nord->powered speaker... do I need mixing board?

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
playsabadguitar
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

nord->powered speaker... do I need mixing board?

Post by playsabadguitar »

Just got a QSC k12.2 2000w 12 inch powered speaker to amplify my nord electro 6d. This is just for practicing at home. I went a little big because I really want to hear those awesome acoustic piano tones. I was planning to just go straight into the speaker, but someone told me that I will need a mixing board. They couldn't really explain why though.

Is there any advantage to a mixing board in a simple keyboard to single powered speaker set up?
Nord Electro 6D-->Soundcraft 12fx mixing board-->QSC 12.2 powered speaker
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: nord->powered speaker... do I need mixing board?

Post by DJKeys »

Hi-

You probably won't need a mixer for the use case you describe; practicing at home you don't need a lot of volume. A mixer is usually needed in a live band when you need more volume, as the power amp in the K12.2 really needs a hotter signal that is put our by your Electro. Mixers have preamps designed to drive a powered speaker so you can take advantage of the full power of your K12.2-

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 14 Nov 2021, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author DJKeys for the post:
playsabadguitar

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
JayDee
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by JayDee »

Depending on the mixer, you'd likely have more EQ options. Not a huge extra expense
These users thanked the author JayDee for the post:
playsabadguitar
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by Rusty Mike »

In your scenario the mixer would help a bit with your gain management and EQ control (if the mixer is equipped with EQ). It's nice to have but not required by any means for what you are doing.

I would recommend that you use two audio cables from both the left and right out of your Electro to inputs A and B of the speaker. You'll get the fuller spectrum of range from the instrument that way. It will work okay with one cable, but I have found personally that two make the overall sound better.
These users thanked the author Rusty Mike for the post:
playsabadguitar
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
playsabadguitar
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by playsabadguitar »

So I went ahead and bought a mixing board, sound craft notepad 12fx mixer with effects and usb(link below). The speaker arrives first, so I will use it with and without and report back. Perhaps this thread will be useful to someone one day.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ts-and-usb
Nord Electro 6D-->Soundcraft 12fx mixing board-->QSC 12.2 powered speaker
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

The other approach -- somewhat frowned upon -- is to use the "mic" setting on the PA inputs. It is now PLENTY HOT, perhaps too much so. Seriously, you can overdrive the PA unit, not damaging it, but definitely triggering limiters and similar.

The reason it's frowned upon is that if you forget it's on a "mic" setting, and plug something else in, it's gonna be hella loud. I can't verify this, but it also subtly shapes the sound in the process, so sounds a bit better to my ears if you drive it with a small mixer.
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post:
playsabadguitar
I think I have gear issues ....
wtibbit
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by wtibbit »

Your instrument will sound much better in stereo. I'd spend the money on another powered speaker rather than a mixer. You might also consider returning the 12.2 for a 10.2 or even an 8.2, if possible. Both are nearly as loud and will handle anything other than the lowest bass note frequencies. They also have wider dispersal - the 8.2 especially - and would probably sound more evenly spread out in a home situation.
These users thanked the author wtibbit for the post:
playsabadguitar
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

The counterpoint to the "sounds better in stereo" would be using one of the column array speakers (Bose L1 Model 1S or better, not the Compact). They radiate sound 180 degrees and throw a good distance. Yes, you're playing in mono, but it's a wonderful mono.
I think I have gear issues ....