General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

New Stage 3 - reverb per panel issue

Postby surferEd » 04 Oct 2021, 11:25

Good morning,

I have upgraded from an electro 5 to a brand new Stage 3.
I love it and have little problem understanding most of it...I've run into something I don't understand yet.
Almost all of my user patches use splits and layers and I'm using all 4 outputs...I'm playing left hand bass and have the bass routed separately to the mixer.
I'm getting reverb that is acting differently than the manual says.
Example: Panel B has a piano bass on the left split and a flute on the right.
If I turn on Reverb....the bass gets reverb for days....and the flute is as dry as a, well, whistle.
That is a result different than expected...no, there is no rotary effect turned on.
If there is a brand new way to specify reverb in each section of a split...I can't figure out how to use it.
I'd love to have a dry bass and a wet flute....Just want to understand what is happening.
I know I can move the bass to panel A...but I'm still confused...because this keyboard is very straghtforward.
Thanks,

Ed
surferEd

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

New Stage 3 - reverb per panel issue

Sponsor

Re: New Stage 3 - reverb per panel issue

Postby Valpurgis » 04 Oct 2021, 16:19

Hlaalu wrote:Whether extending the Mains to 1-4 (which IS possible, and does extend Reverb (and Compression) all over the outputs) is compatible with your precise needs or not, I can't say...

Mains stereo out is never extended over all outputs. If you selected 1-4 as main outputs in means the two distinct outputs 1 and 4, leaving outputs 2 and 3 without compression and reverb.
Valpurgis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby AlexNagel » 04 Oct 2021, 17:11

Valpurgis wrote:
Hlaalu wrote:Whether extending the Mains to 1-4 (which IS possible, and does extend Reverb (and Compression) all over the outputs) is compatible with your precise needs or not, I can't say...

Mains stereo out is never extended over all outputs. If you selected 1-4 as main outputs in means the two distinct outputs 1 and 4, leaving outputs 2 and 3 without compression and reverb.

No, this is not as I remember it. 1-4 means outputs 3+4 duplicate outputs 1+2. Maybe without reverb, need to check that again...
Last edited by AlexNagel on 04 Oct 2021, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby surferEd » 04 Oct 2021, 21:35

thanks....I almost got it...enough to see that the board is doing what is expected.
So, what is different here than any of my other patches is that I had used a rhodes piano patch for the bass and had the setup routing all synth sounds on that panel to 3-4.

Where I should have looked was on my mixer to see that the bass channel was silent and everything on that patch was running into 1-2.

This helps me a lot moving forward...

I appreciate it.

Ed
surferEd

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Valpurgis » 04 Oct 2021, 23:06

Hlaalu wrote:Are you positive about this? I have always thought that 1-4 means the output is replicated across 1-2 and 3-4, as in left-right and left-right.

No, not positive any longer the manual states:
« This allows for setting which stereo output pair(s) or mono output to use for each panel. Range: Stereo 1-2 (Default), 3-4, 3, 4, 1-4. Sounds using the Rotary effect are always routed to outputs 1-2, regardless of Output Routing settings.»

I never tested and understood 1-4 as being output 1 and 4. But the phrase «stereo output pair(s)” probably mean as you say that 1-4 is 1-2 plus 3-4 two identical stereo outputs. Sorry!
Last edited by Valpurgis on 04 Oct 2021, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Valpurgis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Return to Nord Stage Forum