Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead A1 outputs 1, 2, 3, 4 issue, help

Postby MrWriter » 07 Dec 2021, 13:40

I’m having a little technical issue with Lead A1 and the outputs on the back.

Until now I've only used output jack sockets 1 & 2 on the back, which go into some monitors and I have another set of cables hanging at the back of the A1 for when I record into my DAW, then I will yank out the cables that go into my monitors for general practice purposes and plug the cables into outputs 1 & 2 that go into my DAW. However, I decided all this yanking cables in and out was a pain so I read in the manual how to switch from outputs 1 & 2 to outputs 3 & 4 so I can leave all for cables connected to the four outputs on the back and simply switch from outputs 1&2 for practice (these go into monitors on the wall where the synth is) and then just use the Shift/System shortcut and change the output to 3&4 for when I do DAW recording. I think that's what this menu setting is designed to do, switch between outputs 1&2 to 3&4?

Anyway, here is the issue. Using sound b.37 (EuroSaw MP) with mod wheel furthest towards player for brightest sound as this has a ping pong delay effect so when you staccato hit a note you get some echo ping pong notes after it.

Using the Shift/System key combo and then going to menu 10 to change the output configuration from outputs 1&2 to outputs 3&4 seems to be doing something strange.

When it is set to outputs 3&4 (A.34 on red display) it still outputs from 1&2 as well as 3&4 i.e. sounds coming out of all four output jacks all at the same time. However, output channels 1&2 are lacking in bass, the bass is too light, almost not there some reason. Outputs 3&4 are nice and heavy with the bass, but they don't have the echo/delay effect. It’s as if the sounds are all being spread across the four outputs with echo/delay ping-pong effect coming out of outputs 1&2 while the bass comes out of 3&4. This strangeness only happens when menu output is set to 3&4. When it is set to outputs 1&2 then all sounds come out of 1&2, but nothing comes out of 3&4, which is what I would expect, but when I set outputs to 3&4 the sounds are sort of spread across all four outputs, again, using the b.37 EuroSaw MP preset sound.

I've done a factory restore, but only for the sounds using Nord Sound Manager, but this did not fix anything.

Is there some sort of 'hard' factory reset that I can do in case the output System menu has somehow got screwed up? Or am I just missing something here or doing something wrong?

Thanks so much in advance as this is a pain and if I can't fix it it means I'll have to keep switching cables physically into outputs 1&2 and leave the system menu set to 1&2.
MrWriter

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Nord Lead A1 outputs 1, 2, 3, 4 issue, help

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead A1 outputs 1, 2, 3, 4 issue, help

Postby MrWriter » 07 Dec 2021, 16:28

Found the answer. I didn't realise that slots A, B, C and D all had to individually be output to the correct outputs on the back. With this given patch I only had slot A coming out of 1 and 2 with the other slots coming out of 3 and 4 hence the crazy stuff going on. Anyway, sorted now.

The author MrWriter was thanked by:
kelpchofs
MrWriter

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum