Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Piano 5 73 Arrived

Postby FZiegler » 20 Oct 2021, 10:20

Asking the same question three times in 3 weeks is a bit irritating. post146609.html#p146609

My last answer on that: There wasn't much to improve - the keybed of the Piano 4 was totally OK. No disturbing keybed noise. "Good enough" to play. And after testing both for a moment, I'd say that the Piano 5 is even slightly improved over the Piano 4. Concerning the NP5, I totally agree with this post: post146988.html#p146988 (even if I don't know the AvantGrand from my own experience). I'd never buy a Nord Stage 3 HA-88: The keybed isn't "good enough" for what I expect. The Piano 5 is. But hey - why are there so many Stage 3 HA-88s out there on the stages of the world if I - just a lousy hobbyist - say it's not "good enough": Expectations and demands seem to vary heavily.

If ever you want better answers, you might need to ask other questions. And explain where you come from and what you expect and want it for. In my eyes, the Piano 5 still isn't made for Chopin Nocturnes played at home. Even though it could be done (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lpQjvOBu4).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby wtibbit » 21 Oct 2021, 01:43

sentionaut wrote:
wtibbit wrote:
sentionaut wrote:Congrats on your new purchase, for someone who has not played the Yamaha, how would you describe the action?

Is there much keyed noise?

I think you are asking about the Yamaha's action, rather than the Piano 5's. The Yamaha N3's action's design and construction is effectively the same as you would find in a Yamaha concert grand, such as the CFIIIS, so it should feel similar to the CFIIIS action (which were priced at about $90,000). I'm not a concert pianist, but I've had one play mine and his reaction said it felt like the well maintained Yamaha grands he has played. It certainly feels wonderful to me.

Regarding the N3's action noise, I suspect it sounds the same as an acoustic grand; it's only noticeable when the N3's volume is low or off, which is true of any stage piano I've used, also. At normal playing volumes I've never noticed the sound of the action of my piano or organ; to me its not an issue.

Thanks for the reply, I was actually curious about the P5 not the Yamaha action/noise. But you answered that in your post anyway, so thank you.

I'm also a bit confused about some of the sound samples that are available on the P5, the manual has a few references to Mellotron sounds, yet I have read that the Sample Library 3 is not available on the P5 due to its new sound format. I expect it will be at some stage, but could you confirm what Mellotron sounds are in fact in the Piano 5?

Thank you and congrats on your new purchase.

As shipped, my Piano 5 has only two sounds listed in the Mellotron category, a violin sound and a flute sound.
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby cphollis » 21 Oct 2021, 03:09

The rest of the Mellotron sounds are on Nord's website. Take a look, you will be quite surprised how much is there and can be downloaded. I find them useful both solo and layered with a piano.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby FZiegler » 21 Oct 2021, 07:16

Not yet for the Sample Library 4. But maybe the older samples can be converted via NSM on the fly - I'd try Sample Library 2 first.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum