General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Swell through external keyboard

Postby FutureBanana » 11 Oct 2021, 22:03

I normally have my Stage 3 Compact control pedal function set to "Control+Swell". Works great. However, when I use an external keyboard as a controller (a Studiologic SL88), with my expression pedal plugged into the SL, the Nord only uses that pedal for Control, not Control *and* Swell.

I assumed the Stage would just take the MIDI CC 11 data and pass it to both Control and Swell, but that appears not to be the case. Can't seem to find a switch to flip in the manual, or a separate MIDI CC for organ swell. Perhaps it's not possible without a directly connected expression pedal?

None of this is a dealbreaker, but would make my studio setup slightly simpler. Any insight greatly appreciated!
FutureBanana

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Swell through external keyboard

Sponsor

Re: Swell through external keyboard

Postby maxpiano » 11 Oct 2021, 23:02

Swell Pedal should be CC#4 (at least so it was on NS2, on NS3 manual it is strangely omitted, however if you want to be sure check with a MIDI Monitor what NS3 sends when you use the control pedal directly connected to it) so you need to configure the SL to send both CC11 and CC4 if you want to get the same behavior.
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Oct 2021, 23:15, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
FutureBanana
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Re: Swell through external keyboard

Postby FutureBanana » 12 Oct 2021, 02:10

Works great, thanks! I had tried a bunch of different CC #s after not being able to find it in the manual, but never 4. Got it working with two layers sending two different CC #s.

The author FutureBanana was thanked by:
FZiegler
FutureBanana

Return to Nord Stage Forum