General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Three or more synth sounds at once?

Postby reggoboy » 10 Oct 2021, 16:42

FZiegler wrote:
reggoboy wrote:So I load the first sample into slot A, the second sample into slot B. Then how do I “sample” the combined sound into a single, new sample?

Producing a new sample means playing every [second|third] note with the desired sound at an approximately same velocity level and directing it into the Nord Sample Editor 4 software on your computer....

Thanks very much.

Yea, I'm really not trying to reinvent the wheel and start completely from scratch here. I'm really just trying to make music, and I'm spending 98% of my time fighting with trying to get the right sounds out of my instrument. Downloading stock Nord Samples and sifting through them and tweaking them is time consuming as it is. If I have to go the route of building samples from scratch, I may do it. But I'd much prefer finding hardware or software that will simply let me have 3 (or 4) separate sample sources, rather than 2, that I can layer together.

I will have to think about this more...
reggoboy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 10 Oct 2021, 17:47

reggoboy wrote:Duh, I didn't even think of using an iOS device! Great idea. So using something like Garage Band and its built in sounds?
Yes, Garageband will work, but other apps are much better for this. Garageband doesn't let you restrict its input to a single MIDI channel, which basically means that you can't use a second MIDI sound app at the same time, if you ever want to. Also, I don't think it responds to MIDI Program Change, so all your sound changing has to be done on the iPad itself, rather than being able to seamlessly program the sound changes into your Nord. But there are tons of good iOS apps you can use, that will support Program Change commands and will respond on a single channel, allowing you to run two (or more) of these apps at a time, to get access to different sounds/capabilities.

reggoboy wrote: I guess then I'll need an external mixer to combine that audio back in; a complication I was hoping to avoid

Alternatively, you can take the iPad's audio output and put it into the Nord's Monitor In. Then use the Nord's headphone out jack as your main output, it will have the combined sound of the iPad and the Nord's own sounds. (On the NS3, the Monitor In signal is also routed to the main outs, but not on the NS2.)

reggoboy wrote:I'm really not trying to reinvent the wheel and start completely from scratch here. I'm really just trying to make music, and I'm spending 98% of my time fighting with trying to get the right sounds out of my instrument. Downloading stock Nord Samples and sifting through them and tweaking them is time consuming as it is. If I have to go the route of building samples from scratch, I may do it. But I'd much prefer finding hardware or software that will simply let me have 3 (or 4) separate sample sources, rather than 2, that I can layer together.

Yup, especially since you already have the iPad, I think that will ultimately be the better way to go. Better to use a board for what it was designed to do than to try to make it do something it wasn't designed to do. The NS3 gives you the EXT functions specifically so you can add more sounds from other devices, in case the sounds (or sound combinations) you want cannot be achieved with what's in the board.
Last edited by anotherscott on 15 Nov 2021, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby reggoboy » 10 Oct 2021, 19:10

anotherscott wrote:
reggoboy wrote:Duh, I didn't even think of using an iOS device! Great idea. So using something like Garage Band and its built in sounds?
Yes, Garageband will work, but other apps are much better for this...

I'll go looking, but if you can recommend one or two, that would be awesome.

anotherscott wrote:
reggoboy wrote: I guess then I'll need an external mixer to combine that audio back in; a complication I was hoping to avoid

Alternatively, you can take the iPad's audio output and put it into the Nord's Monitor In. Then use the Nord's headphone out jack as your main output, it will have the combined sound of the iPad and the Nord's own sounds.

Another great idea. Thanks so much! This looks like it's going to take some homework. I would want a solution that allows me to also power the iPad, so I'd need a splitter. And usually the headphone jacks have lousy audio, so I'd want to use a D/A converter. Would be awesome if a single "box" could handle power, MIDI, and audio...
reggoboy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby cphollis » 10 Oct 2021, 21:29

Once you start looking at integrating an iPad, it's another world of options and tradeoffs.

The suggestion of using the monitor input for a quick and dirty mix will sound much better (even through headphone jacks) than you expect, so at least give that a try.

Next step is an inexpensive-but-fiddly rig involving a USB interface, small mixer and power for everything. It works great for "playing the iPad", but not gig-worthy for me unless I put more effort into packaging, etc.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby catosim » 10 Oct 2021, 22:58

reggoboy wrote:
anotherscott wrote:

I'm using Korg iWavestation. Cool package, payed $30
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 11 Oct 2021, 01:14

reggoboy wrote:
anotherscott wrote:

What kinds of sounds in particular are you looking for?

reggoboy wrote:I would want a solution that allows me to also power the iPad, so I'd need a splitter.

What kind of connector does your iPad have? Lightning?

reggoboy wrote:And usually the headphone jacks have lousy audio, so I'd want to use a D/A converter.

As cphollis said, don't dismiss the headphone out without trying it.
anotherscott

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum