The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Help! NORD C1 Combo Organ

Postby gazzeel » 02 Feb 2011, 19:31

Ive had my C1 now for about 2 years and love it but my percussionist who is an electronics engineer wired me up an old Hammond B200 Organ Expression pedal with Leslie on/off click switch attached. It fits via Jack into the Nord Rotary socket but can only work through a regular 'reading lamp' on/off switch which he has had to adapt to be screwed to the inside of the click under the pedal. In other words the excellent 'light touch' Hammond Type switch will not work in the Nord's Jack socket. (The B200 Pedal had a 5 pin DIN plug on it which he has had to change to a jack.)

my problem is the 'reading lamp' switches wear out very quickly and are clumsy and you have to really whack your Right foot to the left hard to make it switch on and off.

Does anyone know of a similar Expression Pedal with a left sided footswitch for Leslie on/off????? After years of playing B200's and X5's with footswitches can't believe Nord havent incorporated one on their new pedalboard for the Nord C2??

According to my Percussionist it's hard to find a (I think he said latch type switch or something) that is similar to the Hammonds.

I'm told that maybe the Roland PK-7A midi pedal board's Expression Pedal will work but I'm not sure and they are REALLY expensive.

any ideas guys, much appreciated?

gary
Last edited by gazzeel on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
gazzeel

Help! NORD C1 Combo Organ

Sponsor

Re: Help! NORD C1 Combo Organ

Postby Johannes » 03 Feb 2011, 11:14

You mean a pedal like this?
hammond_exp_pedal.jpg
hammond_exp_pedal.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

That would be indeed nice, be it for the Stage, Electro, or C1/C2. But I am not aware of modding one of the Hammonds for the Nord Jack connectors, but should be possible, just need a multimeter, some soldering and in the worst case, a small IC controller.
But unfortunately, there are AFAIK no other Pedals that integrate both an expression and switch. Would be happy to have one modded for my stage as well!

There is however, the Roland PK25 (http://www.roland.com/products/en/PK-25/ or the PK7A, but here you get additionally the bass pedals.
Last edited by Johannes on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Help! FIXED!!!! Whooohoooo!!!!

Postby gazzeel » 03 Feb 2011, 21:22

thanks for the reply..

We've fixed the problem!!! What we should have done is put the pedal to 'toggle' mode in the Nord C1 Menu and the Hammond Pedals with footswitches work perfectly!!

But we needed the 5 pin Din plug to go into a small junction box, with a 12volt power supply attached as the Hammond Pedals work by a light bulb volume control and it needs the power.

I can't believe the problem is solved at last!!! If only we'd have put it on toggle before I wouldnt have had all this hassle with the 'reading lamp switch'
It works fantastic now!!!!

So it's official YOU CAN USE HAMMOND PEDAL WITH LESLIE On/Off/slow switch on a NORD! Why wouldnt everyone want one? Saves using that clumsy half-moon switch!

Thanks all!! If you need any info let me know!!
gazzeel

Postby Mr. Anxiety » 04 Feb 2011, 01:54

Gazzeel,

Nice work..... It would be great if you could document the mod you performed so others could do the same.

Thanks in adavance for it.

Mr A
Last edited by Mr. Anxiety on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Anxiety

Postby Johannes » 04 Feb 2011, 17:12

+1!!
Yo you managed to get the Hammond pedal to work with the C1? Did you solder two Jack connectors to the Pedal or do I missing something?
Anyway would be great if you could give some details on how you did it!!
kudos! Johannes
Last edited by Johannes on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby gazzeel » 06 Feb 2011, 20:34

Honestly I can't believe It works!!!!! I used it this morning in Church and it works like a dream! It's exactly the same as my other Hammond B200 in the club.

I'm SO HAPPY!!!!!! My Drummer (the mastermind) kept saying "if only you told me about the NORD's toggle switch in the firstplace 2 years ago we could have modified it then"!

OK I'll ask him tonight for the full specification on how he did it ..... better him telling you than me.

But the basic set-up is this. The Jack goes into the NORD Rotary socket and connects to a little black box, the box has a DIN socket which takes the plug from the B200 pedal (or any other Hammond Pedal such as the one you pictured) the little box is also attached to a 12v power supply that has the variable voltage setting, we got it set at I think 4volts which gives the best swell range for volume. The Hammond Pedal has a light bulb 'thing' inside which controls the volume and that's why you need the power supply. BUT! also he has attached two other Jacks to the inside of the Pedal, one goes into the Power Amp and the other into the mixer which means I control the Volume for ALL my stacked Keyboards from the ONE pedal! It sounds Fantastic!!!

Ill ask him tonight and see if he'll part with his secret HAHA

Gary
gazzeel

Postby BravoJr » 07 Nov 2011, 21:45

Please share how you did this!

I have a tech- savvy drummer too and a Hammond pedal sitting around.

can you try to explain it a bit clearer? So you need to power the external box?

Thanks!
Last edited by BravoJr on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Nord C2, NE 3, Rhodes Mk V, Memotron, Moog Slim Phatty, Moog Little Phatty, MicroKorg XL, Hammond XK3C, Hammond M3, Leslies 860/760, Fender Deluxe Reverb.
BravoJr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Mr. Anxiety » 22 Mar 2012, 18:30

Are you gonna share the info for modding the hammond pedal to work with the Nord. Would appreciate it!

Mr A
Last edited by Mr. Anxiety on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Anxiety

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum