This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: New Nord Sample Library?

Postby Projet Xion » 08 Jul 2021, 22:37

The Nord piano 5 is the first of a new generation of Nord instruments. It gets new (especially) samples features that other Nord don't have.

I guess it will be the first to be compatible with Nord sample library 4.0. It makes sense to me.
Last edited by Projet Xion on 10 Jul 2021, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Sponsor

Postby DJKeys » 11 Jul 2021, 18:34

Hlaalu wrote:
DJKeys wrote:Just finished reading that, but I cannot imagine they will go forward with only one instrument supporting the new format. The original leaked URL claimed support as well for the present NSMP 3 instruments, but we will see.

-dj

I agree, I think the reason why they only stated the Piano 5 is because, as for now, that is the only one whose OS currently supports it, all the other instruments needing an update, an update that might come soon or it might come in several months... So, for now, it makes sense to only mention the P5.

I hope it is not several months. It has been 9 months already since the last NW2 update.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 11 Jul 2021, 19:06

DJKeys wrote:Just finished reading that, but I cannot imagine they will go forward with only one instrument supporting the new format. The original leaked URL claimed support as well for the present NSMP 3 instruments, but we will see.

-dj

I agree. Without my Stage 3 connected, I chose the default format of NSMP4 and it offered no enhanced capabilities such as supporting round robin functionality. Hopefully the latest V4 will shed a little more light on capabilities.

Update
- I checked out the new Sample Editor version 4: With a default format of NSMP4 I loaded six wavs over the entire keyboard supporting the round-robin functionality (I stopped at six). As we don't have limitless memory, the good news is that multiple wavs can be applied to specific notes for round robin while others can use a single wav in the same sample file to save space.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 12 Jul 2021, 15:52, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
FZiegler
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby StrangeAeons » 14 Oct 2021, 19:28

Just a little update: the main page is still password-protected, but all of its subdirectories are not. Take any 3.0 Library link, swap the three in for a four and voilà: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... y-40/synth . Piano 5 owners should definitely download any sound they miss from the old library before they lock these webpages down too!

It seems like Clavia's halfway through with the work: most of the synths and part of the orchestral sounds are ready. Guitars haven't even been uploaded yet, the Mellotron collection only consists of two sounds for now, whilst many bass, string, organ and keyboard samples haven't been updated yet. Frankly speaking, since it's a huge work, it would be a feat in its own right if they managed to keep things on schedule (they announced the new sample library for the Piano 5 would be ready around Autumn).

Still, I really can't see how some patches can benefit from the new format (and the increased weight, some samples are literally twice as heavy as the current one), especially synths (from the sound demoes, it doesn't look like they re-recorded any synth or acoustic instrument, nor added anything related to round-robin effects). Incidentally, I hope they'll use the opportunity to revamp some forgotten but quite useful sounds, like the RMI and Planet pianos (no other keyboard on the market features those sounds) or the old hidden synths collection page.

The author StrangeAeons was thanked by 2 members, including:
FZieglerdeenigewouter
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

Postby CountFosco » 14 Oct 2021, 19:46

StrangeAeons wrote:Guitars haven't even been uploaded yet

I hope they get their A's into G and upload those guitar samples by the twentieth of November two thousand and never.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby tsss27 » 25 Nov 2021, 03:06

I've been trying to compare these sounds based on the audio demos, and while many are larger, they seem to play exactly the same based on the example audio clips. There are some samples uploaded which I do not recognize from the 3.0 library though. It's strange, because the Piano 5 has the 4.0 samples in it (including those guitars,) so I'm not sure what is taking so long. Maybe they are trying to hold off until their other current products have updates to support the new format...
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby analogika » 25 Nov 2021, 11:49

I suppose the only machines that support the new format have the files in their factory restore downloads.

There is no point to making them available separately until the other machines‘ software has been updated to support them.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Avantasian » 27 Jan 2022, 09:25

StrangeAeons wrote:Just a little update: the main page is still password-protected, but all of its subdirectories are not. Take any 3.0 Library link, swap the three in for a four and voilà: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... y-40/synth . Piano 5 owners should definitely download any sound they miss from the old library before they lock these webpages down too!

It seems like Clavia's halfway through with the work: most of the synths and part of the orchestral sounds are ready. Guitars haven't even been uploaded yet, the Mellotron collection only consists of two sounds for now, whilst many bass, string, organ and keyboard samples haven't been updated yet. Frankly speaking, since it's a huge work, it would be a feat in its own right if they managed to keep things on schedule (they announced the new sample library for the Piano 5 would be ready around Autumn).

Still, I really can't see how some patches can benefit from the new format (and the increased weight, some samples are literally twice as heavy as the current one), especially synths (from the sound demoes, it doesn't look like they re-recorded any synth or acoustic instrument, nor added anything related to round-robin effects). Incidentally, I hope they'll use the opportunity to revamp some forgotten but quite useful sounds, like the RMI and Planet pianos (no other keyboard on the market features those sounds) or the old hidden synths collection page.

@StrangeAeons Can you point me to this "old hidden synth collection page" you wrote about? And did you mean the PH Pianet Pianos? Thanks in advance!
Avantasian

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Schorsch » 27 Jan 2022, 10:16

Hi Avantasian,

I think he refers to this page: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-archive/synthesizers/oberheim-ob-8

That's the Oberheim samples, but on the left you can chose other synthesizer samples as well
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Avantasian
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby StrangeAeons » 31 Jan 2022, 12:45

Avantasian wrote:
StrangeAeons wrote:Just a little update: the main page is still password-protected, but all of its subdirectories are not. Take any 3.0 Library link, swap the three in for a four and voilà: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... y-40/synth . Piano 5 owners should definitely download any sound they miss from the old library before they lock these webpages down too!

@StrangeAeons Can you point me to this "old hidden synth collection page" you wrote about? And did you mean the PH Pianet Pianos? Thanks in advance!

Looks like Schorsch already provided you with the link! Concerning the Pianet, yes, there's an old but pretty good sample for that, too: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... r-pianet-n . Another couple sounds are featured here, alongside other classic keyboards: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... /ph-pianos .

The author StrangeAeons was thanked by:
Avantasian
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum