Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

NSMP conversion to NSMP4 using Nord Sound Manager

Postby WannitBBBad » 15 Dec 2021, 00:49

Using the latest version of Nord Sound Manager (NSM), has anyone been successful using "drag n drop" to move a user-created sample in NSMP format to an empty sample location in the Piano 5? When I drag a NSMP file to a sample location on my Stage 3, I get a message saying it's the wrong format but NSM will allow me to indicate I want to convert it to NSMP3. When NSM is connected to a Piano 5, does a similar message come up if a NSMP file is dragged to an empty sample location on the Piano 5 where NSM will convert it to NSMP4?
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NSMP conversion to NSMP4 using Nord Sound Manager

Sponsor

Re: NSMP conversion to NSMP4 using Nord Sound Manager

Postby wtibbit » 15 Dec 2021, 03:31

WannitBBBad wrote:Using the latest version of Nord Sound Manager (NSM), has anyone been successful using "drag n drop" to move a user-created sample in NSMP format to an empty sample location in the Piano 5? When I drag a NSMP file to a sample location on my Stage 3, I get a message saying it's the wrong format but NSM will allow me to indicate I want to convert it to NSMP3. When NSM is connected to a Piano 5, does a similar message come up if a NSMP file is dragged to an empty sample location on the Piano 5 where NSM will convert it to NSMP4?

I tried that with my Piano 5 and the NSM using a NSM that works on the NS3 (and, I assume, the NP4). I got the same message about incorrect format, but I wasn't given the option to convert the sample to the correct format.

The author wtibbit was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby WannitBBBad » 15 Dec 2021, 15:13

wtibbit wrote:..
I tried that with my Piano 5 and the NSM using a NSM that works on the NS3 (and, I assume, the NP4). I got the same message about incorrect format, but I wasn't given the option to convert the sample to the correct format.

Thank you!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 17 Dec 2021, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 27 May 2022, 19:23

Nord Piano 5 owners, have any of you been successful using "drag-n-drop" to move a user-created sample in NSMP format to an empty sample location in the Piano 5 using Nord Sound Manager v7.60 or higher? Examples of user-created samples would be like the organ samples I have posted at nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/hammond-888-nsmp-samples-t21307.html.

NSM should give you an error when trying to use drag-n-drop to copy a NSMP file to an open sample location, however it should also ask if you want to convert it to NSMP4 format. Feedback appreciated, thanks.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby wtibbit » 29 May 2022, 03:54

WannitBBBad wrote:Nord Piano 5 owners, have any of you been successful using "drag-n-drop" to move a user-created sample in NSMP format to an empty sample location in the Piano 5 using Nord Sound Manager v7.60 or higher? Examples of user-created samples would be like the organ samples I have posted at nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/hammond-888-nsmp-samples-t21307.html.

NSM should give you an error when trying to use drag-n-drop to copy a NSMP file to an open sample location, however it should also ask if you want to convert it to NSMP4 format. Feedback appreciated, thanks.

I'll try this again using NSM 7.62 when I get home early next week.
wtibbit
Donator

Postby wtibbit » 30 May 2022, 06:04

WannitBBBad wrote:Nord Piano 5 owners, have any of you been successful using "drag-n-drop" to move a user-created sample in NSMP format to an empty sample location in the Piano 5 using Nord Sound Manager v7.60 or higher? Examples of user-created samples would be like the organ samples I have posted at nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/hammond-888-nsmp-samples-t21307.html.

I'm very happy to report that Nord Sound Manager v7.62 WILL convert and download user-generated .nsmp sample files to 4.0 format and they will work in a Piano 5.

Unhappily, however, it WILL NOT convert Nord's Sample Library 3.0 files to 4.0 format.

Details:
I downloaded WannitBBBad's very nice user-generated B3 888 organ sample to my Piano 5 and it worked perfectly. As expected, the Sound Manager software recognized that the format of the user-generated sample was incorrect for the Piano and presented a dialog box stating that fact and asking me if I wanted the sample converted to the new format. I clicked OK and the sample downloaded normally; the conversion happened without any obvious delay or any other issues. The sample played perfectly.

I was unsuccessful in my attemp to use NSM v7.62 to download the Cello Chamberlin sample from Sample Library 3.0 and convert the file to 4.0 format. When I attempted to open the sample file during the workflow NSM presented a dialog box with this download error message:

"File extension for "Cello Chamberlin_M35 Sml mono 3.0" (nsmp3) is not supported by this instrument.

Please use a file of correct type, and try again."

I tried this again after changing the file type in the filename to nsmp (as the user generated files are named), but that didn't work. I got the same error message except for the the message reflected the changed file type: (nsmp)

The author wtibbit was thanked by 3 members, including:
FZieglerWannitBBBadflorence
wtibbit
Donator

Postby maxpiano » 30 May 2022, 07:59

The error could be caused by the fact that the sample "Cello Chamberlin_M35 Sml mono 3.0" (nsmp3)" is from the official Nord Sample Library and not a "user created"? Btw if I am not mistaken, that sample should already be available also as NSMP v4.

An alternative test would be to have a user-created nsmp v3 and try to convert that one, if it works then the above is true.
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 May 2022, 08:01, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby wtibbit » 30 May 2022, 15:09

maxpiano wrote:The error could be caused by the fact that the sample "Cello Chamberlin_M35 Sml mono 3.0" (nsmp3)" is from the official Nord Sample Library and not a "user created"? Btw if I am not mistaken, that sample should already be available also as NSMP v4.

An alternative test would be to have a user-created nsmp v3 and try to convert that one, if it works then the above is true.

I believe the NSM software will not convert an official Nord 3.0 sample into a Nord 4.0 sample. If it was that easy to do and the results would satisfy Nord they could have easily written a routine to automatically and very quickly convert the entire 3.0 library into a 4.0 library. They didn't do that for some reason. I suspect either licensing issues or functional/quality issues with the P5's sample rendering engine and its new features.

If someone will point me to a user-created .nsmp3 file, I'll test to determine if the Sample Manager will convert it to a version 4 sample and load it into my P5.
wtibbit
Donator

Postby maxpiano » 30 May 2022, 16:20

wtibbit wrote:If someone will point me to a user-created .nsmp3 file, I'll test to determine if the Sample Manager will convert it to a version 4 sample and load it into my P5.

There are a couple of .nsmp3 in this thread nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/final-countdown-patch-sample-playback-t16040.html?hilit=.nsmp3
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 May 2022, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
wtibbit
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby wtibbit » 30 May 2022, 17:36

maxpiano wrote:
wtibbit wrote:If someone will point me to a user-created .nsmp3 file, I'll test to determine if the Sample Manager will convert it to a version 4 sample and load it into my P5.

There are a couple of .nsmp3 in this thread nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/final-countdown-patch-sample-playback-t16040.html?hilit=.nsmp3

I used Sound Manager 7.62 to successfully download and convert the user-generated EUROPA_PAD.nsmp3 file to version 4 format. When I uploaded that sample back to my computer I saw that the converted file name is now EUROPA_PAD.nsmp4.

This test further convinces me that Nord is doing more than simply converting their Sample 3.0 library to version 4.0 format using the conversion routine embodied in the Sound Manager software, and that effort isn't high on their priority list. Or, possibly, or they have cost or legal issues with sample licenses. Either way, the Sound Manager tool recognizes the official Nord version 3.0 samples and refuses to convert them to version 4.0.

The author wtibbit was thanked by 4 members, including:
WannitBBBadFILTERSWEEP7FZieglermaxpiano
wtibbit
Donator

Next

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum