

Postby ajstan » 29 Dec 2021, 20:42

Check out the $200 Casio CT- S1. I have one and love it. Surprisingly good sound and keybed, compact, light, and runs on 6 AA batteries. Let us know if that meets your needs or if there are additional features you’d like to have. The optional $79 Bluetooth adapter will allow you to stream music from your phone.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by 2 members, including:
Tasten-BertSkylight
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Rusty Mike » 29 Dec 2021, 22:30

ajstan wrote:Check out the $200 Casio CT- S1. I have one and love it. Surprisingly good sound and keybed, compact, light, and runs on 6 AA batteries. Let us know if that meets your needs or if there are additional features you’d like to have. The optional $79 Bluetooth adapter will allow you to stream music from your phone.

+1 on this. I bought the CT-S300 before the S1 came out, and really like it for travel. The S1 has higher quality piano sounds compared to the S300, but it's not worth it for me to upgrade. USB connections are easy, it's super light, the action is fine and it sound pretty good. Good value for the money. I also bought a soft bag for travel.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by 2 members, including:
Tasten-BertSkylight
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Skylight » 30 Dec 2021, 23:44

Thank you all - yes, anotherscott, I tend to get overwhelmed by the possibilities - including roll-up and fold-up keyboards! Some keyboards mentioned in some travel keyboard forums aren't marketed anymore, so that confused me also.

I should have been more clear - I don't need a full set of keys; yes to using headphones. Thanks for mentioning USB - I hadn't thought of that, but I guess that could be important. Price - quality is more important than expense; less than $500.

It looks like there are two good possibilities - Casio's S1 you mentioned and the Casio S400. The Casio X3000 is quite a bit larger and heavier, so maybe that's not a great choice.

Thanks again. Any other comments welcome as I'm still feeling like quite the newbie to keyboards.
Skylight

Postby anotherscott » 31 Dec 2021, 00:02

That Casio CT-S1 looks really appealing. Personally, my own travel board is a (discontinued) Korg Microstation. I don't mind its mini-keys, and it gives me 5 octaves in the smallest, lightest package, plus it has strong MIDI functions if I want to use it with an iPad. But as I said, people will have different priorities. Someone else would say it's not for them because of the mini-keys, or wanting it to have speakers, or wanting it to run on batteries...
anotherscott

Postby Rusty Mike » 31 Dec 2021, 03:48

I also recently got a Yamaha Reface CP for travel. For mini keys the action is decent enough (better than my IRig Keys), and I can play it by itself or connected to the iPad. For our driving trips either the CP or the Casio are great.

It’s a similar quandary for me, as my wife and I want to do some extensive European travel (multiple weeks at a time) as soon as it’s possible. I’m trying to figure out a decent balance between portability and capability. While the 25-key controllers will fit into a backpack or carry-on, they are completely inadequate for any kind of playing, recording or figuring stuff out (I’m not into making “phat beats”). The products that are playable are generally too long and not suitable for carry-on baggage. They can be checked for the large international flights, but won’t work very well for puddle jumpers.

As a result, I’ve been figuring out how to continue music during our extensive travel times. It’s apparent that traditional piano practice is out of the picture. I’ve been making a list of jazz solos I want to transcribe, and am starting to look into using the iPad as a more robust DAW platform to maybe do some mixing or in-the-box arranging and recording.

Piano de Voyage just came out with a new lightweight modular keyboard. But, even dismantled, it’s a bulky thing to drag around Europe.

COVID has put a serious delay on our ability to actually travel, but we’re optimistic to hopefully start this coming spring.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby MarkJames » 03 Jan 2022, 18:08

Out of your price range but this looks good.

https://pocketpiano.com
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL

The author MarkJames was thanked by 3 members, including:
SkylightPScooter63Rusty Mike
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby Tasten-Bert » 12 Jan 2022, 14:56

Skylight wrote:My NS3C is too big and heavy to take along while travelling in a small RV/caravan (vacations, not gigs). I want to be able to practice (intermediate piano player + keys in a surf rock band). I can't be the only one asking this - does anyone know of a thread on this? Better still - what recommendations do you have? It doesn't have to be perfect as I'm not a professional, but it's nice when it sounds good.

Hi,

I‘ve never thought I would buy a Casio one day, but the amount of posts here mentioning the CT-S1 made me curious. I tried it, I bought it - and it is indeed very nice for the „playing in between“. It runs on batteries as well as on 230 V, it has a really convincing piano sound which made me more than once take the casio and not the nord at home, I can link my iPad‘s camera kit with a standard USB-C cable to play my synth apps, it has an audio in to mix iPad and internal sound, it has speakers for camp fire eves or so … It may sound like an advert wording from Casio, but I‘m just happy having stumbled over that little thing here. Thanks to all who mentioned it.

Coming back to the OP‘s question, I‘m a camper myself and can put the casio ready to play at some space in the camper above the driver‘s seats, I enclose fotos. By the way, the scribbling below the right window is an original autograph of Ian Paice, who wrote „FOR JON“ and signed it last year.

Cheers from Germany, and stay healthy everybody
Attachments
CECB2D40-C99F-499E-816A-F8F785B85A6A.jpeg
Safe space, even on the road. My electro 5D61 fits in here as well, incl. case
CECB2D40-C99F-499E-816A-F8F785B85A6A.jpeg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 5493 times
BB1AFC98-CB74-4C2F-914C-25D823544428.jpeg
The Casio‘s space is above the seats
BB1AFC98-CB74-4C2F-914C-25D823544428.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 5493 times
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by 4 members, including:
SkylightCountFoscoMr_-G-ajstan
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby cphollis » 12 Jan 2022, 23:05

My RV board is the Akai MPK249 controller to an iPad. I use it via headphones to work through parts, compose, etc. Not for sitting around the campfire with others. I like the solid synth action and build. It also doubles on stage quite well when needed. Not expensive, the sort of thing you'd keep for a long time.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Skylight
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Next

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum