Nord Stage future

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
lukeduke

Nord Stage future

Post by lukeduke »

Hi,
sorry if you have already discussed about this topic previously.
The simple question is this: does it make sense at the end of 2021 to buy a Nord Stage 3 or is it better to wait for an EX / 4 later version?
Playing for me is not a job but just a hobby.
Thanks

Luca
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Stage future

Post by maxpiano »

Hi, yes this has been discussed many many times... as for any other brand and model, companies do not disclose new products on public unofficial forums (as NUF is).

If NS3 is OK for you right now just get it, no one can tell if/what/when will be next... of course if instead you are not in a hurry, you may wait till NAMM 2022 or other events, but again expect to find no assurance or reliable anticipation of what may (or may not) be announced then here.
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Nov 2021, 18:15, edited 8 times in total.
stringtapper
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by stringtapper »

Another consideration is the ongoing supply chain debacle, which is making it hard for some units to even be available, depending on where you live.

We just purchased an Electro 6D from Sam Ash here in the US, and it was literally one of two units left in any of their inventories in the US, and they had no indication as to when or if they would ever get more.

So in many ways now is the time to buy *anything* tech related because there’s no guarantee of availability in the short term.
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

If it makes you feel any better, there are more than a few people here like myself who bought one early on, and have just recently purchased another. Even though we all know it won't be long before there is something newer and incrementally better.

We find plenty to like in the current version :)
I think I have gear issues ....
NoDirection
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by NoDirection »

Remember that the EX version (that I expect will be the next release) is often just a memory upgrade. I have still lots of fun with my 6 years old Nord Stage 2, so buy the Stage 3 now if you want it.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

[quote="lukeduke"
The simple question is this: does it make sense at the end of 2021 to buy a Nord Stage 3 or is it better to wait for an EX / 4 later version?
[/quote]

Hi Luca,

that's probably the most asked questions here and there is no definite answer to that.

If you are missing something from the Stage 3 which is really essential you might wait for the next version, but you never know when it will be released (how long you would have to wait) and nobody can tell you if the next version includes what you are missing. My view is that you should buy the Nord Stage 3 if it suits your needs today, if not look for another instrument which does it better. If there is no other one which is better than the Stage 3 for you TODAY then still go and buy the Stage 3 if you really need it now (if you don't really need it you can wait, but you might end up waiting forever until the ideal instrument is released ....)

If Clavia releases the next version of the Stage in the future which is better for you then sell the Stage 3 and buy the newest version, Nords hold their value very well and you will very likely get a good price for the Stage 3 then.
Last edited by Schorsch on 03 Nov 2021, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by ericL »

This has been discussed a lot in other threads and folks expecting that this is a Nord forum where a Nord representative will answer such questions. The closest we ever had to a Nord rep here was Pablo M, who was a service rep of Nord's US operations until a few years ago. To my knowledge, if Pablo had a successor, they never joined the forum and I've never seen any other similar connections on the forum. Regardless, Pablo never had inside info and if he did, he wouldn't share it here.

Zooming further out, even if there is a new instrument in the works to update the NS3 (such as a NS3 EX) or a NS4, such a product will take time to produce and get to market, work out the bugs, etc. even if it was announced today. My thoughts on how to make your decision to buy now vs. wait...

If it's a NS3 EX in the works, it would be the same instrument with incremental updates, such as more memory for pianos and synths, possibly some other very minor things. The current NS3 is very capable and this would be a really small upgrade not really worth waiting.

If it's a NS4 in the works, this type of instrument will be probably revolutionary with a lot of new things...it will take a long time for such a thing to be globally available, particularly with the global supply issues. Once it is available, I would expect a pretty lengthy 6-12 month "break in" of the bugs and lots of OS updates needed, if it follows the NS3 pattern. The NS3 had a LOT of issues in its earliest renditions that were mostly ironed out within the first year or two. I was a happy NS2 user when the NS3 came out and I simply waited until it was a more stable platform. I was perfectly content playing my NS2 during this time, and the fundamental sounds are similar enough that I can happily still use my NS2 when I want.

For me, if a NS4 comes out, I'll happily play my NS3 (and NS2) for quite some time until the next generation is stabilized and also readily available.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
Valpurgis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by Valpurgis »

Don’t think there ever will be a NS3EX as the current memory capacity is not restricting as much as for previous generations. My hope for the NS4 is an enhanced sample player engine and higher quality new sample libraries. The second hand value for Nord stuff is good, don’t worry to buy a NS3 now.
lukeduke

Post by lukeduke »

I bought one of the latest NS3 available in stores. thank you all.
Luca
Last edited by lukeduke on 06 Dec 2021, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Schorsch
Donator

Post by Schorsch »

Ciao Luca,

congratulations to your new NS3, you made a good choice - have fun with it :thumbup:
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..