Recording automation with stage 3 controllers

Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.
abnerrobles
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Recording automation with stage 3 controllers

Post by abnerrobles »

(Stage 3) Is there a way to record automation over recorded tracks?

I want to create shoegazy electronic music where it’s about the effects specifically in the synth section (lfo, freq, osc, etc) over a chord progression. I’m using ableton and I’m using a Scarlett 2i2 interface. My question is if I record a chord progression, can I go back and use the control knobs in the synth section of my stage 3 and record automation over that progression ?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Re: Recording automation with stage 3 controllers

Post by maxpiano »

Hi, yes of course, provided you have recorded the chords/notes as MIDI and enabled the NS3 to send&receive its CCs via MIDI (in the MIDI menu), you can overdub their value changes on the chords/notes MIDI track (or on a different track but always having the NS3 as MIDI IN/OUT) .
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Nov 2021, 12:23, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
abnerrobles
CountFosco
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by CountFosco »

Yes, recording as MIDI is the key. I know nothing beats live knob twiddling, but in Ableton you also have some pretty neat post processing abilities with automation. You can enter envelopes with your own custom values, insert long LFOey type shapes like sine, triangle etc (just select a region, click on insert shape, and the automation envelope stretches to that length), or freehand draw your envelopes. You can also rerecord just automation from your keyboard (or any controller) like Max describes. You could do that using Stage effects, or you have a wide range of effects available in Ableton. Also, for me, a lot of the types of effects you're describing sometimes sound better not when applied to the chord progression itself, but to a sustained oscillator playing in the background. If you use the hold function (or an appeggiator/sequencer pattern) you're free to record yourself twiddling knobs to your heart's content. Then you can cut and rearrange at will. As a fellow shoe gazy electronic muso, here's an example of pretty much exactly that. (warnings: 1 self promotion, 2. many A1 knobs were harmed in the making)
These users thanked the author CountFosco for the post:
abnerrobles
abnerrobles

Post by abnerrobles »

What settings do I need on my keyboard and/or DAW in order to re-record just automation from the control knobs of the Nord?
abnerrobles

Post by abnerrobles »

maxpiano wrote:Hi, yes of course, provided you have recorded the chords/notes as MIDI and enabled the NS3 to send&receive its CCs via MIDI (in the MIDI menu), you can overdub their value changes on the chords/notes MIDI track (or on a different track but always having the NS3 as MIDI IN/OUT) .
What settings do I need on my keyboard and/or DAW in order to re-record just automation from the control knobs of the Nord?
abnerrobles

Post by abnerrobles »

CountFosco wrote:Yes, recording as MIDI is the key. I know nothing beats live knob twiddling, but in Ableton you also have some pretty neat post processing abilities with automation. You can enter envelopes with your own custom values, insert long LFOey type shapes like sine, triangle etc (just select a region, click on insert shape, and the automation envelope stretches to that length), or freehand draw your envelopes. You can also rerecord just automation from your keyboard (or any controller) like Max describes. You could do that using Stage effects, or you have a wide range of effects available in Ableton. Also, for me, a lot of the types of effects you're describing sometimes sound better not when applied to the chord progression itself, but to a sustained oscillator playing in the background. If you use the hold function (or an appeggiator/sequencer pattern) you're free to record yourself twiddling knobs to your heart's content. Then you can cut and rearrange at will. As a fellow shoe gazy electronic muso, here's an example of pretty much exactly that. (warnings: 1 self promotion, 2. many A1 knobs were harmed in the making)
Thank you! Could you explain how I can use the Stage effects from my keyboard or any midi controller?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

abnerrobles wrote:
maxpiano wrote:Hi, yes of course, provided you have recorded the chords/notes as MIDI and enabled the NS3 to send&receive its CCs via MIDI (in the MIDI menu), you can overdub their value changes on the chords/notes MIDI track (or on a different track but always having the NS3 as MIDI IN/OUT) .
Here's how I would do it
(Note: not knowing which DAW you have I can only be generic on that part)

Step 0 - Prerequisites:
1. set MIDI Global Channel on NS3 to 1 (or any number you like, let's assume 1)
2. verify in the MIDI Menu that Control Change Mode is set to Send&Rcv

Step 1 - Records Notes:
1. create a MIDI track "A" in the DAW having the NS3 on Ch1 as input but no output (to avoid MIDI looping) and set it for Recording
2. record your chord/notes part on that track

Step 2 - Record Controls:
1. create a new MIDI track "B" having the NS3 as input but no output (to avoid MIDI Loop) and set it for Recording
2. modify the chord/notes track "A" so that it has no input and outputs to NS3 on Ch1 and set it for Playback
3. start recording, the notes/chords of track "A" will be played back to the NS3 and you can play with the NS3 controls that will be recorded on track "B"

Step 3 - Rehearse (notes+controls)
1. set also MIDI track "B" to no input and outputs to NS3 on Ch1 and set it for Playback
2. playback track A & B together
Last edited by maxpiano on 18 Nov 2021, 09:34, edited 4 times in total.