Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Example Sounds for W2

Postby Magikroom » 20 Oct 2021, 16:06

Hi,

Thought i'd show a few Sounds I've been working on, just to get familiar with the Wave 2...Again. I made a Bank for the Sequential Prophet X and sampled 14 of my Synths and made about 40 Sample Sets, just the Oscillators wide open, so am looking to add them for the W2, though having a tricky time with the software. Anyway, i've put a few on and have used some of the on board Samples and of course, the Analog/FM Oscillators to make these 3 Sounds. Not sure if i'll do a full Bank yet, just in the test phase and evaluating whether to devote 1 or 2 months to it.

The author Magikroom was thanked by:
Marlowes
Magikroom

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Example Sounds for W2

Sponsor

Re: Example Sounds for W2

Postby MarkJames » 20 Oct 2021, 16:20

Very nice! I should do the same with my Streichfett and perhaps my Prophet Rev2 as well.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Magikroom » 20 Oct 2021, 16:38

MarkJames wrote:Very nice! I should do the same with my Streichfett and perhaps my Prophet Rev2 as well.

Yeah, they'd be cool to use. I mainly sampled just raw oscillators, but did some that changed waveshape over time and some which were dual Saws, but they require more attention with the loops. I have messaged Nord to see if they could add support to the Sample Editor to read loop info from the meta data, as the Looping tools in Sample Robot are very good indeed.
Magikroom

Postby MarkJames » 20 Oct 2021, 21:50

Good to know that you like Sample Robot, that’s what I was looking at as well.

How do you find the quality of the samples played on the Wave 2 vs. native? I realize you lose real time tweaking but would it be good enough for live band performance?
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Magikroom » 21 Oct 2021, 12:31

MarkJames wrote:Good to know that you like Sample Robot, that’s what I was looking at as well.

How do you find the quality of the samples played on the Wave 2 vs. native? I realize you lose real time tweaking but would it be good enough for live band performance?

With my own Samples, all I've done is sample the Oscillators, wide open, no filtering or envelopes, but have done some samples that have an lfo looping through and changing the wave shape or using 2 Saws together. This way, they are just building blocks for the Patch and use all the synthesis on the the W2 itself. The first patch in the example though, is just using the the stock samples on the W2, but the next 2 use some of my own Samples, plus the onboard FM and "Analog" waves.

Sample Robot is very good, especially with other formats, such as Yamaha and Sequential, Akai etc but they don't have a Nord Format as it's propitiatory. It would be great if it could be added as it such a far advanced Sample Editor compared to the Nord Sample Editor, which could be good just being able to read the Loop Meta Data that is embedded into WAV files.

I've added 3 multisample sets (I have over 40 of mine) and they are not the best as the Crossfade function of the Sample Editor adds a horrible phasing to it, so when playing multiple notes, the crossfade happens at different places and isn't cool. The other alternative as they are just Oscillators is to do it manually and find the 0 points, but as it's every note over 5 or 6 octaves...well, that's a lot of Samples which I don't have the time to deal with.

I've written to Nord and hopefully they could add the ability to read existing meta data/Loops or improve the Editor a bit.
Magikroom

Postby tsss27 » 23 Oct 2021, 18:17

People have been wanting the ability to read the loop metadata for years now, so I would not expect this to happen now although I agree it would be fantastic. It's surprising, because Nord is all about simplicity and this would certainly simplify sample importation!
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby skylerocean » 24 Oct 2021, 01:00

These sound nice! I saw you mentioned you have a Prophet X as well as the Wave 2 -- can I ask what are the use cases for you for both keyboards?

Nord Wave 2
Nord Stage Classic
skylerocean

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Return to Nord Wave Forum