Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Ocean Beach Drawbars on Electro 5 for B3 kb split?

Postby Tracii » 25 Nov 2021, 11:36

Again, no luck. I've tried every MIDI channel assignment I could think of, but the only way it works is when the db-1 sends on the Electro's Global channel - and then there is no way of assigning it to one Part and that Part only.

I'm going to write to Nord about this, maybe there is something else to consider. :)
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Sponsor

Postby Tracii » 25 Nov 2021, 15:40

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Clavia Support wrote:Hi Fabian,

I’m afraid that it’s not possible to achieve what you’re looking for, since CC data is only sent and listened to on the global MIDI channel. The only potential “workaround” I can think of is to also send the CC for changing between Preset 1 & 2 before changing drawbar settings, but that might not be suitable in your case…

Let us know if there is anything else, and hope you can find a setup that works for you!

Best regards,

So, no direct way to do this. I'll see into the workaround suggested - any ideas?
Tracii

Postby maxpiano » 25 Nov 2021, 16:33

Uhm... I would challenge them then on what is actually listened to on the Lower Receive channel then, just Notes?

Quite a limited implementation, if that's the case and not in line with what manual states about "CHANNEL LOWER RECEIVE determines the MIdI channel which Part lower responds to"., which is what made me think that the whole lower part can be controlled, not just notes :|
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 Nov 2021, 16:38, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby vcfvca » 30 Nov 2021, 20:21

The Electro 4 was the last model 2 support 2 sets of drawbars. The Upper Manual uses CCs 16-24 and the Lower set 70-78. Why Nord chamged it for the E5 and E6 I don't know as it is now impossible to control the Lower drawbars as both manuals use CCs 16-24. They don't even respond to separate MIDI Channels -at least that would work. I have a Crumar/GSi D9U and it will not control the lower manual on my NE6D even when set on Channel 2. I'm sure it was the same on my old NE5. Crazy. I am actually considering swapping my NE6D for a NE4D because the MIDI implementation for organ is so much better.

[EDIT] Still if you just want have preset 1 and 2 on separate drawbars that will work - just got to remember to hit the upper/lower button.
Last edited by vcfvca on 30 Nov 2021, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.

The author vcfvca was thanked by:
Tracii
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Tracii » 01 Dec 2021, 13:08

vcfvca wrote:The Electro 4 was the last model 2 support 2 sets of drawbars. The Upper Manual uses CCs 16-24 and the Lower set 70-78. Why Nord chamged it for the E5 and E6 I don't know as it is now impossible to control the Lower drawbars as both manuals use CCs 16-24. They don't even respond to separate MIDI Channels -at least that would work. I have a Crumar/GSi D9U and it will not control the lower manual on my NE6D even when set on Channel 2. I'm sure it was the same on my old NE5. Crazy. I am actually considering swapping my NE6D for a NE4D because the MIDI implementation for organ is so much better.

[EDIT] Still if you just want have preset 1 and 2 on separate drawbars that will work - just got to remember to hit the upper/lower button.

The C1/C2 organs also use CCs 16-24 for a set of drawbars on both manuals, but you can address them on their separate MIDI channels. So yeah, It's the combination of collapsing both sets of drawbars into one set of CCs and only listening to them on one (the global) channel - it's almost as if they did it on purpose, just so maddeningly and unnecessarily limiting. ;)

Unfortunately, going back to an Electro 4 or lower is not an option as they're monotimbral.
Tracii

Postby anotherscott » 01 Dec 2021, 18:44

Tracii wrote:Unfortunately, going back to an Electro 4 or lower is not an option as they're monotimbral.
If you really want this capability, I wonder if maybe some/all of the Nord Stage series can do what you need? Or if you'd have to look at a non-Nord?
anotherscott

Postby Tracii » 02 Dec 2021, 10:34

A Stage would definitely be overkill for me - both musically and financially. ;) I have yet to run into a situation where the Electro 5 does not suffice. I'm simply spoiled by my Viscount Legend Solo which has a separate set of drawbars for each section... oh well, fwp.
Tracii

Postby anotherscott » 02 Dec 2021, 15:41

Tracii wrote:A Stage would definitely be overkill for me - both musically and financially. ;)

I was thinking that maybe an older Stage might not cost too much more than what you could get for your E5, and could possibly suffice despite the older Stage models also lagging the E5 in some ways. But it is indeed surprising that the E5 can't do this. It's also surprising that I don't think this E5 limitation has ever come up here before!
anotherscott

Postby RobHPG » 01 Mar 2023, 10:15

I have my favourite drawbars settings stored in programs on my Electro 6d. I would like to use the Preset button to swap drawbars settings for the lower manual (of left hand sound), while keeping the physical drawbars available for modifying the upper manual (or right hand sound). I can't get this to work. It seems like the Preset button only affects the part that is currently controlled by the physical drawbars, which is not what I want.

Is there a way to modify right hand sound with the physical drawbars while swapping left hand drawbar settings by touching the Preset button?
RobHPG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 01 Mar 2023, 10:53

RobHPG wrote:I have my favourite drawbars settings stored in programs on my Electro 6d. I would like to use the Preset button to swap drawbars settings for the lower manual (of left hand sound), while keeping the physical drawbars available for modifying the upper manual (or right hand sound). I can't get this to work. It seems like the Preset button only affects the part that is currently controlled by the physical drawbars, which is not what I want.

Is there a way to modify right hand sound with the physical drawbars while swapping left hand drawbar settings by touching the Preset button?

No, as you wrote all the panel controls affect only the currently selected manual.

If you where using an external keyboard for the lower manual (Ext. KBd To Lo) instead, you could do it by sending the Organ Preset MIDI CC #15 from that keyboard.
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Mar 2023, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum