Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

no Sample Library, Sound Manager, Sound Editor Piano 5

Postby LBHnord+ » 22 Oct 2021, 22:44

I just received the Piano 5 ordered months ago. Beautiful instrument, however It lacks the functionality of my Piano 4. Neither Nord or any of their resellers mentions there is no Sample Library (other than factory loaded samples), Sound Manager or Sound Editor available for the Piano 5. The online manual directs Piano 5 owners to the Nord website to download Sound Manager and Editor yet no compatible version exists. So if you programmed your Piano 4 with sounds from the Sample Library 3.0 and want to duplicate on the Piano 5, its not possible. My Piano 5 sits in my studio and I continue to gig with the Piano 4. Very disappointing.

The author LBHnord+ was thanked by:
Fratsenelli
LBHnord+

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

no Sample Library, Sound Manager, Sound Editor Piano 5

Sponsor

Re: no Sample Library, Sound Manager, Sound Editor Piano 5

Postby maxpiano » 22 Oct 2021, 23:03

Have you tried to use the latest Nord Sound Manager? Even if not advertised as compatible on its page, I guess it it should work as one of the latest release notes I read

"User created .nsmp files can now be converted to .nsmp4 format for use on Nord Piano 5"
Last edited by maxpiano on 22 Oct 2021, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LBHnord+ » 23 Oct 2021, 06:28

Thanks for the advice but I have not tried what you suggest. I really don't want to experiment at this point after the Nord representative told my reseller (Sweetwater) the following. I received this notification today.

"The Nord Piano 5 is only compatible with version 4 samples, i.e. not samples from the 3.0 library. It does support user created 3.0 samples though (created with the Nord Sample Editor). At the moment there is no version 4 content online apart from the factory sample library for the Nord Piano 5, but we will of course make available a larger “Sample Library 4.0” as well, with additional content."

Notice the Nord representative did not mention a release date, not even an estimate, for version 4 content. So simply saying 'Sample Library 4.0" will be made available with no release date is simply talk and useless to me. Had this information been published by Nord, the reviewers or resellers I would have known in advance Piano 5 lacked the functionality of Piano 4. I probably would have waited to purchase the Piano 5 until Nord released all the software. I really expected more from Nord.
LBHnord+

Postby maxpiano » 23 Oct 2021, 08:30

But the v3 is there for you to load and v3 samples converted to v4 will probably be identical (i.e I don't think they will be reprocessed to take advantage of the v4 features but just converted as they are), so nothing really prevents you from using your NP5, there is no actual "lack of functionality" compared to NP4 imo, you can load your NP4 samples into it I mean.
Last edited by maxpiano on 23 Oct 2021, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
TurkeyRobinson
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 23 Oct 2021, 11:53

As you do, maxpiano, I suggested Piano 5 users to try to load older versions of the samples - preferably v2 samples. But I'm no as sure as you are that the NSM actually already converts older samples into NSL4 versions for the Piano 5. The Nord website still states as [New] that NSL2 samples would be converted into NSL3 samples - and that's the only type of conversion I know of for sure.

But of course, it would be highly desirable to get knowledge of what can be done or not so that we can give the right clue to people asking.

EDIT: @LBHnord+ if ever you try to understand what people are telling about using older samples on your NP5, try to differentiate between the capabilities of your NP5 and those of the NSM. A) I would have guessed that NP5 only processes NSL4 samples, so it's interesting enough that you got the info that it would process user generated NSL3 samples, too; B) which doesn't mean that you can't load any other older samples to your NP5 as the Sound Manager software might be able to convert nsmp files into nsmp4 files on the fly - as stated in the update history of the software for August 2021. Give it a try! Unfortunately, there is no clue you can get nsmp3 files from the Library directly converted for NP5. So you might need to take the detour via nsmp files to get the same sounds as on your NP4.
Last edited by FZiegler on 23 Oct 2021, 13:26, edited 4 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby maxpiano » 23 Oct 2021, 14:06

FZiegler wrote:As you do, maxpiano, I suggested Piano 5 users to try to load older versions of the samples - preferably v2 samples. But I'm no as sure as you are that the NSM actually already converts older samples into NSL4 versions for the Piano 5. .

Well the NSM release notes say it should convert v3 to v4 since v 7.60, let me copy them here again (in full):

v7.60 (2021-08-13)
Mac OS app is now notarized by Apple
Fixed bug where conversion to .nsmp3 format did not work as expected for Nord Wave 2
Fixed bug where conversion of multiple .nsmp files could cause application to shut down
User created .nsmp files can now be converted to .nsmp4 format for use on Nord Piano 5
Added support for Mac OS dark mode

and user created could be also v3 now, I may be wrong anyway, but I'd at least try. :-)

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
LBHnord+
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 23 Oct 2021, 17:13

Well, I read the exact same phrases differently: Conversion into .nsmp3 got fixed. Conversion of .nsmp into .nsmp4 made available. No word about conversion from .nsmp3 into .nsmp4 in there. That's why I concluded that you may need a deviation.

Edit: Almost half a year after introduction, it would be nice to have at least a clear plan how it is going on. As I was among those who suggested Round Robin samples for the next generation, I feel a bit jointly responsible for the delay, though. It certainly is a lot of work to get multiple samples per note that play smoothly together.
Last edited by FZiegler on 23 Oct 2021, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
LBHnord+
FZiegler
Donator

Postby LBHnord+ » 23 Oct 2021, 19:18

Thank you maxpiano and FZiegler for your suggestions. Frankly, I'm in no mood at this time, or do I have the patience to experiment on a brand new instrument which just cost me USD3500. If methods to access the Sample Library 3.0 existed I would assume the Nord representative would have provided this information. Thank goodness I didn't sell my Piano 4 and I can continue to use it for live performance using samples from Sample Library 3.0. I'll just need to wait until Nord gets their act together. I hope Nord is not in financial trouble given this fragmented product introduction.
LBHnord+

Postby cgrafx » 24 Oct 2021, 12:40

LBHnord+, I wouldn't make the assumption that the Nord Rep would actually know the technical details of the Sound Manager with respect to the Piano 5. It would take you less than 10 minutes to find out. It will either work or it won't.

If it turns out it doesn't work, I wouldn't be overly concerned as this sort of incomplete tool release is not new for Nord. The NS3 had the same issue of no sample editor when it was released. It will eventually sort itself out.

This is also not a Nord specific issue, as there are plenty of products that get released with incomplete features.

If there is one thing I've learned over the years, NEVER assume a new version of a product will have the same functionality as an older version of said product (That bet will bite you in the ass almost every single time).
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
maxpiano
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby wtibbit » 15 Nov 2021, 06:17

maxpiano wrote:
FZiegler wrote:As you do, maxpiano, I suggested Piano 5 users to try to load older versions of the samples - preferably v2 samples. But I'm no as sure as you are that the NSM actually already converts older samples into NSL4 versions for the Piano 5. .

Well the NSM release notes say it should convert v3 to v4 since v 7.60, let me copy them here again (in full):

v7.60 (2021-08-13)
Mac OS app is now notarized by Apple
Fixed bug where conversion to .nsmp3 format did not work as expected for Nord Wave 2
Fixed bug where conversion of multiple .nsmp files could cause application to shut down
User created .nsmp files can now be converted to .nsmp4 format for use on Nord Piano 5
Added support for Mac OS dark mode

and user created could be also v3 now, I may be wrong anyway, but I'd at least try. :-)

I downloaded a random sample from the Nord Sample Library 3.0 (Almglocken_ST Stereo 3.1.nsmp3) and used the latest version of the Sound Manager (v7.62) to try to move the sample onto my Piano 5 and, hopefully, convert it to .nsmp4 format. It doesn't work. The Sound Manager presented an error dialog telling me that the sample file was the incorrect format for my instrument. Well, I at least tried... :|
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Next

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum