Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Another Ocean Beach drawbars question (external manual)

Postby dwagar » 18 Oct 2021, 22:08

After reading Ignatius' question on OB Drawbars, it made me wonder. First, let me put it out there that I know zero about MIDI. He has an NE5, I have a 4, so I probably don't have the options he does.

I have an NE4D (that I keep at our rehearsal space) and also an NE2-73 (at home - I use the OB drawbars with it). I have tried connecting them together to use the E2 as an external lower manual, but hated that I had to push the split buttons to adjust the lower manual, then push them again to get back to the upper. So I don't use it. But I would really like to, I think the E2 is great as a lower manual.

I assume this won't work, but, then again, I don't know how MIDI works.

Ocean Beach has a schematic to use two of their drawbars with 2 different keyboards, but I want to use the existing drawbars on the E4D and the OB drawbars on the E2. I do still want the 2 boards connected to use the sound engine, expression pedal, etc of the E4D. Also, I run it through an original ventilator. I don't use the Leslie or amps or overdrive on the E4D. Basically, I'd like to have a C2D but I can't afford one.

I'm wondering if there is a way to make use of the In-Out Main and In-Out Aux on the OB drawbars that would make this possible? Or because everything is being driven by the E4D maybe it won't work?

Thanks.
Last edited by dwagar on 18 Oct 2021, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
dwagar

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Another Ocean Beach drawbars question (external manual)

Sponsor

Re: Another Ocean Beach drawbars question (external manual)

Postby ericL » 18 Oct 2021, 22:24

In skimming the DB-1 manual, you can use it to control the lower manual of the NE4, so the internal NE4 drawbars could be your NE4 upper manual, while the DB-1 drawbars do the lower manual. Less clear to me, though it appears feasible, is having the NE2 serving also as the controller for the NE4 lower manual. Per the DB-1 manual, the aux MIDI in will merge signals with the drawbar unit. It seems you should be able to plug in your NE2 here and have both it AND the DB-1 controlling your NE4 lower manual. There may be some more complexities in how you set up the channels and such, though I think once configured, it would work.

I hope it works!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
dwagar
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Another Ocean Beach drawbars question (external manual)

Postby dwagar » 02 Nov 2021, 18:57

Thanks Eric, once I figured out what the manual was telling me to do, it does work great. The DB1 has a dip switch to tell it that it's a lower manual, and requires a quick learn mode to set it.

E4D midi to Main on the DB1. E2 midi out to Aux in. Doesn't need a battery.

I really prefer having a separate set of drawbars for the lower manual.
Last edited by dwagar on 05 Mar 2022, 02:03, edited 2 times in total.
dwagar

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Return to Nord Electro Forum