Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby tsss27 » 14 Nov 2020, 19:36

Good answers guys! :) Nice thinking with morphing drive and volume together to compensate.

It does seem strange to me that the eq would come first only because based on the clips I've heard, the drive is pretty bright, there is no amp simulation like on the NS3 which can really help smooth out the drive and give it more colors. So with the eq after the drive you could soften the high frequencies. However, I suppose you could still do this by turning the delay into a filter only, setting the time to minimum and mix to 100% wet, probably with analog mode on. You wouldn't have a delay then of course, but at least in my case I prefer a pedal for delay anyway. Could be worth a try for dialing in more types of drive response!
tsss27
 
Posts: 165
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 07:38
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)


Sponsor
 

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby DJKeys » 14 Nov 2020, 19:43

tsss27 wrote:Good answers guys! :) Nice thinking with morphing drive and volume together to compensate.

It does seem strange to me that the eq would come first only because based on the clips I've heard, the drive is pretty bright, there is no amp simulation like on the NS3 which can really help smooth out the drive and give it more colors. So with the eq after the drive you could soften the high frequencies. However, I suppose you could still do this by turning the delay into a filter only, setting the time to minimum and mix to 100% wet, probably with analog mode on. You wouldn't have a delay then of course, but at least in my case I prefer a pedal for delay anyway. Could be worth a try for dialing in more types of drive response!


As I mentioned before, the Drive feature really too frequency-dependent for my taste. On the NS3, the drive seems to affect the overall sound much more. On the NW2, you have to use the drive and EQ in combination to dial in the sound you want.

I would like to see a firmware update that improves the drive feature so that it affects all frequencies more equally, as "quick and dirty" would be, well, just that! :D



-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 14 Nov 2020, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 11.6
Studio One 5.3
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 638 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby zahush76 » 16 Nov 2020, 13:20

DJKeys wrote:As I mentioned before, the Drive feature really too frequency-dependent for my taste. On the NS3, the drive seems to affect the overall sound much more. On the NW2, you have to use the drive and EQ in combination to dial in the sound you want.

I would like to see a firmware update that improves the drive feature so that it affects all frequencies more equally, as "quick and dirty" would be, well, just that! :D



-dj

Also, and correct me if i'm hearing wrong - it seems like the filter drive is not as intense as on the Nord Stage 3. But i'm on OS 1.02. Perhaps this is something they changed with OS 1.2 ?
zahush76
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 06:43
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby varignet » 08 Oct 2021, 14:40

S h a w wrote:
CountFosco wrote:
Monkator wrote:Got my Nord Wave 2 with OS 0.84 and the old panel print today. Version 1.0 has a new panel print. I'm now considering whether to return the synth and order a new one because of its already outdated look.
My question is now: Can this cause problems in case of resale?


To me, it seems reasonable to return the unit, using the argument that it is faulty. The buttons don't do what they say.


Mine also arrived with 0.84 and the first run print. I don't mind at all... #EarlyAdopterBadge


I'm intrigued, what is the difference in look between the old and new panel prints?
Could you kindly point me to a picture?

Thanks!
varignet
 
Posts: 190
Joined: 29 Sep 2016, 23:08
Country: Great Britain
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby DJKeys » 08 Oct 2021, 16:57

The phaser effect is not labeled. When the RM and Chorus LEDs are both lit, then the phaser is active. The newer hardware has the word "Phase" above it. In my opinion, it would have no effect at all on resale value, and also does not affect the operation of the instrument in any way.

-dj

phase.jpg
phase.jpg (5.97 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Last edited by DJKeys on 08 Oct 2021, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 11.6
Studio One 5.3
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
varignet
User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 638 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby varignet » 10 Oct 2021, 23:19

DJKeys wrote:The phaser effect is not labeled. When the RM and Chorus LEDs are both lit, then the phaser is active. The newer hardware has the word "Phase" above it. In my opinion, it would have no effect at all on resale value, and also does not affect the operation of the instrument in any way.

-dj

phase.jpg


Thanks, so hw-wise it's just cosmetic, as the fw can be updated to the latest version, right?

coincidentially I found somebody selling one here in the uk and he indeed has the old panel on his.

I'm a light nord lead a1 user and was wondering if they're relatively similar in terms of programming sounds.
Truth is I hate the nla1 keybed but I can't justify the trouble of selling it and paying a fair difference to upgrade,for the keybed alone, being a light user.
varignet
 
Posts: 190
Joined: 29 Sep 2016, 23:08
Country: Great Britain
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby DJKeys » 11 Oct 2021, 00:00

varignet wrote:
DJKeys wrote:The phaser effect is not labeled. When the RM and Chorus LEDs are both lit, then the phaser is active. The newer hardware has the word "Phase" above it. In my opinion, it would have no effect at all on resale value, and also does not affect the operation of the instrument in any way.

-dj

phase.jpg


Thanks, so hw-wise it's just cosmetic, as the fw can be updated to the latest version, right?

coincidentially I found somebody selling one here in the uk and he indeed has the old panel on his.

I'm a light nord lead a1 user and was wondering if they're relatively similar in terms of programming sounds.
Truth is I hate the nla1 keybed but I can't justify the trouble of selling it and paying a fair difference to upgrade,for the keybed alone, being a light user.


Yes, the FW version can be upgraded, I have the older panel on mine.

It's a similar engine, but the NW2 plays samples, the A1 does not. It is a similar Nord VA engine with a much better keybed and more varied waveforms for programming.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 11.6
Studio One 5.3
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
varignet
User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 638 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby skylerocean » 05 Nov 2021, 07:21

We missed the anniversary of the last NW2 update! 10/27/2020. Happy belated anniversary :roll: :facepalm:

Nord Wave 2
Nord Stage Classic
skylerocean
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 21 May 2020, 02:35
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby DJKeys » 05 Nov 2021, 16:26

Yep, it is amazing. A year without a single update. I don't know of another Nord instrument that has been neglected like this one, very disappointing!

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 11.6
Studio One 5.3
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 638 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: NEW Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby nemydom » 24 Nov 2021, 09:36

Hello, is it possible to switch voltage of NW2 from US 110v to 220-240V? I would really appreciate if someone could check. I know that it’s possible for the most of older Nords, but for some reason couldn’t find any info regarding NW2. Many thanks
nemydom
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 08:37
Country: New Zealand
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Previous

Return to Nord Wave Forum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests