Advanced ?'s for the Gurus: Stage 3 Midi Implementation

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
mtier0067
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Re: Advanced ?'s for the Gurus: Stage 3 Midi Implementation

Post by mtier0067 »

ericL wrote:
mtier0067 wrote:I did some more digging and looking in the manual to try to sort a few questions... Can anyone tell me if this will work!?!?
"Note that the sounds on Panel B are not accessible from the Stage 3 keyboard while in Dual KB mode" seems to answer this.
This seems to be getting at the fact that you cannot play the sounds from panel b while DualKB when it is set to "panel" instead of per a single instrument. I'm wondering if you can morph the volume of the individual sections of panel B from the mod wheel and control pedals while in "panel" dual KB mode.
FZiegler wrote:As far as DualKB mode is concerned, there are two possibilities: Use one out of the three sound engines from remote and benefit from all Stage 3 controls and pedals (including morphs). Or use full Panel B from remote, but don't have any effect from Stage 3 controls or pedals (need MIDI control commands, even for morphs - haven't checked for drawbars working with Panel B or not).
So you can confirm that with dual kb mode set to "panel", you cannot morph the volume of say, the organ section on panel b from the mod wheel on the NS3 or from the control pedal plugged into the NS3? This was a functionality of the NS2 which made it pretty amazing for my uses... hopefully they didn't regress the midi functionality in the NS3!!
@ Home
'52 Hammond C2 w Trek Perc
'62 Leslie 145 w/ Speed Control
'76 MKI Rhodes Suitcase 73
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
Custom Stage Enclosure/Stand
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

mtier0067 wrote:
ericL wrote:
mtier0067 wrote:I did some more digging and looking in the manual to try to sort a few questions... Can anyone tell me if this will work!?!?
"Note that the sounds on Panel B are not accessible from the Stage 3 keyboard while in Dual KB mode" seems to answer this.
This seems to be getting at the fact that you cannot play the sounds from panel b while DualKB when it is set to "panel" instead of per a single instrument. I'm wondering if you can morph the volume of the individual sections of panel B from the mod wheel and control pedals while in "panel" dual KB mode.
FZiegler wrote:As far as DualKB mode is concerned, there are two possibilities: Use one out of the three sound engines from remote and benefit from all Stage 3 controls and pedals (including morphs). Or use full Panel B from remote, but don't have any effect from Stage 3 controls or pedals (need MIDI control commands, even for morphs - haven't checked for drawbars working with Panel B or not).
So you can confirm that with dual kb mode set to "panel", you cannot morph the volume of say, the organ section on panel b from the mod wheel on the NS3 or from the control pedal plugged into the NS3? This was a functionality of the NS2 which made it pretty amazing for my uses... hopefully they didn't regress the midi functionality in the NS3!!
Some things didn't make it from the NS2 to the NS3, likely tradeoffs to help advance some of the NS3 features. Can you try this out for us and report back how it actually works, versus all of us trying to speculate based on how it seems to be stated in the manual? :) Thanks!
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
mtier0067
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
mtier0067

Post by mtier0067 »

Unfortunately, I don't have a NS3, I only have a NS2 and wondering if I can upgrade to a NS3 and still keep my rig somewhat the same.
@ Home
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

mtier0067 wrote: So you can confirm that with dual kb mode set to "panel", you cannot morph the volume of say, the organ section on panel b from the mod wheel on the NS3 or from the control pedal plugged into the NS3? This was a functionality of the NS2 which made it pretty amazing for my uses... hopefully they didn't regress the midi functionality in the NS3!!
If I remember correctly, also on NS2 when using DualKb all local controls where disabled on panel B, including MW or CtrlPed and their morphs; maybe you mean you can still use NS2's MW/CtrlPed when using the external keyboard on Panel B dedicated MIDI Channel, but not in Dual KB mode/channel.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
mtier0067
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

What exactly, ericL, do you want to know? I wasn't speculating while writing my short post. I play almost everything with DualKB, so it's quite figured out.

And just to confirm: There isn't more in MIDI channels than stated in the manual. Global MIDI (in/out), Panel MIDI (in, haven't tested its functionality yet, but is to come probably next week), DualKB MIDI (in), Extern (out). No individual channels for every sound engine.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
mtier0067
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

FZiegler wrote:What exactly, ericL, do you want to know? I wasn't speculating while writing my short post. I play almost everything with DualKB, so it's quite figured out.

And just to confirm: There isn't more in MIDI channels than stated in the manual. Global MIDI (in/out), Panel MIDI (in, haven't tested its functionality yet, but is to come probably next week), DualKB MIDI (in), Extern (out). No individual channels for every sound engine.
I'm merely trying to help the original poster and so it's not me that wants to know anything. :) We've all been trying to explain it based on what the manual says and the original poster still has questions, so my suggestion was for them to try it and see.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
mtier0067
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
mtier0067

Post by mtier0067 »

ericL wrote: I'm merely trying to help the original poster and so it's not me that wants to know anything. :) We've all been trying to explain it based on what the manual says and the original poster still has questions, so my suggestion was for them to try it and see.
And I seriously appreciate your help here! Thank you thank you thank you! Sorry to be causing some unrest here among ns3 users ://

So the question in response to this is...

Can you set each instrument in the panel b to be not assigned to any zones but still controlled by an external keyboard (i.e it is on but not assigned to any lo/mid/hi zone) and set the midi controller to send on the same midi channel as the ns3 is set to receive for panel b. (This would mean no dual kb mode but still the functionality I'm talking about.)

It seems this part of the manual confirms my belief that we can control the morph functions of each panel b instrument with the mod wheel and control pedal while not having them assigned to any zone on the NS3. Right??

"PaNel MIdI CoNtrol
a second option for controlling parts of the Stage 3 from a external device would be to use its Panel MIdI capabilities, allowing for addressing each panel (a and B) on different MIdI channels. While this functionality is similar to the dual Kb feature, both Panels could in this case be con- trolled “locally” from the Nord Stage 3 keyboard if desired.
to set this up, assign Panel a and B one MIdI channel each within the MIdI menu, accessed by pressing MIDI (Shift + Program 3 button)."
Last edited by mtier0067 on 30 Oct 2021, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
@ Home
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
mtier0067

Post by mtier0067 »

FZiegler wrote:What exactly, ericL, do you want to know? I wasn't speculating while writing my short post. I play almost everything with DualKB, so it's quite figured out.

This totally makes sense. I think the only option that I have to make it work like my ns2 is to use the panel midi mode (no dual kb mode) and assign the instruments in panel b to no zones of the ns3 keybed. I just don't know if that is still an option on the ns3. It was an option on the ns2 but don't know if they have removed that functionality.

Thank you for your help!! truly appreciate it. Danke
@ Home
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

Stage 3 remote control modes (OS 2.54 - I don't have OS 2.6 installed yet): (A) Global MIDI, (B) Panel MIDI and (C) DualKB MIDI mode. While Global and Panel MIDI are just extensions for the handling of the instrument, DualKB mode changes a bit the behaviour of the instrument - it's a per-program feature.

*** (A) Global MIDI
Panel and KB zone settings affect both internal and remote notes played: Both keybeds play the same. Or the same from another perspective: Incoming MIDI commands affect all active panels – according to engines active and KB zone settings; the local keybed acts the same.
Both internal and remote sustain pedal affect the tone – if active for their engine (even crosswise). The same for internal pitch stick or remote pitch control. Don’t activate ‘pedal noise’ if a half damper pedal is used remotely (see below).
Both internal and remote mod wheel and control pedal affect the tone (even crosswise); didn’t test aftertouch. Internal drawbars etc. affect also remotely played tones; didn’t test remote drawbars.
Only in Global MIDI mode, program changes or LSB and MSB commands will be received.

*** (B) Panel MIDI
Both panels can be (globally) attributed their own MIDI channel to receive commands. The internal controls affect the active panels, the remotely triggered panel would play even if it isn’t active (only the panel with the matching MIDI channel). Whether the remotely controlled panel is active or not, all engines play that are switched on. In both cases, the KB zones (splits) are followed (of course, the MIDI controller can also restrict its keyboard range). So, it depends on the panels active if the panel remotely controlled can also be played locally or not. Of course, even both panels can be independently controlled from remote.
Both internal and remote pitch stick work for the sounds played remotely, but the internal sustain pedal only works if the panel concerned is active (locally). Don’t activate ‘pedal noise’ if a half damper pedal is used remotely (see below).
Both internal or remote mod wheel and control pedal affect the respective panel’s sound; didn’t test aftertouch. Internal drawbars etc. and swell pedal also affect remotely played tones; didn’t test remote drawbars.

*** (C) DualKB MIDI mode
DualKB mode is a per-program feature. The respective MIDI channel is globally assigned. Either one Panel B engine (standard: organ, for dual kb organ) or full Panel B can be assigned to remote control. Controls and pedals react differently in those two modes.

* DualKB panel mode
In DualKB panel mode, there is no need to look which panel is active and which isn’t: Panel A is controlled locally, Panel B plays from remote.
Controllers and pedals need to be used from remote for Panel B, the internal ones only affect Panel A sound. This is true for sustain pedal, pitch control and the morphing controls (mod wheel, control pedal and aftertouch). It is not true for organ sound controls like drawbars etc. or organ swell. It’s not true, either, for the synth engine controls.
Again, don’t activate ‘pedal noise’ if a half damper pedal is used remotely (see below).

* DualKB single engine mode
In single engine DualKB mode, only one sound generator is being played from remote – either that it’s used to play a dual manual organ (DualKB organ) or to play piano from an external weighted keybed on the NS3C.
The Panel A and Panel B buttons are used to select which program parts are active for the internal keybed – except for the remote engine that’s always waiting for MIDI commands. The KB zones are used as attributed to the remotely played engine.
The internal sustain pedal will act on all sound engines engaged, even the remote one, a remote sustain pedal will only affect the remote engine. The same applies for the internal and a remote pitch control, as long as it’s active. Here, too, don’t activate ‘pedal noise’ if a half damper pedal is used remotely (see below).
The morph controls (mod wheel, control pedal, probably aftertouch as well) only affect their respective keys: the internal ones act on local keys, the remote ones on the remotely played keys.
Drawbars etc. act for both panels depending on which is in edit mode (flashing). The swell pedal acts on both keyboards.

*** Sustain pedal features
The Nord Stage 3 supports re-grabbing sustain, half dampening and pedal noise only when used with the Nord Triple Pedal. It is the only half dampening (non-switch) pedal that is supported and produces 4 different stages for sustaining amount. Simple switch type pedals don’t support half dampening and pedal noise, but they do support the release-and-grab sustain lowering!
Using a half damper pedal on a remote MIDI keyboard may lead to crazy loud pedal noise sounds when ‘pedal noise’ is active (so does my Yamaha FC-3 or FC-3A) – but they do work even as true half damper pedals if ‘pedal noise’ is not applied. If you don’t want to care about having ‘pedal noise’ switched off, you may use a switch type sustain pedal instead and use the release-and-grab technique that works from remote as well.

Please tell if you seem to have found an error!
Last edited by FZiegler on 31 Oct 2021, 10:20, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post (total 3):
ericL, mtier0067, Elliebell370
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

mtier0067 wrote:I think the only option that I have to make it work like my ns2 is to use the panel midi mode (no dual kb mode) and assign the instruments in panel b to no zones of the ns3 keybed. I just don't know if that is still an option on the ns3. ...
You'll find the answer above: It is doable.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
mtier0067